Kings Article: LA Kings Rob Blake And That Big Elephant In The Room

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
In case some of you were unaware, Rogie Vachon was a King for 7 seasons, and he bolted for Detroit as soon as he became a free agent, Won a Vezina in '68 when he was a Canadien, and appeared in 3 All-Star games, with no entry in the HOF. Not saying his number doesn't belong there, but after Gretzky, the only star this team has was Blake until Ziggy Palffy was acquired.

The highest scoring LW in NHL history wasn't a bigger star than Ziggy Palffy?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The highest scoring LW in NHL history wasn't a bigger star than Ziggy Palffy?

He wasn't a King between 1994 and 1997, missed most of his first season, but bounced back in '98, and then was lowballed by the team and left in 2001. That's how much the management thought of Luc at the time.

Captain Mittens*

He wasn't a King between 1994 and 1997, missed most of his first season, but bounced back in '98, and then was lowballed by the team and left in 2001. That's how much the management thought of Luc at the time.

They did the dame team to him that they did to Blake with the "Last final offer"

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Some of these guys are going to get bigger cheers than Blake.

Well, maybe not, Doug Zmolek, Jay Miller, Kudelski? This is the best they could do?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Imagine having a player like Blake on this roster to go with Doughty. Would make for a scary good blueline. Closest player to Blake today would probably be Weber.

It's also a bit disappointing that Dave Taylor couldn't be there. And no, he's not at fault for the Blake negotiations in 2001.

Dawdler

Run to the Hills!!
Aug 2, 2005
The bolded is ultimately what bothers me about it and as one of the articles mentioned, fans may not know the details about the behind the scenes issues, fans do recognize imagery and the imagery of Blake they mostly remember is him in a Colorado jersey on the opposing side of the ice in the playoffs and until 2012, the furthest the Kings had gotten in the playoffs since the failed cup run. All the way to a game 7 no less. He also re-signs in Colorado after winning the cup.

That's profound imagery, his fault or not, for a lot of fans.

I think his number will be up there, I just don't think accomplishments are the sole criteria for a proper jersey retirement.

the profound imagery that will always stick with me was his first game back and he was being booed out of the building, he goes behind the net at the end of the 1st period and he is just frozen back there not moving for what felt like hours, I think that's when he decided he would never big a King at heart and his public demeanor shows that and fans feed off it.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
He's one of yours Luc, that's for sure.

For many of us he doesn't belong.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Watch Dean, he looks pissed, or like he has indigestion.

Now he is checking his phone. LOL.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Blake sounds like such an awful human being. Are jerseys of Blake being burned in effigy outside Staples Center?

Nowhere has anyone criticized him as a human being. This is about being a Los Angeles King. Being a Los Angeles King is about 1% of any player's identity as a human being.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Again, from a player's perspective. Not from a fan's perspective.

It is about what the player meant to the organization, and how he represented the team on and off the ice.

You never hear anyone say a bad thing about him, least not from any of his teammates or opponents or staff members. Not a single person on staff spoke negatively about Blake, even when that fiasco of a negotiation took place in 2001.

Even Leiweke said one day he'd have his number in the rafters and they honored the sacrifices he made to the team by not having a single player where his number since the day he left.

That should tell you something about what he meant to the team.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It is about what the player meant to the organization, and how he represented the team on and off the ice.

You never hear anyone say a bad thing about him, least not from any of his teammates or opponents or staff members. Not a single person on staff spoke negatively about Blake, even when that fiasco of a negotiation took place in 2001.

Even Leiweke said one day he'd have his number in the rafters and they honored the sacrifices he made to the team by not having a single player where his number since the day he left.

That should tell you something about what he meant to the team.

Again, if the fans aren't the biggest part of the organization, the Kings are missing the boat. I will say classy move to bring Norstrom back to the podium and to help raise the banner.

Interesting selection on the jersey. That's the only era from which I have fond memories of Blake even though he was often injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad