Kings Article: LA Kings Prospect Jonny Brodzinski: “I Feel Like It’s My Turn Nowâ€

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Yes, if Brodzinski gets 10 goals its a huge success for him. I doubt it makes a big difference as to where the Kings finish in the standings.

As many have said he seems to be a tweener. Does he play on the 2nd line at all? Probably not.

Will he get 10 goals playing in the bottom six? Probably not.

Or, maybe he gets 19 goals this year, helping the Kings into the playoffs, but then never matches it again. Who knows. The NHL is a day to day league. Maybe he makes the team, gets 5 goals in 10 games right off the bat because Gaborik is out, but only gets 7 more in the other 70 games because he plays with Shore at ES. Maybe he does play on the 2nd line. Maybe he's on the 4th line. Maybe Stevens opens things up. Maybe he doesn't trust anyone.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Or, maybe he gets 19 goals this year, helping the Kings into the playoffs, but then never matches it again. Who knows. The NHL is a day to day league. Maybe he makes the team, gets 5 goals in 10 games right off the bat because Gaborik is out, but only gets 7 more in the other 70 games because he plays with Shore at ES. Maybe he does play on the 2nd line. Maybe he's on the 4th line. Maybe Stevens opens things up. Maybe he doesn't trust anyone.

If ifs and buts were candies and nuts...

bob77

Nov 19, 2014

Brods can shoot. Pure sniper like. Quick release, good fast hands. If he can find some soft spots and have someone get him the puck, and he settles down, he could be a gem. Could be very good on a well organized PP unit also. He's done it at all levels, so this is his chance to ramp it up a notch here. If they start going in for him, he could get very streaky. Confidence built. I'd start him out on a first or second line. We have to find out if he can perform at this level. And now!! His shot is arguably the best on the team. Imo

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
10 ES goals out of Brodz would be a dynamite season out of a first year NHL player.

People still don't realize how hard it is to score in the NHL.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I don't deny that, but he also just turned 24. Considering he was a 5th round pick, if they get 10 goals from him that's a huge success, no matter his age.

Doesn't always come down to that. He can still be sent down without clearing waivers. Since it's all about asset management, unless he wins the spot on the team, he may not make the team. He may make the team if Gaborik isn't ready for game 1, but whenever Gaborik is ready to go, that might also factor in. Only time will tell.

People can say send Nolan or Andreoff down, that solves it. I don't care how rich an owner is though, they tend to not want to pay guys NHL money in the AHL. Especially since ownership has already been paying NHL money to some guys that have been sent to the AHL the last few years. And not gotten their money's worth in the NHL at the same time. Plus paying Richards, plus Greene, to not play in a Kings jersey.

Just have to wait and see.

Also I believe the AHL team can have only so many Veterans on the roster making NHL money. Holden is much better with the CBA stuff than me.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If ifs and buts were candies and nuts...

Well, if they suck, they suck. What can you do? At this point, it's not even disappointing. The team as a whole, and individual top players, have come up so small in big games, or entire seasons, over the last 3 years, that we've seen it. If Kopitar gets 10 goals, we've seen him get 16 and 12, so what's the difference? We've seen them not beat a McDavid-less Oilers team in a must win game, or blow a multi-goal lead at home to the non-playoff Jets, or get owned on home ice by a main rival in the Sharks for a couple years.

I can wait to see all the questions get answered, one way or another. I don't have to know with absolute certainty what will absolutely happen during the season on September 6th. Maybe Brodzinski gets 3 goals, maybe he gets 20. Maybe Kopitar gets 10, maybe he gets 24. None of us would watch if we knew what was going to happen ahead of time.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
After reading this thread, it appears that some are going to pass judgment on Brodzinski after one season, or even after the first few months.

Judging any prospect after his first full season in the NHL is really misguided, no disrespect intended. Most players take 2-3 years to learn how to play the game at the NHL level.

Remember, most prospects aren't among the top 10 (or even the top 5, really) picks in their respective drafts.

This simply isn't how it works, folks.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
After reading this thread, it appears that some are going to pass judgment on Brodzinski after one season, or even after the first few months.

Judging any prospect after his first full season in the NHL is really misguided, no disrespect intended. Most players take 2-3 years to learn how to play the game at the NHL level.

Remember, most prospects aren't among the top 10 (or even the top 5, really) picks in their respective drafts.

This simply isn't how it works, folks.
I certainly am not saying he's going to be a dynamite player, I'm just saying theres no one to really challenge him for a spot since our prospect pool isnt stacked.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Well, if they suck, they suck. What can you do? At this point, it's not even disappointing. The team as a whole, and individual top players, have come up so small in big games, or entire seasons, over the last 3 years, that we've seen it. If Kopitar gets 10 goals, we've seen him get 16 and 12, so what's the difference? We've seen them not beat a McDavid-less Oilers team in a must win game, or blow a multi-goal lead at home to the non-playoff Jets, or get owned on home ice by a main rival in the Sharks for a couple years.

I can wait to see all the questions get answered, one way or another. I don't have to know with absolute certainty what will absolutely happen during the season on September 6th. Maybe Brodzinski gets 3 goals, maybe he gets 20. Maybe Kopitar gets 10, maybe he gets 24. None of us would watch if we knew what was going to happen ahead of time.

You can move older players with value and acquire assets for the future.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You can move older players with value and acquire assets for the future.

If they shows no signs of life as this season unfolds, they may finally do that.

They still have Doughty, so they're not going to do it right now. I know the smart thing is to have done it already, but the vast majority of teams don't throw in the towel until they're forced to, no matter how bad their organizational future looks at the moment. Hoping they do won't make it happen any faster, the same way hoping Brodzinski saves the team doesn't mean it'll happen. Going by the trade him a year too early theory, they should've traded Kopitar right after the last Cup, because it's been downhill for him since. The career worst season in 14-15, then the retirement contract in 15-16, then the newest career worst season last year. Nobody was thinking trade Kopitar in 2014 though, it was only after the first career worst season, which is the opposite of buy low/sell high. Then, unfortunately, the Kings were in the middle of trying to win the division when Kopitar got his contract, and now they're stuck.

Since the loss to SJ, the Kings haven't done anything. They've kept their picks, and added marginal free agents on the cheap. They're on the way rebuilding, but are waiting to see if this core has anything left, and more importantly, what Doughty will do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad