Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan

"WE nEeD KalIYeV 2 b a Top siCKs ferwErd"

This is really disappointing to see. Kaliyev was significantly better last season than Vilardi was, and now he loses his spot based on a couple of pre-season games.

The onus should have been on Vilardi to prove himself in games that mattered, if he did that and outplayed someone, great he earned that spot.

I just think this organization is still stuck in the ways it has been for the past 15 years, they just don't really value the skillset of a guy like Kaliyev as much as other teams would.

Just baffling to see a team that struggled to score goals to demote the player with the best shot on the team to a 4th line role.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I’ve had a hunch that Clarke will sit for the first game, to have the opportunity to ‘soak up,the experience’. To be clear I think that’s a terrible idea, but it really wouldn’t shock me. They need to just let him off the leash and go!

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I think we are finally seeing managements vision of what they want the team to look like. Only a few years ago there were so many holes that it was daunting, now there are only a couple things that need to be addressed. The team isn't old, either.

We are also finally seeing which young guys will be kept and which will likely be moving on. Right now, Kaliyev, Clarke, Byfield, and Vilardi seem to be the big-4 of the next wave, with Kupari right there. It's going to be really difficult for guys like Thomas, Fagemo, etc. to ever break in. But that's what waivers are for, right?

The team can afford to overpay for the right pieces, I think, so when the opportunity arises I hope they jump at it.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
This is really disappointing to see. Kaliyev was significantly better last season than Vilardi was, and now he loses his spot based on a couple of pre-season games.

The onus should have been on Vilardi to prove himself in games that mattered, if he did that and outplayed someone, great he earned that spot.

I just think this organization is still stuck in the ways it has been for the past 15 years, they just don't really value the skillset of a guy like Kaliyev as much as other teams would.

Just baffling to see a team that struggled to score goals to demote the player with the best shot on the team to a 4th line role.
I'm fairly certain that if it was Vilardi on the 4th line, you'd be dishing out reasons why that was disappointing as well. You literally can find no enjoyment or satisfaction with this team.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009

I feel if we have better PP time for the youth, the lines will not matter so much. TM might also have Vilardi on such a short leash that the first few games without a goal will have Vilardi on the 4th line.

If we could have Kaliyev on the first unit power play (move Kopitar off that half wall please?) he could easily be a 25 goal scorer this year.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

Probably a chemistry thing. And really, Arty will probably score no matter who he's with. Being on the 4th line in itself doesn't bother me, it's more the ice time. If they get him out on the PP and get him some extra shifts when they really need a goal I'm fine with it until some spots open up.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

I just think this organization is still stuck in the ways it has been for the past 15 years, they just don't really value the skillset of a guy like Kaliyev as much as other teams do.
Or maybe they felt Vilardi will only succeed in that spot? I’m playing devils advocate to some degree but AK is probably better suited to that line than Vilardi. It really depends how they deploy things 5/5 (even out the ice time ) and the pp. I don’t really like it but how else do we fit the pieces in positions they will suceed in? Either VilardI shows he fits there in a couple of games or he will sit and AK moves up.

I don’t think the 5/5 deployment of lines 3 and 4 will be massively different (and I hope 1 + 2 don’t play 70% of the 5/5 minutes). I’m very interested on how the manage the PP time though as AK, Vilardi and Byfield all need good minutes.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

I'm just happy he's in the lineup.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

Lombardi, Sutter, and co. haven’t been anywhere close to roster decisions for nearly five years now. Time to find another scapegoat. Unless you’re suggesting there’s some kind of prevailing Lombardi-esque philosophy Blake is still adhering to?

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

like i said a while back, if i couldn't laugh, i'd cry

same

ol

shit

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think people get too caught up in the line designations.

The "3rd" line, and the "4th" line will play a similar amount. In fact the "4th" line might actually play more in many games.

I also think people forget just how good the "4th" line was last year at times. There were plenty of games where they were the second best line.

Last edited:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
How the season starts doesn’t dictate how it will end. Moore and Arvidsson now have a lot of pressure to perform, and if they keep up their play like they did last season, then they honestly deserve the second line spot. I don’t think this is a demotion for Kaliyev as much as it is a reward to Vilardi for working his ass off this summer and forcing the issue in camp. These are good problems and to be honest the 12 best forwards in the organization are in the lineup.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I don't see what's the urgency for having Arvidsson in the opening day lineup. That's the problem that i have. Let him sit a couple more games and give him an extra week to get fully in game shape. Let's be real, VA is good, solid player; but he's not some huge game changer for this team.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Probably a chemistry thing. And really, Arty will probably score no matter who he's with. Being on the 4th line in itself doesn't bother me, it's more the ice time. If they get him out on the PP and get him some extra shifts when they really need a goal I'm fine with it until some spots open up.

Yeah I'm going ot reserve judgment. I don't care what 'line' they're on so long as Todd actually plays them. If it's the '3rd' line but getting 18 minutes? Perfect. BUT I reserve the right to absolutely shit my pants if Kopitar plays 22+ minutes tomorrow night no matter what, or if there's selective accountability again this year...aaaand not having Byfield on either PP is f***ing stupid but you can't win them all I guess.

Reactions: cyclones22

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Do not like seeing Kaliyev stuck on the 4th line again. The org has lots of up and coming wings that need spots (Vilardi, Kaliyev, Kupari, Fagemo, etc) - and team added a top 6 wing in Fiala and signed Lemieux . The asset management is puzzling to me. I would look to move Iafallo this season - to 1, enable cap space to sign a LD, 2. to open up spot for the wings to develop in their proper roles.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
How the season starts doesn’t dictate how it will end. Moore and Arvidsson now have a lot of pressure to perform, and if they keep up their play like they did last season, then they honestly deserve the second line spot. I don’t think this is a demotion for Kaliyev as much as it is a reward to Vilardi for working his ass off this summer and forcing the issue in camp. These are good problems and to be honest the 12 best forwards in the organization are in the lineup.
Amazing that this fact is not enough for some around here. Gotta find something to complain about.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I don't see what's the urgency for having Arvidsson in the opening day lineup. That's the problem that i have. Let him sit a couple more games and give him an extra week to get fully in game shape. Let's be real, VA is good, solid player; but he's not some huge game changer for this team.

I mean he was a top 30 goal-scoring RW last season despite missing 16 games, and over a full season would have been top 16. He doesn’t get enough credit around here.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Agree with you on the urgency part, but disagree on the game changer part. I think it’s more about keeping that 2nd line intact, it was by and far our best line last season. That 2nd line was a game changer.

Yeah “same ol shit” you’re complaining about even before the games are played. Carry on DQs!
Right?! Utterly embarrassing…if I couldn’t laugh, I’d cry.

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago

Don't forget, Kaliyev was tied for team PPG leader despite minimal PP time and most of it for 30 seconds after PP1 futility.
I said at the beginning of last season the team should let AK34 play all 2 min of PP ala Ovie in the same alignment and GBH tried to humiliate me for that take. First, 34 ties for PP lead w/ occasional PP2 time. Second, are you going to tell me PP would have been worse last year if that was tried...not possible. Third, most teams would be salivating to have 34 on their PP1.

(cue Axl... on 1, 2, 3... GO!)

Reactions: ibleedkings

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
If the cap increases in the off-season you could very likely see Iaffalo traded and Moore leave via free agency.

Problem is Iaffalo seems to be the only spot that is deemed expendable but teams are tight taking in new cap with cap going back the other way. So if everybody is healthy it’s basically between Vilardi and Kaliyev. And we have yet to find a player Vilardi has a lot of chemistry with that isn’t Lias Andersson.

My only complaints are Kaliyev needs to be on PP1 and Byfield needs to be on PP2. But I guess they’ll have Kempe and Fiala as trigger men, hopefully Vilardi stays as net front presence.

Fiala-Kopitar-Kempe
Vilardi -Doughty (since no way they move him off PP1)

Kaliyev-Danault(for faceoffs)-Byfield
Clarke-Durzi

But that also means no Arvidsson, so now I’m lost.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Yeah I'm going ot reserve judgment. I don't care what 'line' they're on so long as Todd actually plays them. If it's the '3rd' line but getting 18 minutes? Perfect. BUT I reserve the right to absolutely shit my pants if Kopitar plays 22+ minutes tomorrow night no matter what, or if there's selective accountability again this year...aaaand not having Byfield on either PP is f***ing stupid but you can't win them all I guess.
Might I suggest:

prevail-air-plus-diapers-1.jpg

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
If the cap increases in the off-season you could very likely see Iaffalo traded and Moore leave via free agency.

Problem is Iaffalo seems to be the only spot that is deemed expendable but teams are tight taking in new cap with cap going back the other way. So if everybody is healthy it’s basically between Vilardi and Kaliyev. And we have yet to find a player Vilardi has a lot of chemistry with that isn’t Lias Andersson.

My only complaints are Kaliyev needs to be on PP1 and Byfield needs to be on PP2. But I guess they’ll have Kempe and Fiala as trigger men, hopefully Vilardi stays as net front presence.

Fiala-Kopitar-Kempe
Vilardi -Doughty (since no way they move him off PP1)

Kaliyev-Danault(for faceoffs)-Byfield
Clarke-Durzi

But that also means no Arvidsson, so now I’m lost.
We have too many good players…what kind of alternate universe are we living in?

Reactions: Choralone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad