La Liga 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Haven't seen the match yet, but quite surprised by today's result. I didn't think the team would be fit and I expected a loss to be entirely honest. Glad I'm mistaken. Happy to see Fati grab a brace.

Atleti, who shouldn't be dismissed in the title race, with a big win. Suarez already putting points on the board with an excellent debut. Like I said, I think we could very well miss him. Still the best striker in the league if he's fully match fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I mean I respect that everyone has different preferences when it comes to footy, and based on that there will always be debates about different players and what they bring (I like Henderson as an example, where some people just cannot grasp what makes him great). I just don’t see what angle anyone can take to Ronaldo being a better player than Messi. I could maybe see trying to take the ‘he’s more proven in other leagues’ argument but that’s just a hypothetical to try and discredit Messi. We can only go by what we know and we know that while he’s played for Barcelona, regardless of the manager, he’s been the best player in the world pretty much without equal. Maybe a more accomplished season here or there by some individuals but that argument above seems really off base to me.

I’m not actually sure what that whole power thing even means.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The "power" thing is the funniest part of it. You are better, if you are better. Not because you are bigger and stronger. Thats not how football works.

I think the Ronaldo>Messi argument revolves around what they've accomplished internationally. I'm not saying I agree with it, but thats probably the best argument. Probably also a weak argument.

There's certainly also a real argument that Messi isn't the best player ever because of his lack of international titles. That stuff isn't his fault, but we are talking about the best players ever. At some point, that stuff starts mattering with the historic figures of the sport, even if a player isn't to blame.

The "could Messi do it on a Wednesday night at Turf Moor" stuff though is so unbelievably dumb. I'm not a Barcelona fan, like some of you, so I don't really care what team he plays for, but I'd love to see him score a goal per game in the Premier League to shut up these sorts of pundits.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Finally found the match online and was able to catch up. Scoreline flattered us, but the team was pretty solid. I liked the number of chances created and having a lot of players forward against a team packed in made it easier to press. That said I thought the team was somewhat lacking in intensity and we really need a 9. A few more takeaways as regards the players:
  • Fati was Man of the Match and should be a starter out on the left. I was saying as much in the latter stages of last season. There's competition in the team if he doesn't perform, but he most certainly isn't lacking in confidence nor should he be.
  • Alba is still needed and provided some nice width. Second best player after Fati.
  • Puig's absence is glaring. Really upsetting he isn't starting.
  • Griezmann simply doesn't fit. Nothing against him as he put in the work, but he doesn't fit. Trincao should have started ahead of him.
  • Coutinho doesn't fit either. Fits better in that 10 role, but he didn't offer up much.
  • Not sure why Messi wasn't in that 10 role. That said his best moments came from wide right. Still that would leave room for a proper 9 and two wingers who could provide better pressure.
  • Busquets didn't have a good match. Puig should start over him, but I think Pjanic will eventually. Pjanic was solid.
  • Not sure if Dembele is lacking confidence and/or he's afraid he's going to get injured again, but he looked slow and nonchalant.

Two things kept coming to me during the match, but especially in the first half where mind you we scored all the goals:
  • Like I've said before his sale and after, I think we're going to miss Suarez and could have done with him. His contract was rough to be sure, but Atleti isn't paying him the same wages and he could have done for another season all things considered. Again, for me I think domestic silverware is realistic and should be targeted.
  • I'd make some bold and many would say crazy offers in the transfer market. Since the club isn't trying to spend money they'd essentially be swap deals, but I'd look to make a splash. Realistically I don't think Bartomeau has the stomach for it and we don't even have a proper sporting director anymore. Still despite the lack of dance partners I'd say there are upwards of five clubs I'd consider sounding out with some crazy offers. Problem would be the wages of the players I'd be trying to offload.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Unless Griezz wakes up Fati and Trincao could end up starting before him. Surely I think Fati would do a better job than Griezz as striker right now

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
  • Not sure if Dembele is lacking confidence and/or he's afraid he's going to get injured again, but he looked slow and nonchalant.
I read this, and all I can think about is post 2013-14 season Daniel Sturridge. Same exact thing.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Poor Hazard and poor my fantasy team... great first round pick by me in the last draft.....

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The streets remember 13-14 Sturridge. World class
He was outstanding that year. Just kept getting injured and never trusted himself again.

and Sturridge at least had a reputation of (let’s say) being a better trainer than Dembele is. Really scared for Dembele if that’s the case

Reactions: YNWA14

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Atletico struggling to create offense against Huesca. Granted Huesca is playing a very good defensive game.
Joao Felix the only one creating any danger and Llorente hit one off the crossbar after a great play by Felix, that was pretty much all the action I saw. I quit watching at minute 75, they just ended 0-0

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Typical Simeone only caught the end which they pressured but not that many clear cut chances made.

So pretty much what I thought would happen lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad