Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
It’d be a gigantic mistake to blow yet another 1st round pick to get out from under Cal’s deal, with so many mid-level salary wingers on this roster that are redundant.

Bury Cal in the minors at the beginning of the year, and possibly address a buyout at the end of next season.

If it really comes down to it, one of RV/Iafallo/Moore can be moved to clear up some space, and they would actually garner a return. Plenty of kids who need the ice time and are cheap.

Last edited:

aceofpace

Mar 19, 2016
If it really comes down to it, one of RV/Iafallo/Moore can be moved to clear up some space, and they would actually garner a return. Plenty of kids who need the ice time and are cheap.
If that's what it takes to sign Gavrikov and Korpi, I'm for moving out not only RV, Iafallo, Moore, Walker and Durzi but also Roy and Lizotte. I'm not saying they should all be shipped out but they are all expendable in that we have the pipeline (Spence, Clarke, AK, JAD, Fagemo, etc.) to replace them. But we don't have anyone to replace Gabrikok and Korpi.

As for Gabrikok, I'm willing to give him a 7-year deal, which will take him to his 34-year-old season. Edler, you may remember, was effective as recently as last season when he was 35.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Getting rid of Iafallo or Moore's contract without taking anything back won't necessarily be easy. Not many teams willing to take on 4M for a middling forward.

Just like nobody wants to take on 2.65M for a Troy Stretcher equivalent in Sean Walker.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
And I like how people are so excited about our new toy Gavrikov that they're willing to give a middling defenseman a retirement deal.

He's clearly playing for a contract. Once he gets it his play could drop off and were stuck with it for the better part of a decade.

Jungle Boy

Feb 12, 2003
Recife, Brazil
And I like how people are so excited about our new toy Gavrikov that they're willing to give a middling defenseman a retirement deal.

He's clearly playing for a contract. Once he gets it his play could drop off and were stuck with it for the better part of a decade.
The guy is 27!

• Love
Reactions: Byfield

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

At age 27, the Kings should be offering four years max to Gavrikov.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
At age 27, the Kings should be offering four years max to Gavrikov.
In a perfect world he signs for 4 but someone will offer more.
Blake seems like hes giving an extra year on a lot of these contracts in order to keep the cap a little lower also.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017

they did it with danault. dont see people complaining about that deal

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
They offered Scuderi 4 years going into his age 31 season, their is likely to be a 6 year deal out their for Gavrikov, Soucy and Graves, all 27-28.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022

Which is true of all UFAs, should we just not engage in that market?
A different club happened to have the D we needed, he is available finally now that he is UFA. His club is doing a rebuild and clearly he doesnt want to be there.
Trading for Fiala and signing him was not a mistake. Signing Danault was not a mistake. Thus far trading for Korpi and Gav looks like it was not a mistake. I feel they will be re-signed at acceptable AAV/term and contribute significantly to the golden years to come, if they want to be here, and why wouldnt you?
It is time to give Blake a little credit for his poaching skills they are pretty good so far.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Danault's in the second year of his contract. We don't know if that was a good deal yet. (Although I suspect it will be)

It's possible you could sign Gavrikov to a 7 year deal and it work out great, but it's very risky. Would be kind of insane. He seems like a guy who's trying to cash out.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Danault's in the second year of his contract. We don't know if that was a good deal yet. (Although I suspect it will be)

It's possible you could sign Gavrikov to a 7 year deal and it work out great, but it's very risky. Would be kind of insane. He seems like a guy who's trying to cash out.
Any long contract is risky but depending on the aav it might be an easy one to swallow if his play drops off the last couple of years with a much higher cap.

The whole ’only playing well in a contract year’ thing is largely a myth. Many contracts end ages 26-28 which are often going to be in the career year window. Whilst I’m sure there have been historical examples where that’s the case it’s very much in the minority. We had that narrative being used with Kempe earlier in the season but as usual with the contract year BS it’s clearly not true.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Which is true of all UFAs, should we just not engage in that market?
A different club happened to have the D we needed, he is available finally now that he is UFA. His club is doing a rebuild and clearly he doesnt want to be there.
Trading for Fiala and signing him was not a mistake. Signing Danault was not a mistake. Thus far trading for Korpi and Gav looks like it was not a mistake. I feel they will be re-signed at acceptable AAV/term and contribute significantly to the golden years to come, if they want to be here, and why wouldnt you?
It is time to give Blake a little credit for his poaching skills they are pretty good so far.
Wait, I thought the Kings were doing a rebuild, or no they are Stanley Cup contenders ever since BLuc took over.

It's very confusing. Could it be they half-assed the whole strategy?

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
There’s a lot of sunk cost fallacy wrapped up in the Gavrikov/Korpisalo deal now. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Gavrikov extended for 7 years. Blake has never been afraid to hand out term like candy.

• Wow
Reactions: funky and Surf Nutz

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
There’s a lot of sunk cost fallacy wrapped up in the Gavrikov/Korpisalo deal now. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Gavrikov extended for 7 years. Blake has never been afraid to hand out term like candy.

Will disagree with you here, I do think one of the few things Blake is really, really good at is NOT subscribing to sunk cost fallacy.

But I do see your sentiment and this does have a lot more investment/risk involved.

• Love
Reactions: Surf Nutz

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Wait, I thought the Kings were doing a rebuild, or no they are Stanley Cup contenders ever since BLuc took over.

It's very confusing. Could it be they half-assed the whole strategy?
As a spiritual giant, its been revealed to me after a long retreat and countless hours of prayer, that yes in fact a high school dropout and an incredibly wealthy savant that has survived countless concussions are perfect choices to run a multi million dollar lemonade stand

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Just because another GM is stupid, doesn't mean Blake has to be equitably dumb.
Unfortunately being dumb is necessary in today's NHL, it's not a reach to say you can't win without being dumb, either. If the Kings don't offer a LD 6+ years, they aren't going to get one and need to go with what they have. It's impossible to draft an entirely good roster as we've seen with teams with many years of top 5 picks. With the cap, you have to do stupid things occasionally to make your team better.

Look at the MacKinnon deal. Is he close to worth $5M more a year than Fiala? He's a dominant player, but hell no he isn't. Fiala and Kempe combined will make less than a million more than MacK alone. It's just what the league has devolved into. Colorado could easily be one and done, they have 6 UFA, 3 RFA (Including Newhook and Byram), and $13M in cap to fill out those spots. Look what just missing Landy has done to them lately, when they had injury problems they weren't even a playoff team, and that's last year's cup winner.

There really is a need for some kind of contract control to give teams a bit more flexibility. It doesn't need to be crazy, but something like buyout options that don't have penalties. Maybe give a team 1 player every two years whom they can buy out his contract without anything counting against the cap. Just put limits on it like you can't do it until the player has fulfilled at least 2 years. If a team wants to exploit that, fine, but they lose the opportunity if something like a Petersen or Skinner happens. Would love to see the loss of guaranteed contracts in the next CBA, but I have doubts that will ever happen. Something like this would be middle ground and keep players honest with their efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad