Rumor: LA Kings with heavy interest in Landeskog

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If you're talking straight Corsi, that can be really deceiving. There's a reason Muzzin has the worst GA60 on his team, as evidenced by his disastrous performance last night. I think he might be in free fall mode.

Yes, the 30 game sample size invalidates his entire career. Good thinking.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
define blue chipper to me a team Canada defense man playing 37ish mins in a gold medal game is a blue chip prospect He had 6 points in the 7 games he played. Hes got 19 points in 24 games with Brandon this year. 14 points in the whl playoffs in 21 games. How do u think hes not a blue chip prospect :help:

all this and he is largely deemed more of a 2 way guy than an offensive d-man.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Agreed, both are looking like very good prospects. I think most would agree that Chabot is looking like the more higher end prospect, but that should not take away from Clague pedigree.

People like to dis the kings at every opportunity this is no different imo. I am willing to put money on how many king prospects make the nhl vs other teams picks. The kings have a lot of the pick in the nhl right now out of 23 players carter setogushi gaborik Gilbert muzzin and budja aren't king picks. That's a hell of a lot 17 king picks on the team but yeah our team has no prospects. I think that sorta proves we know how to develop players but yeah whatever

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
People like to dis the kings at every opportunity this is no different imo. I am willing to put money on how many king prospects make the nhl vs other teams picks. The kings have a lot of the pick in the nhl right now out of 23 players carter setogushi gaborik Gilbert muzzin and budja aren't king picks. That's a hell of a lot 17 king picks on the team but yeah our team has no prospects. I think that sorta proves we know how to develop players but yeah whatever

McNabb was a Buffalo pick and Greene was Edmonton I believe (hey if you list Gilbert you should list Greene)

I get your point though this team has been created from within.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

What on earth are you rambling about? They have the 30th ranked prospect system in the league. Who is currently on their team has nothing to do with that. Kempe has been horrid in the AHL this year, Zykov is a bust, Mersch is 24 years old and still not in the NHL.

With the exception of Clague, who in that system has realistic potential to be anything more than a 3rd liner or bottom pairing defenseman. I'm not trying to troll, maybe you've seen them play more than the scouts have and know better. I just don't get why you're so defensive about people saying they don't have very many good prospects.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
What on earth are you rambling about? They have the 30th ranked prospect system in the league. Who is currently on their team has nothing to do with that. Kempe has been horrid in the AHL this year, Zykov is a bust, Mersch is 24 years old and still not in the NHL.

With the exception of Clague, who in that system has realistic potential to be anything more than a 3rd liner or bottom pairing defenseman. I'm not trying to troll, maybe you've seen them play more than the scouts have and know better. I just don't get why you're so defensive about people saying they don't have very many good prospects.

Zykov also is not Kings property. The kings may not have MANY good prospects but they do have a few.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

Kings put players in the nhl period. Your ranking of our prospects are just that rankings. I would put money on all the king prospects we have ( not played one game in nhl yet) vs any other club and in 10 years we see what percentage played in the nhl I am betting our scouting staff will be higher then any other. Considering where the kings draft picks were in the last 5 years I'll out our scouting up against anyones in the nhl

Names that will be playing in the nhl imo kempe augar (mersch will but has already played so not on my list) Ladue Brodzinski Amadio Watson Erik Cernak Moverare Sharipzyanov and Clague. I'm just going off the top of head i hope king fans will add to this list. The kings have been drafting a lot of defense man and they excel at developing them. Lets remember that the kings stress defense first and there draft picks also reflect this. We may not have the shiney top 6 forwards all drool about but there is talent in this system that is overlooked imo

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
There's no obvious Kings/Avs deal for Landeskog. Like has been said, Muzzin isn't young young. Not old, but not any more upside to his game. I don't know what happened to him this year, but he looked as shaky the few times he played in the World Cup as he has for the Kings basically all season.

If the Avs want a younger defenseman, the Kings have Forbort, Gravel, and then maybe a couple guys in the AHL. Clague played for Canada at the World Juniors. Forbort has finally become at least a non-1st round bust this year, but he's still only played 55 NHL games. Tough to know exactly what he is yet.

The issue there is that the Kings have a lot of cap space taken up, especially by Brown and Gaborik, and so a deal for any of those younger defensemen has to get more complicated, as the cap has to get figured out in that equation. I don't imagine the Avs have any need for Brown or Gaborik, even at 50%, so again, everything just gets more complicated.

If GM's want to do a deal, they can find a way to get deals done, but the Avs have the upper hand in this situation. Their season is all but over, and there's no rush for them to get rid of Landeskog. I don't know their exact expansion draft outlook, but I know the Kings risk losing someone they would rather not lose if they don't do anything. Plus they're sitting on the edge of the playoff race, and it could go either way. Lombardi has to make Sakic want to trade Landeskog to him, which isn't easy when you don't really have an upper hand any which way you look at it.

Thank you for this honest and well thought-out post. It's truly refreshing.

Kings put players in the nhl period. Your ranking of our prospects are just that rankings. I would put money on all the king prospects we have ( not played one game in nhl yet) vs any other club and in 10 years we see what percentage played in the nhl I am betting our scouting staff will be higher then any other. Considering where the kings draft picks were in the last 5 years I'll out our scouting up against anyones in the nhl

Names that will be playing in the nhl imo kempe augar (mersch will but has already played so not on my list) Ladue Brodzinski Amadio Watson Erik Cernak Moverare Sharipzyanov and Clague. I'm just going off the top of head i hope king fans will add to this list. The kings have been drafting a lot of defense man and they excel at developing them. Lets remember that the kings stress defense first and there draft picks also reflect this. We may not have the shiney top 6 forwards all drool about but there is talent in this system that is overlooked imo

I really liked what I saw from watching Austin Wagner earlier this season.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

I also think drafting D is because of where LA has been drafting in the last 5 years. Typically the sexy forwards get taken earlier in the draft where as the D who take longer to develop fall a bit.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I also think drafting D is because of where LA has been drafting in the last 5 years. Typically the sexy forwards get taken earlier in the draft where as the D who take longer to develop fall a bit.

totally agree for were we drafted and how many picks we had we are doing well with all that considering. Its easy to draft in the top 10 of a draft imo It takes more talent to get picks later in the draft to develop into nhl players Something im sure isn't factored into them lists

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Kings are the last team in NHL to do some trade. No spare prospects neither they are extra strong up front or back, so trading somebody like Toffoli or Muzzin would be huge mistake.

agree on toffoli going absolutely no where imo Muzzin on the other hand It would set our d back a little for sure but if the player we get for him is a core add legit top line winger i would be ok with it Kings younger d is getting better and showing the deserve more time. Out of drew martinez and muzzin Muzzin would be the one i would trade. Martinez put points on the board in important situations like ot

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

The problem is people mistake the lack of bluechippers for lack of prospects period when the Kings actually have a good stable of guys who will fill roles well because they don't NEED to be first-liners and top-pairing guys...and even then, I'd argue a few of them have that upside anyway, including Kempe and Clague. Mersch, Amadio, Cernak, Ladue, Watson all have upside as do a lot of their darkhorses like Wagner, Brodzinski, Matt Luff, Mikey Eyssimont, etc. And, of course, that's ignoring guys like Dowd, Forbort, and Gravel who are actually in the show this year and playing prominent roles.

So saying they don't have many good prospects, yeah, that's going to make people defensive when you talk about the prospect pipeline-to-roster that the Kings have had going this entire decade. No one is under the delusion that they're near the top, particularly since they haven't picked high in forever and kept coughing up 1sts, but simply because they don't have the sexy name recognition is no reason to suggest they don't have moveable assets.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
The problem is people mistake the lack of bluechippers for lack of prospects period when the Kings actually have a good stable of guys who will fill roles well because they don't NEED to be first-liners and top-pairing guys...and even then, I'd argue a few of them have that upside anyway, including Kempe and Clague. Mersch, Amadio, Cernak, Ladue, Watson all have upside as do a lot of their darkhorses like Wagner, Brodzinski, Matt Luff, Mikey Eyssimont, etc. And, of course, that's ignoring guys like Dowd, Forbort, and Gravel who are actually in the show this year and playing prominent roles.

So saying they don't have many good prospects, yeah, that's going to make people defensive when you talk about the prospect pipeline-to-roster that the Kings have had going this entire decade. No one is under the delusion that they're near the top, particularly since they haven't picked high in forever and kept coughing up 1sts, but simply because they don't have the sexy name recognition is no reason to suggest they don't have moveable assets.

ty better way to put what i ve been saying :handclap:

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Every team has those type of prospects. And they rarely pan out if we are honest.

Kings have one of the worst prospect pools in the league. And that makes sense after all those years of contention. Nothing to be ashamed about. It got you multiple cups.

But the reality is that those guys are not special. At all. They are really not worth much in a trade of the magnitude we are talking about.

So a trade centered around them won't work.

I still think Iginla makes the most sense. Kings play at a pace he might be able to keep up with and their overall style could fit his game.

If it is for Landeskog or Duchene, I will probably have to open a few nasty threads about our management on HFAvs.

Hope I don't get myself banned...

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Every team has those type of prospects. And they rarely pan out if we are honest.

Kings have one of the worst prospect pools in the league. And that makes sense after all those years of contention. Nothing to be ashamed about. It got you multiple cups.

But the reality is that those guys are not special. At all. They are really not worth much in a trade of the magnitude we are talking about.

I still think Iginla makes the most sense. Kings play at a pace he might be able to keep up with and their overall style could fit his game.

If it is for Landeskog or Duchene, I will probably have to open a few nasty threads about our management on HFAvs.

agreed but the kings have a history of having them make it That is all we are trying to say They may not be the top end players but they will be nhl players none the less

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

Fine. They have moveable assets. Sorry to come off condescending as an outsider(this is directed to Kingcanadian too but I'm on a phone so I can't multiquote right now) But can you agree that compared to basically every other team in the league, they are at a disadvantage in that regard? I get it, they haven't drafted high and they've traded their 1st round picks recently. But in order to get a Landeskog you have to have a blue chip defense prospect IMO. So unless Colorado really loves Clague I just don't see it getting done. Muzzin/Martinez makes no sense for a team in Colorado's position. I think the Kings can get a lesser winger that isn't as young as Landeskog, absolutely. The question for LA will be is it even worth it or should they retool? I don't have an opinion on that really as I'm not a fan of the team

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The only trade that really makes sense for the Avs (if they are not as dumb as many of their fans claim them to be) is Landeskog for a young-ish high-end D-man on a similar salary. Lindholm from the Ducks would be a perfect example (i'm NOT proposing that though). If the Avs are in love with Muzzin then that might work too but I just don't see how he fits in Colorado.

Anyway, talking about prospects in a Landeskog deal doesn't make sense unless they are the sweetener. Clague doesn't even come close to getting Landeskog in this world or any other.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Fine. They have moveable assets. Sorry to come off condescending as an outsider(this is directed to Kingcanadian too but I'm on a phone so I can't multiquote right now) But can you agree that compared to basically every other team in the league, they are at a disadvantage in that regard? I get it, they haven't drafted high and they've traded their 1st round picks recently. But in order to get a Landeskog you have to have a blue chip defense prospect IMO. So unless Colorado really loves Clague I just don't see it getting done. Muzzin/Martinez makes no sense for a team in Colorado's position. I think the Kings can get a lesser winger that isn't as young as Landeskog, absolutely. The question for LA will be is it even worth it or should they retool? I don't have an opinion on that really as I'm not a fan of the team

no i can't because i honestly think they have a better coaching /development system then most of the nhl. Which is why we have so many king developed players on the roster. I also think that it will be more of a hockey trade then us throwing a bunch of prospects. A team can go a couple of routes to rebuild and a major part of any rebuild is a top pairing d and muzzin would speed up any rebuild the avs could do. Also there is nothing stopping them from flipping him to a contender with the pieces they need. Also wanted to say ty apology accepted :) not many people would have done that so tiping my hat to you for it

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Dennis Bernstein ‏@DennisTFP 1m1 minute ago
Avalanche continue to track Kings/Stars. Sr Pro Scout at Ontario Reign v Texas Stars game this evening.

Looks like the kings may have some prospects that the avs may want What do you know

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

No shame here and I mostly agree with you, though I think that's being a bit dismissive of at least the top end, like Kempe, as well as of the Kings' development staff, which just year after year churns out roster players more than almost any team in the league. Then again, that's no surprise, since many Avs fans in this thread also don't feel Muzzin is a top-pair d-man.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Iggy for Kempe book it.

That would be appalling.

Our best forward prospect for a few months of nearly-empty-tank Iginla while we're a borderline playoff team would be counter to everything this org. has said about assets moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad