Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Arvy, Iafallo, Grundstrom, Durzi and Walker represent about 14M in AAV next season and all five can be easily replaced with younger cost-controlled options.
Mikey and Moore's extensions will kick in.
Will need space to sign Vilardi and Kupari and even JAD if he is staying.
Plus the extensions for Gavrikov and Korpisalo which are presumed since the cost to acquire them was heavy.
Blake has had a tendency to hoard contracts thus far so its concerning that this critical mass is building. Having at minimum five guys under contract who absolutely need to go in order to keep the quality assets instead isnt impressing me. I like the last two big trades (Fiala and Gav/Korpi) but the mistake he has made, there is not working in an asset that needs to go. He will end up having to waive or give some people away; dust off a spot for Future Considerations to make an appearance.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I don't think we have anyone in the system to replace RV, out of all of them I think he's the most likely to play out his contract. If we had a younger guy who could score in the mid-20's in goals and 50 points, they would be up already.

Lots of work is going to have to be done on the roster to fit the cap.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Who is RV? Arvidsson?

The Kings have been grooming Fagemo for that spot - so much so they put him there in training camp.

Fagemo can replace VA.
Moore replaces Iafallo.
JAD can replace Grundstrom.

They also need to move 1-2 forwards in the top 6 so they can move Kayilev up otherwise they might as well move him rather than keep him on the 4th line for years.

????-Kopitar-Kempe
Fagemo-Danault-Moore
????-Byfield-Kayilev
JAD-Lizotte-MacEwen

OR the Kings keep Byfield at the 1LW and don't trade AI.

Byfield-Kopitar-Kempe
Fagemo-Danault-Moore
Iafallo-?????-Kayilev
JAD-Lizotte-MacEwen

If I am Blake I look at Bertuzzi for the 1LW and Domi for the 3C.

• Haha
Reactions: ibleedkings

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Who is RV? Arvidsson?

The Kings have been grooming Fagemo for that spot - so much so they put him there in training camp.

Fagemo can replace VA.
Moore replaces Iafallo.

They also need to move 1-2 forwards in the top 6 so they can move Kayilev up otherwise they might as well move him rather than keep him on the 4th line for years.

????-Kopitar-Kempe
Fagemo-Danault-Moore
????-Byfield-Kayilev
JAD-Lizotte-MacEwen

Byfield-Kopitar-Kempe
Fagemo-Danault-Moore
Iafallo-?????-Kayilev
JAD-Lizotte-MacEwen

Fiala?

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
If microstats like these were fully tracked and publicly available, they would be brought up more. But the NHL doesnt provide for that. All Three Zones’ data is behind a paywall, and even then the amount of games tracked is a small sample bc it’s literally one guy doing all the work.

Baseball has a much more robust analytics conversation bc there is a greater depth of publicly avail info. We even get spin rates in baseball. In fact we have every minute detail on every single ball thrown and hit.

We cant even get shot speed data anywhere, even though it is clearly being tracked. This league has many shortcomings and this is just one of them.
Thankfully not. People still can’t use +/-

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Who is RV? Arvidsson?

Fagemo can replace VA.
Moore replaces Iafallo.

????-Kopitar-Kempe
Fagemo-Danault-Moore
????-Byfield-Kayilev
JAD-Lizotte-MacEwen

Byfield-Kopitar-Kempe
Fagemo-Danault-Moore
Iafallo-?????-Kayilev
JAD-Lizotte-MacEwen

Chromiak to me is the the guy who can replace VA. If he keep take bad penalties in the ozone everyother game, it going to be an easy choice. So where does Valardi and Fiala fit in ? Then there's Turcotte. He'll most likely be up next year. Valardi-Byfield-Turcotte [ or Kayilev ] 3rd line would be pretty good.

Reactions: chris kontos

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Thinking good NHL players "can easily be replaced" is among the biggest misconceptions among fans on this website in my opinion.

I remember when Cammalleri could easily be replaced by O'Sullivan, who shortly after could easily be replaced by Möller. You go from having a legit top 6 talent to someone not good enough to have an impact real quick if you aren't careful.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Thinking good NHL players "can easily be replaced" is among the biggest misconceptions among fans on this website in my opinion.

I remember when Cammalleri could easily be replaced by O'Sullivan, who shortly after could easily be replaced by Möller. You go from having a legit top 6 talent to someone not good enough to have an impact real quick if you aren't careful.

Lots of people wanted Stoll gone and thought he’d be easily replaced by Amadio or Shore, and 8 seasons later the closet replacement is a college ufa. I’m still waiting for the Fraser replacement.

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
????-Kopitar-Kempe
Fagemo-Danault-Moore
????-Byfield-Kayilev
JAD-Lizotte-MacEwen

Byfield-Kopitar-Kempe
Fagemo-Danault-Moore
Iafallo-?????-Kayilev
JAD-Lizotte-MacEwen

No Fiala - Kupari - Vilardi?

Kings biggest need is still a big (preferable also mean), reliable, defensive LD, who can in future play with Spence/Clarke. And Kings need to trade or sign that kind of player, because LD's whose they drafted between 2017-2021 are a bunch of average/below average size softies.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
OFFENSE

Kaliyev - Kopitar - Kempe - 2 defensively solid guys make up for Arty's game. Arty can play heavy
Vilardi - Byfield - Fiala - all offence line, Fiala drives line, Byfield's forecheck and backcheck getting better
Arvidsson - Danault - Moore - Our stopper line with skill
HIgh temp, energy players, defensively responsible - hopefully a few with size

I think Byfield takes another step this year and another massive one next year. He has always been a slower starter that gets up to league speed then starts to dominate. Even if he ends up being a 65 to 75 point, big body defensive center that's still a rear item. Especially if he lines up with a 90 point Fiala and a 30 to 35 goal guy in Vilardi. Thats one hell of a second line.

Trade away - Iafalo - $4 mil savings
If a kid like Fagemo steps up trade RV and recoup another $4 mil

DEFENSE

Arderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Roy
Soucy/ Mikkola/ Lauzon - Durzi/Spence/Clarke

- if Clarke or Spense shows he belongs, Durzi is expendable.
- If Clarke needs time in the AHL so be it, if Spence is good Durzi is expendable
- just trying to get the cheapest most ready contract in that position so we can spend to re-sign Gavrikov and take a run at another big body Left shot guy.
- If Spence or Clarke are ready a trade around Durzi for Lauzon +, only need a tough defensive guy that can play 13 to 15 mins a game.

GOALIES

Korpo
Copley

- if this year plays out well in goal, take a gamble. Korpo should be on the cheaper side. If we need to go out and spend to get a goalie then I guess Bjornfot stays and we ditch the idea of adding 2 left shot big guys and maybe just concentrate on Gavrikov. It sounds like term is the issue. With his size and style of game I give Gavrikov the term. He will be 28 next year in the first year of the contract. That means he will be playing out the last year of his 7 year contract at 34 or 8 year at 35. That's younger then Edler is.

- I am just passionate about fixing the left side and our size issues because like DL said. Building from the backend wins championships.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I love Lizotte, but it might make sense to move him to open up development space at center next year.

It would hurt the team in the short term, but would pay dividends long term IMO.

Reactions: Rick Knickleback

Rick Knickleback

May 18, 2022
Long Beach
I love Lizotte, but it might make sense to move him to open up development space at center next year.

It would hurt the team in the short term, but would pay dividends long term IMO.
I love Lizotte too, but I feel his value is felt more over a longer, regular-season period, where his occasional clutch goal or momentum building shifts stand out amidst a large body of work. In a best-of-7 series against a quality team playing more physical than the mean-median-mode regular season game, he's more of a liability. He got hammered by EDM last year if I recall. I feel like Kupari is better suited to that role, even if, as you say, it might mean some short term pain. Next year, makes sense to roll:
Kopitar
Byfield
Danault
Kupari

as the centers. As a concept anyway.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
1678286904353.png

I think the Kings missed out on this one. And I think the Maple Leafs will regret trading him.

I know people will say he's a small PMD, and we don't need that type, but he's already this good, this young. He's going to be an excellent dman for a decade.

Imagine getting him, Gavrikov and Korpisalo at the deadline for the price we we're going to pay for Chychrun alone. Then re-signing Gav in the offseason. We'd be set.

Anderson-Doughty
Sandin-Roy
Gavrikov-Clarke

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
In a best-of-7 series against a quality team playing more physical than the mean-median-mode regular season game, he's more of a liability. He got hammered by EDM last year if I recall.
I don't know if I agree. I'm not trying to be adversarial, but I think that's just one of those cliches people say about smaller players in regards to playoff hockey that isn't necessarily true.

Kopitar got owned in that series. Danault was good. Lizotte held his own.

He's a more than adequate, even excellent, 4th line center.

I think another option, is to try Lizotte on wing. Thus opening another center slot for development. While still having Lizotte's attributes in the lineup.

But Tmac will never do it.

Reactions: dman3474

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I don't know if I agree. I'm not trying to be adversarial, but I think that's just one of those cliches people say about smaller players in regards to playoff hockey that isn't necessarily true.

Kopitar got owned in that series. Danault was good. Lizotte held his own.

He's a more than adequate, even excellent, 4th line center.

I think another option, is to try Lizotte on wing. Thus opening another center slot for development. While still having Lizotte's attributes in the lineup.

But Tmac will never do it.
Lizotte wasnt good in the playoffs last year but it could have been because he had to center AA and Brown. Not one center all year looked good playing between those two. They are gonna need a good showing from him this year in the playoffs.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
OFFENSE

Kaliyev - Kopitar - Kempe - 2 defensively solid guys make up for Arty's game. Arty can play heavy
Vilardi - Byfield - Fiala - all offence line, Fiala drives line, Byfield's forecheck and backcheck getting better
Arvidsson - Danault - Moore - Our stopper line with skill
HIgh temp, energy players, defensively responsible - hopefully a few with size

I think Byfield takes another step this year and another massive one next year. He has always been a slower starter that gets up to league speed then starts to dominate. Even if he ends up being a 65 to 75 point, big body defensive center that's still a rear item. Especially if he lines up with a 90 point Fiala and a 30 to 35 goal guy in Vilardi. Thats one hell of a second line.

Trade away - Iafalo - $4 mil savings
If a kid like Fagemo steps up trade RV and recoup another $4 mil

DEFENSE

Arderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Roy
Soucy/ Mikkola/ Lauzon - Durzi/Spence/Clarke

- if Clarke or Spense shows he belongs, Durzi is expendable.
- If Clarke needs time in the AHL so be it, if Spence is good Durzi is expendable
- just trying to get the cheapest most ready contract in that position so we can spend to re-sign Gavrikov and take a run at another big body Left shot guy.
- If Spence or Clarke are ready a trade around Durzi for Lauzon +, only need a tough defensive guy that can play 13 to 15 mins a game.

GOALIES

Korpo
Copley

- if this year plays out well in goal, take a gamble. Korpo should be on the cheaper side. If we need to go out and spend to get a goalie then I guess Bjornfot stays and we ditch the idea of adding 2 left shot big guys and maybe just concentrate on Gavrikov. It sounds like term is the issue. With his size and style of game I give Gavrikov the term. He will be 28 next year in the first year of the contract. That means he will be playing out the last year of his 7 year contract at 34 or 8 year at 35. That's younger then Edler is.

- I am just passionate about fixing the left side and our size issues because like DL said. Building from the backend wins championships.
Well done -- totally agree. I have nothing else really to say. Just quoting for emphasis.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
Who is RV? Arvidsson?

Fagemo can replace VA.
Moore replaces Iafallo.

????-Kopitar-Kempe
Fagemo-Danault-Moore
????-Byfield-Kayilev
JAD-Lizotte-MacEwen

Byfield-Kopitar-Kempe
Fagemo-Danault-Moore
Iafallo-?????-Kayilev
JAD-Lizotte-MacEwen

You forgot both Fiala and Vilardi 😝

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley

The difference is that the guys on the lower lines will most likely replace Arvi. The lower line players are more easily replaced.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Lizotte wasnt good in the playoffs last year but it could have been because he had to center AA and Brown. Not one center all year looked good playing between those two. They are gonna need a good showing from him this year in the playoffs.
Lizotte wasn’t good in the playoffs last year, because he is not good.
He is not going to be good in this year playoffs as well.

Reactions: chris kontos

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Lizotte wasn’t good in the playoffs last year, because he is not good.
He is not going to be good in this year playoffs as well.
On average, the Kings were getting significantly more shot attempts for, verse against, when Lizotte was on the ice in the playoffs.

Lizotte 55.5%
Kupari 52.6%
Kopitar 45.6%
Danault 41.2%

This is obviously because of matchups and zone starts, but you can see Lizotte was winning his matchups in the playoffs. He was a more than capable bottom line center in that series.

Reactions: Fishhead

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
View attachment 665312

I think the Kings missed out on this one. And I think the Maple Leafs will regret trading him.

I know people will say he's a small PMD, and we don't need that type, but he's already this good, this young. He's going to be an excellent dman for a decade.

Imagine getting him, Gavrikov and Korpisalo at the deadline for the price we we're going to pay for Chychrun alone. Then re-signing Gav in the offseason. We'd be set.

Anderson-Doughty
Sandin-Roy
Gavrikov-Clarke

The thing is, he's just a sidegrade on Bjornfot, more offense less defense.

In a vacuum I would have really liked him but on a squad with so many 6'0" d-men we can't have another smallish, defensive deficient one with bad foot speed.

He got ripped apart the other night any time he had to defend. We already have that guy in Durzi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad