GDT: LA Kings vs Colorado Avalanche 10/2/14 7pm MST l The "What's a 'Win'?" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If Doughty plays this game, we will lose. The guy has to be one of the most insane beast's I've seen on Olympic size ice.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
When Doughty cares, he is one of the most impressive beasts on any ice. He just has an extra gear he can access any time he wants to.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
From the GDT that was deleted (sorry Freud but this one was posted first ;))

It's played on Olympic sized ice.

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Briere
O'Reilly - Duchene - Tanguay
McLeod - Cliche - Talbot
Everberg - Agozzino - Rendulic

? ?
? ?
? ?

Berra

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So a mix and match of the top 3 lines for the top 6, the 4th line, and the extras.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
As long as we win the corsi battle, we're fine right? The nerds commandeered the league and that gets you into the playoffs now right?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I guess since the last PGDT was closed, I'll respond to a post in that thread here as to the (seemingly) popular notion that Duchene/O'Reilly and Landeskog/MacKinnon should be paired all the time, no exceptions:

They're great together? What else do you really need? I like the idea of pairing each of our stud offensive centers with an excellent two-way winger, which both O'Reilly and Landeskog are.

Duchene and O'Reilly have a lot of chemistry and they played the best hockey of their careers while playing together. They play off each other so well and O'Reilly always knows where to go when Duchene is spinning around and doing his thing down low. In the defensive zone O'Reilly makes things much easier for Duchene as well.

I guess we'll see how MacKinnon and Landeskog look without Stastny but on paper I like it. Landeskog is a very good playmaker, he'll go into the dirty areas to make a play in the offensive zone, and he'll also take a lot of pressure off MacKinnon in the defensive zone.

Frankly, Landeskog/O'Reilly should be tried again. The way they're playing, even the best offenses in the NHL wouldn't score on them.

The team has so many weapons up front, so many possible combinations, that Roy should be open to all kinds of possibilities. There's nothing that suggests O'Reilly's game or Duchene's will regress horribly if that pairing is broken up. Same w/Landy and MacK. I don't see why Roy doesn't try a Tangs/MacK/Iginla line or tries Duchene with them. Hell, throw Briere into that mix as well.

And as I have posted elsewhere, and some of you are probably already tired of reading, O'Reilly is a better two-way center than he is a two-way winger.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Frankly, Landeskog/O'Reilly should be tried again. The way they're playing, even the best offenses in the NHL wouldn't score on them.

The team has so many weapons up front, so many possible combinations, that Roy should be open to all kinds of possibilities. There's nothing that suggests O'Reilly's game or Duchene's will regress horribly if that pairing is broken up. Same w/Landy and MacK. I don't see why Roy doesn't try a Tangs/MacK/Iginla line or tries Duchene with them. Hell, throw Briere into that mix as well.

And as I have posted elsewhere, and some of you are probably already tired of reading, O'Reilly is a better two-way center than he is a two-way winger.

Avs can't afford having their two best two-way players on the same line when Duchene/MacKinnon are average at best when it comes to defense.

Pretty much everyone looks much better playing with Landeskog. O'Reilly isn't needed on that line. It's better to have O'Reilly with Duchene. O'Reilly and Duchene also have developed a give and go game around the net that works well.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Yeah, but Rocklobster quoted Freudian's post with the line-up which has incorrect information then.

Just wanted clarification.

Roy announced Varlamov as the starter earlier, but it seems he have changed his mind.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I guess since the last PGDT was closed, I'll respond to a post in that thread here as to the (seemingly) popular notion that Duchene/O'Reilly and Landeskog/MacKinnon should be paired all the time, no exceptions:

So where would MacKinnon play? If his long-term future is at Center then he needs to play Center. He can't play with Duchene, as the times they were on the ice together last year it wasn't good.

O'Reilly with Duchene works, and works good--end of story. Hoping to recreate something from 3 seasons ago at the expense of what we know works now is not smart at all.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So where would MacKinnon play? If his long-term future is at Center then he needs to play Center. He can't play with Duchene, as the times they were on the ice together last year it wasn't good.

O'Reilly with Duchene works, and works good--end of story. Hoping to recreate something from 3 seasons ago at the expense of what we know works now is not smart at all.

Okay, so put him at center then. Where did I say they need to put MacKinnon on the wing? I agree they should never put Duchene and MacKinnon together...maybe someday they can run a power play together but results so far have been disastrous.

And that's ridiculous to say "end of story." Hey, EJ and Hejda didn't work the first time they were put together...END OF STORY.

This isn't about "recreating" anything. Both players are much, much better than they were three seasons ago. They wouldn't just be good, they'd be dominant, and against the opposition's best players. Just because something "works" doesn't means something else might work better. That's just silly talk to be that rigid.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
How about:
ROR MacK Landy
Tangs Duchene Iggy

Or swap centers, though I prefer to balance the defensive skill like this, at least until MacK gets that part of his game clicking...in December :)

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The only option I can think of is to put the two old guys, Tanguay and Iginla, with MacKinnon, and stack the top line with ROR, Duchene, and Landy. I think you have to keep MacKinnon at center, he's just going to get better once he plays it more.

I just think Landy and MacKinnon are going to overpower a lot of teams over the next several years.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

I would say he is a better 2way winger in this system. He can still have the same D resposibilities as he did when at C. But he is now more of a finisher and secondary playmaker on O which is more suited for his talents/skills than being THE playmaker and main driver of a line on offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad