Speculation: LA Kings Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
Well that was disappointing. It's gonna be a long frustrating off season I fear! Here are my thoughts going into the summer.

Fire Todd! When the ESPN announcers start to call you out as well as a lot of the knowledgeable fan base, it's time to go.

Blake I'm on the fence about. Having screwed up on back to back high first round picks is going to be a huge issue in the near future. I think he makes it one more season then gets canned as well as koala. I'd give Hiller a shot. Sturm needs to go also, like yesterday.

Clarke full time role next season as well as Spence. Spence should have had a full time role this season but another failure by Blake and Koala playing Walker, Edler, and Durzi over him. There's no reason those 3 we're playing over him.

Trade Walker, and Durzi and one of the forwards to open a slot. (free Arty please)

Thank God we will never see Edler lace them up again.

Sign Grav and Korpi to reasonable deals. With Korpi I think he signs for a very reasonable deal with having a so so performance in the playoffs. Any goalie is going to get exposed by Mcdavid and Leon.

Axl to return so we can hear what excuses he comes up with in regards to Koala.

The press and yes you included @All The Kings Men to stop lobbing Todd and Rob soft balls all the time. Please start asking hard questions or call them out on certain decisions that didn't work out.

Gonna be a long summer, but let's get the conversation started.

Last edited:

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
It’s been rough. Something is dreadfully wrong in the development portion of our team.

Turcotte looks to be a bust. I blame development team bringing him into AHL right away and not letting him stay with college. Feel for him.

Byfield has been a disappointment. He looks like an offensive black hole and when the camera pans to him on the bench he looks...timid? Scared? Unconfident?

Kupari has been mishandled. Bringing him over at 18 was clearly a mistake.

Bjornfot had a decent first season in the NHL but then management decided he wasn’t good enough and was banished to the AHL.

Fagemo can't buy his way onto the team.

Akil Thomas exploded.

Tyler madden is a bust.

Lias Aandersoon won’t make it to the NHL. Bust.

Spence can’t buy a roster position (and I feel he’s better than Durzi).

Cal Peterson imploded and he’s now a bust. Least he got his money.

Next year we have a 37 year old playing 20+ minutes a night.

A few years ago the Kings were looked at as a top 3 prospect farm team in the league. Now we have Clarke and that is it for blue chips.

We need to clean house of our development team. What a disaster. Whoever sold leadership that we can contend has feel stupid. Vegas and Edmonton have 2-3 more years at this level. Colorado is a force and only weakened from so many injuries to the team. In 2-3 years Anaheim should be on the rise. Good luck contending in any way with Kopitar at 40 and your only hope is believing Matthews will sign with LA.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
This definitely stings but it’s not like you need to blow this team up. Just gotta make some tweaks and get better for next year. We know what the deficiencies are and need to address them. Good chance Edmonton goes all the way this year. I mean what was that stat last night they hadn’t lost in regulation in how many games? They are a good team.

Reactions: David Lunch

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
This definitely stings but it’s not like you need to blow this team up. Just gotta make some tweaks and get better for next year. We know what the deficiencies are and need to address them. Good chance Edmonton goes all the way this year. I mean what was that stat last night they hadn’t lost in regulation in how many games? They are a good team.
I believe it’s in the mid 20’s.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009

We said this last year with LHD and nothing was done at all to address the position. We can give credit acquiring Fiala but we still did nothing until the deadline came and paid a premium price for 2 expiring contracts who could very well leave us and being back to square 1.

We lost in faster fashion than last year. Next year will be a 37 year old first line center and some hopes byfield will take a large step forward.

Edmonton is a great team with an average goalie. I could see Vegas defeating them.

Reactions: GameNight

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
I still pissed they exposed McNabb and kept Forbort. This team needs a physical guy on D like McNabb.

Also not going to say who at the AHL level is or is not a bust. I think after watching Vilardi wait til his 23rd year to find himself, I will give others the same opportunity. Most people wanted him shipped out for any kind of a pick.
Kempe didn't find his game til what age 24 or 25.

That said the trades and vets on the roster many of the AHL guys are currently blocked anyway at least on the forward/center position.

Right or wrong it seems to take Kings prospects awhile to develop. Maybe it is the approach of the do your time in the AHL.

They sccored 104 points with 2 very bad goalies in the first 2 months of the season. Kopi will be going into his final year of his deal. I would expect an extension with a discount to help open up more cap space.

Gabe gonna get a raise, you also have Anderson-Dolan, Kupari, Bjornfoot all with expiring RFA deals. Several guys at the AHL level.
I think you need to force feed Turcotte into the NHL, his deal expires year after next and you need to see what you got. But would that mean Kupari out?

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
The captain should always go down with the ship. In this case I am not taking about Kopitar, I am taking about the team President.

Luc goes for not giving the team identity.

Blake goes for being responsible for this incredibly vanilla team.

Yanetti goes for a horrible draft record.

Todd goes for putting out the 4th line against McDavids line, playing the Elder, er Edler, and just continuously making incredibly poor personnel decisions.

Schwack Em Players -
Durzi, way too many boneheaded plays and giveaways for a player who is going to only demand higher and higher salary.

Grundy, didn’t finish a check, no goals, one of too many vanilla players. If you are going to play 4th line minutes, be knicknamed Tonka and not blow anyone up……get outta here!

Lizotte, too many penalties for a smurf. I love his heart, speed but the smaller stature may work for goal scorers like DeBrincat but not so much in the bottom 6.

Elder Edler, Via Con Dios, bruh

Kupari, another first round nothing

Walker, while he played better in the end, the list of RD’s waiting to play on ELC’s makes him expendable.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
It’s been rough. Something is dreadfully wrong in the development portion of our team.

Turcotte looks to be a bust. I blame development team bringing him into AHL right away and not letting him stay with college. Feel for him.

Byfield has been a disappointment. He looks like an offensive black hole and when the camera pans to him on the bench he looks...timid? Scared? Unconfident?

Kupari has been mishandled. Bringing him over at 18 was clearly a mistake.

Bjornfot had a decent first season in the NHL but then management decided he wasn’t good enough and was banished to the AHL.

Fagemo can't buy his way onto the team.

Akil Thomas exploded.

Tyler madden is a bust.

Lias Aandersoon won’t make it to the NHL. Bust.

Spence can’t buy a roster position (and I feel he’s better than Durzi).

Cal Peterson imploded and he’s now a bust. Least he got his money.

Next year we have a 37 year old playing 20+ minutes a night.
This happens when you don't rebuild a rebuild.
Any other team plays the youngsters they have and sacrifice short term success while collecting more draft picks, this is what rebuilds do.

We took all the parts for a rebuild and parked them in the garage, still using the parts that have proven to not get the job done anymore, to have a fantasy playoff run to please god know who.

Pair this with trading away draft picks for players that don't break us out of this situation will lead to a black hole of nothingness.
I don't even blame Blake entirely for that, to this season he did great being patient, not trading away futures for fantasy.
This request of success comes from the ownership level, i don't have another explanation why players like Iafallo or Moore get 4 mill per year

The right approach would have been to end the oldie chapter and rebuild a true rebuild.
We would already look great with Byfield, Kupari and Kaliev playing top minutes without fear of punishment.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary

Uhmmm... i see him as one of the few highlights.
With the insane limited minutes he got he did awesome stuff.
He has great speed, game vision and poise, which lead to a couple of times running over the Oilers.
If any, he needs top minutes with other fast players like Fiala or Kempe.

Again, he is a playmaking center and should used as such.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
- Sign Gavrikov
- Continue to look at options in net
- Add SIZE AND TOUGHNESS
- Move a forward or two out
- Goodbye Sean Walker/Alex Edler
- Turcotte is a bust
- Byfield needs to have more than 3 goals next season
- f*** Zack MacEwen (Not literally though.)
- Find a spot for Kaliyev in the top six or move him.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
No players playing over expectations--except Kempe--is on the coach.

No propsects emerging over expectations is on management and development.

I can blame players till I'm blue in the face but a cap team that is far less than the sum of its parts means the behind-the-scenes is to blame.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Welp, it was an exciting series but it’s time to focus on how to improve them..
Gavrikov was great but if his rumored ask if correct, Blake need to be smart and sign two LHD immediately in the off-season..
Carson Soucy and Brian Dumoulin are who I’d target..
Arvidsson, Iafallo, Durzi, Walker and Possibly Roy need to be moved out to clear salary, spots and gain capital to potentially move Cal..
Gabe needs to be signed LT and Rasmus is likely to blossom into a defensive stud with offensive potential.. yes, he really can

I still stand by my comments from the beginning of the season… Todd needs to go, he’s a great builder of structure but he isn’t the guy that takes you far.

Kempe - Kopitar - Kaliyev

Moore - Danault - Kupari

Fiala - Byfield - Vilardi

Lucic/Tonka - Lizzo - JAD/Reaves

Anderson - Doughty

Soucy - Clarke

Dumoulin - Spence

Korpisalo
Copley

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Offseason needs--

• Address cap--some deals are looking really painful right now, including Moore and Petersen. Iafallo acquitted himself very well in the playoffs thankfully.
  • Address waiver-eligible players--what a waste of assets. This offseasons waiver eligible players: JAD, Andersson, Grundstrom, Moverare, Bjornfot, Fagemo, Kupari, Madden, Thomas. 2024--Turcotte, Byfield, Spence.
  • Recoup picks--maybe in trading some of the above.
  • Address LHD and pipeline.
  • Address Goaltending and pipeline.

I think they have to find a way to shed one mid-tier contract and that's going to be extremely difficult.

Forwards:
Resign Vilardi, obviously
Get Kupari cheap, if possible. One year. "show me" deal. I love his size and speed on the forecheck. But I wouldn't be heartbroken if he were gone.
Personally, I'd re-sign JAD and let him into the bottom six, but he's getting the Toby treatment.
Let Lias walk, or AHL deal.
It's time to save a middle-six spot for guys like Fagemo and Turcotte.
hardest part--find a taker for Moore. Love him, but self-inflicted cap casualty.
Unpopular opinion--trade Kaliyev. They're clearly not interested in a top six spot for him. If they are, sub in for middle six LW.

Iafallo-Kopitar-Kempe
Turcotte-Danault-Arvidsson
Fiala-Byfield-Vilardi
JAD-Lizotte-Laferriere
Grundstrom

Plenty of opportunity there for guys to move around, as well. IE Turcotte/Fagemo/Lafferiere/camp surprise could all be interchangeable.

Defense
Priority 1-2-3 are sign Gavrikov.
Trade Durzi for a pick.
Trade Bjornfot for a pick or equivalent-ish LHD prospect
Get Clarke some games.
Sign a UFA D like Miikola or Soucy, or make a trade for a Brendon Dillon
Fewer minutes for Drew

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Roy
Miikola-Spence
Moverare or Walker, rotate Clarke in as injuries/time permits, let's be honest, he's AHL bound whether we like it or not. If he just absolutely kills it at camp (again)...trade Roy and put him next to Gavrikov. Yeah I said it.

Goaltending
What a mess, I could see them rolling Copley/Petersen frankly. Korpi would not be expensive to re-sign
Find a way to trade for either a blue-chip prospect or one of the suddenly-available 'sure things' like Hellebuyck or Saros.

I'm sure that's slightly over cap, but meh. Too lazy to go into THAT depth :P But one thing is for sure--there SHOULD be lots of turnover this year due to waivers, contract slots, and cap. I don't think there's ONE way to do it. But moving value players like Kaliyev and Roy if other guys can take their spots would make guys like even Moore (and Petersen?) more palatable. *and to be clear I think Roy is fantastic and shouldn't go anywhere but this is what happens when you've painted yourself into a corner.

Edit: I don't see it happening but my pipe dreams would be to trade for size that can play and net crash--like Crouse or Bertuzzi or even Anders Lee, trading for Saros, and trading for an impact LHD so we can roll anderson doughty gavrikov roy impact lhd clarke

Last edited:

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
This is going to sound crazy... But trade Kopitar and Doughty for picks if possible? Re-sign Korpisalo, Gavrikov, Vilardi, and move everyone up?
It may be time for Kempe, Fiala, Danault, Iafallo and those other players in that 26+ age range to take over.
The Kings need cap space to re-sgn younger players and DD and Kopi being gone would give them that space. But are they tradeable?

Edit: Also jettison this entire coaching staff into the sun and bring in someone that will let this team use it's offensive skill.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
Never too early for dramatic takes and judgement of
Uhmmm... i see him as one of the few highlights.
With the insane limited minutes he got he did awesome stuff.
He has great speed, game vision and poise, which lead to a couple of times running over the Oilers.
If any, he needs top minutes with other fast players like Fiala or Kempe.

Again, he is a playmaking center and should used as such.
So let’s say that is case. Where do you do deploy him? Kopi and PD have 1,2 locked up.next year and I don’t see Kopi retiring after that.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
The captain should always go down with the ship. In this case I am not taking about Kopitar, I am taking about the team President.

Luc goes for not giving the team identity.

Blake goes for being responsible for this incredibly vanilla team.

Yanetti goes for a horrible draft record.

Todd goes for putting out the 4th line against McDavids line, playing the Elder, er Edler, and just continuously making incredibly poor personnel decisions.

Schwack Em Players -
Durzi, way too many boneheaded plays and giveaways for a player who is going to only demand higher and higher salary.

Grundy, didn’t finish a check, no goals, one of too many vanilla players. If you are going to play 4th line minutes, be knicknamed Tonka and not blow anyone up……get outta here!

Lizotte, too many penalties for a smurf. I love his heart, speed but the smaller stature may work for goal scorers like DeBrincat but not so much in the bottom 6.

Elder Edler, Via Con Dios, bruh

Walker, while he played better in the end, the list of RD’s waiting to play on ELC’s makes him expendable.
nice post sol!

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Do what you can to trade Petersen. Aside from Clarke add any sweetener needed.

Trade Durzi and Walker. I can’t see them moving AI or Moore.

Sort out the logjam of fringe and build the best 4th line you can.
I’m guessing this team will operate on a tight budget.

I can see them letting Gav walk based on salary. They will probably look for a cheaper UFA option like Mikkola.

Goalie. - I don’t know honestly. Can Copley hold it down until a more palatable buyout for Petersen?

I think it will be one more year of the same. They likely will compete for a wildcard.

One more year of Kopi. Does he keep playing? Take a pay cut?

I hope Clarke is phenomenal. At least he would be fun to watch.

Byfield and Turcotte need to have big summers and show that they belong.

That’s all I got.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
so here we are smack in the middle of mediocrity hell with few draft picks, little cap space and a first round exit. now, we are facing a rebuild without the tools to do it. as a total rebuild should have been done upon the exit of lombardi and everybody else blake felt would threaten the surf club.
the only positive measure i can think of is to totally clean house in the front office and todd and his assts. then hire actual hockey executives and coaches with experience of relating to college kids and winning. and of course do the total roster rebuild that was never carried out correctly in the first place.
Blakes stated goals of winning a cup with kopitar and doughty never was realistic. his goal was, and is win just enough to keep butts in seats and keep cashing those sweet paychecks, keeping uncle phil off his boys asses.
presently our front office consists of a multply concussed zillionare, a high school dropout imbicile and a proven incompetent consultant. along with other surfers and retirement seekers. dont believe me about bergevin? as the montreal guys about his tenure as gm there.
so a dark view. but i think we can get right but only after the painful changes are made.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I'm reading some of this.....we are in need of a total rebuild? WTF....

Guys over 30+

Kopitar, Doughty, Edler ( who is gone), Danault, Arvidsson, Copley

That's it....3rd place finish, lose to a top team (albeit, a 2 person team, but wow what a 2 person that is)

That doesn't scream total rebuild, tear down.....

Again, never too early for hot takes

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I'm reading some of this.....we are in need of a total rebuild? WTF....

Guys over 30+

Kopitar, Doughty, Edler ( who is gone), Danault, Arvidsson, Copley

That's it....3rd place finish, lose to a top team (albeit, a 2 person team, but wow what a 2 person that is)

That doesn't scream total rebuild, tear down.....

Again, never too early for hot takes
No one is expecting a complete teardown you are exaggerating. The consensus is major-ish changes will be needed so they arent first round fodder for the next 5 years.

Reactions: ibleedkings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad