Kings Article: LA Kings Need Supporting Cast to Pull Their Share of the Weight

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
The Los Angeles Kings have legitimate stars leading the way for them. But without contributions from the rest of the lineup, most notably, the forwards who aren't named Anze Kopitar, Dustin Brown, Jeff Carter or Ilya Kovachuk, along with defensemen who aren't named Drew Doughty, the Kings could be led by Wayne Gretzky and they probably still wouldn't be a Stanley Cup contender.

Indeed, he hasn't even been with the Kings for a week and already, interim head coach Willie Desjardins has noted that his supporting cast isn't pulling their weight, and that includes players like Adrian Kempe and Tanner Pearson, among others.

For more...

LA Kings Need Supporting Cast to Pull Their Share of the Weight

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Been saying the next wave needs to step up for years.

Kopitar, Doughty need to do more this season, but this has been a long problem.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Your $10 million center has played 15 games without a single primary assist and just two secondary assists and you want more from the supporting cast?

How is he going to get assists if no one else can score either?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
That's what poor drafting does. But you never hear anyone critique the scouts for whichever reason.

The fact that Kovalchuk has by FAR been the best king says a lot about how DD and Kopitar have been playing. Younger and getting paid a lot more to be outdone by Kovalchuk at his age. No slight on Kovy he's been a blessing, but by far be the best king? That's a problem.

Last edited:

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I feel like LA is good at selecting guys who excel in juniors and fade away once they hit the NHL/AHL

Vey, Shore(NCAA), Dowd(NCAA),
Weal, Kozun, Acevedo, likely Amadio.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I feel like LA is good at selecting guys who excel in juniors and fade away once they hit the NHL/AHL

Vey, Shore(NCAA), Dowd(NCAA),
Weal, Kozun, Acevedo, likely Amadio.

You can say that about every club, Kozun and Acevedo were both boom picks, they could have boomed, but they were late round fliers....

Reactions: BringTheReign

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
You can say that about every club, Kozun and Acevedo were both boom picks, they could have boomed, but they were late round fliers....
Yeah, Kozun and Acevedo were also smaller players. Weal too I guess.

Just shows you how hard it is to be successful in the NHL. Or to draft for that matter. I like Amadio but I don’t think he has a future in LA.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Yeah, Kozun and Acevedo were also smaller players. Weal too I guess.

Just shows you how hard it is to be successful in the NHL. Or to draft for that matter. I like Amadio but I don’t think he has a future in LA.

He;s gonna be a bottom sixer somewhere I think.....could be here, could not be, he's one of those guys where ya love him if he's playing for you, don't care if he's not lol

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The 25 yo and under forward group has not produced, but the same goes for the vets in general. So I think the article is off base to focus on Pearson and Kempe.

Using the eye test, the Kings problems start in their own zone and point to a regression on D as the reason for their struggles. Outside of Doughty and Muzzin, no other regular on D can be trusted to transition the puck out of the Kings zone. That points to roster composition, player deployment and drafting / development.

What more could go wrong with the following D lineup at this point, unless you aren’t bought into accelerating the upcoming franchise overhaul.

Doughty Muzzin
Martinez Brickley
Forbort Fantenberg / LaDue

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The Kings have a really good roster if everyone plays to their potential. Problem is that rarely happens. It happened to Vegas last year, and look at them this year. Contenders have rosters that are playoff capable even when guys are playing poorly.

The offensive woes are well documented, but I agree with DJ above that the defense is the glaring issue. This team is going nowhere with the current defense. Guys like Forbort, Brickley, LaDue, Fantenberg - they aren't part of a contending defense core right now. One of them, sure, but not all. The only hope for any success in the near term is to play Brickley to see what we have in him, and to give LaDue a legit shot. We know what we have in Forbort and Fantenberg.

The team f***ed up when they protected Forbort over McNabb. I see why they did it from a contractual point of view, but this team would be far better off with Doughty, Martinez, Muzzin, and McNabb. Then bringing in a guy like Phaneuf puts him in the proper role for this point in his career, similar to how Regehr was brought in.

The supporting cast simply isn't very good.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Thing is,the best they can hope for is mediocrity.

There are too many quality players to be this bad. There are too few prospects, too little cap space to sign the necessary free agents, and FAR too little tradable assets to augment the veteran core.

The Kings should be at the end of their cycle now, where vets had been traded away for young assets. That didn't happen. Virtually every player from either Cup team that has left the organization did so without a damn thing in return. Those that stayed have signed ridiculous retirement deals that virtually guarantee that they can't be moved.

They traded away too many picks and prospects and have done an extremely poor job developing the ones they have kept.

There is going to be a gap here that will get worse over the next two years when they can finally recoup the cap space that is being wasted on Kovalchuk and Phaneuf. Hopefully Blake will smarten up and deal Carter and Muzzin now to strengthen the asset list.

It's all about their irrational belief in a core group that have been together way too long, now not being held accountable by what has become a frat house of a front office. There is no clear, level headed view here. It's all de facto nepotism that will not improve until Robitaille and Blake are removed and someone from outside the organization is given the keys

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I’m growing tired of the Luc and Blake frat house narrative. It’s all speculation and conjecture.

The only evidence any one can point to are contracts for Kopi and Doughty and the ousting of Lombardi.

Most people recognize Doughty and Kopi as franchise cornerstones. They are not easily replaced. They got paid what they are worth. Period. Likely many teams would have done the same. Three main pieces just had career years. Kovy was signed to fit that group and has been worth his contract in his limited showing. No one expected this collapse at all. Not even Kings17.

Many on here were tired of DL and his direction at the end. Especially after the US team’s showing. Also wanting more youth and speed inserted into the lineup.

I honestly think Blake took over a tough situation. I’ve got no great love for him but I don’t think he wants LA to be a good old boys clubhouse. This is the year we see what he is really made of. As of now, he is against the wall. We will see what Blake and Luc really believe come the deadline.

Reactions: Choralone

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I’m growing tired of the Luc and Blake frat house narrative. It’s all speculation and conjecture.

The only evidence any one can point to are contracts for Kopi and Doughty and the ousting of Lombardi.

Most people recognize Doughty and Kopi as franchise cornerstones. They are not easily replaced. They got paid what they are worth. Period. Likely many teams would have done the same. Three main pieces just had career years. Kovy was signed to fit that group and has been worth his contract in his limited showing. No one expected this collapse at all. Not even Kings17.

Many on here were tired of DL and his direction at the end. Especially after the US team’s showing. Also wanting more youth and speed inserted into the lineup.

I honestly think Blake took over a tough situation. I’ve got no great love for him but I don’t think he wants LA to be a good old boys clubhouse. This is the year we see what he is really made of. As of now, he is against the wall. We will see what Blake and Luc really believe come the deadline.

It's easier for most to say that, they see O'Donnell on TV, Stoll on TV, they hear Emerson and Murray in player development and they just automatically assume without realizing the work that most of these guys put in after their career is over etc.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

No, I didn't expect this collapse, but it is better than what I did expect, which was a black hole team for years. The collapse might actually force Robitaille and Blake to do something because their BS "the Kings are contenders" narrative no longer even remotely fits reality.

Honestly, I don't care what Robitaille and Blake believe, I care about what they do in this situation. Blake was thrust into a tough situation, which was made even more difficult because his boss isn't as smart as he is and is just a mascot for the fans.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

I don't post here as often as I used to, but I can guarantee you that yes, this situation has been predicted since the Lucic deal, and that the Brown, Quick, Gaborik and Kopitar extensions were all met with the dire warnings.

And frankly I couldn't care less if anyone is tired of hearing it. It must be known because it is very much part and parcel of this problem. There is a fraternity of players - and you left out Storr, Johnson, Armstrong and now Purcell - that is firmly in control of this organization from top to bottom. That fraternity has no perspective.

The Kings players have far too much control here. No other team in the league has anything close to the amount of retained players the Kings have had on the roster since 2014. This same group has quit on three coaches without a single core player being dealt first. That is absolutely unthinkable in this day and age. It just doesn't happen.

Here is what you need to understand. It doesn't matter if Kopitar, Doughty, Brown and Quick have terrific years. It's not enough. There is no money or assets available to use to supplement them. They could have career years for each of the next three years and likely still not win a single playoff game. The window shut four years ago.

This franchise can hope for nothing more than bubble playoff spots until they start to make the difficult decision to trade veterans to and rebuild their asset list. They need cost controlled young impact players, and there are only three ways to get these players: stink into better draft positions, get lucky in the later portions of the round, or trade established stars.

This team has developed nothing better than a second liner in Toffoli over the past six years. Vilardi and JAD look very exciting, but it took missing the playoffs to get into those good spots. They didn't do that last year, and Kupari looks like a typical late first round gamble that doesn't have great odds of becoming an impact player.

The development system here frankly sucks now. It was a pride and joy ten years ago, but it's living on it's reputation now and should be completely overhauled.

Players are too forgiving. They will get too many benefits from too many doubts from this frat house. You know how I know? Because they keep saying how this is a roster capable of winning a Cup when in reality they aren't capable of winning two playoff games over a four year span.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I don't post here as often as I used to, but I can guarantee you that yes, this situation has been predicted since the Lucic deal, and that the Brown, Quick, Gaborik and Kopitar extensions were all met with the dire warnings.

And frankly I couldn't care less if anyone is tired of hearing it. It must be known because it is very much part and parcel of this problem. There is a fraternity of players - and you left out Storr, Johnson, Armstrong and now Purcell - that is firmly in control of this organization from top to bottom. That fraternity has no perspective.

The Kings players have far too much control here. No other team in the league has anything close to the amount of retained players the Kings have had on the roster since 2014. This same group has quit on three coaches without a single core player being dealt first. That is absolutely unthinkable in this day and age. It just doesn't happen.

Here is what you need to understand. It doesn't matter if Kopitar, Doughty, Brown and Quick have terrific years. It's not enough. There is no money or assets available to use to supplement them. They could have career years for each of the next three years and likely still not win a single playoff game. The window shut four years ago.

This franchise can hope for nothing more than bubble playoff spots until they start to make the difficult decision to trade veterans to and rebuild their asset list. They need cost controlled young impact players, and there are only three ways to get these players: stink into better draft positions, get lucky in the later portions of the round, or trade established stars.

This team has developed nothing better than a second liner in Toffoli over the past six years. Vilardi and JAD look very exciting, but it took missing the playoffs to get into those good spots. They didn't do that last year, and Kupari looks like a typical late first round gamble that doesn't have great odds of becoming an impact player.

The development system here frankly sucks now. It was a pride and joy ten years ago, but it's living on it's reputation now and should be completely overhauled.

Players are too forgiving. They will get too many benefits from too many doubts from this frat house. You know how I know? Because they keep saying how this is a roster capable of winning a Cup when in reality they aren't capable of winning two playoff games over a four year span.

This is all spot on.

The player retention thing is so amazing to me, here is a team that is about to go five straight years without contending and the roster has been turned over less than any other NHL team in that same timeframe. I mean just let that sink in. And it's shared by both management teams, Dean started this mess but Blake has done nothing over two offseasons to address it

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Everyone knows the rebuild is coming.

I was in the camp that was willing to give this core one more go, it's not like a year or two is going to make much of a difference if the team is burned to the ground. Put young guys in the lineup like Amadio and Kempe and see what we have in Vilardi. If things look promising give it a serious go in 2019 or 2020. Fast forward now and Pearson is falling apart and Kempe is struggling mightily. Vilardi has given no indication he can stay healthy, let alone produce. Barring an impressive turn around, I don't see how the current roster can be retooled effectively. I've always maintained this season was going to be the telling one, and it's sure telling us a lot.

The Kings could probably improve to the point where they could make one last run with this core, but several things would have to happen. They would have to retain Voynov without question, there aren't any other answers out there on defense. They would have to move someone for help on the back end. Having Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, Voynov, another solid D, and Forbort/Phaneuf would be nice. Kempe and Pearson would have to pull out of their slump. Vilardi would have to impress. Amadio would have to continue to grow. Lewis would have to return to his normal self. And most importantly Kopitar would have to return to form.

That's a lot of shit that has to go right.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

As almost always, we are in complete agreement. I still think the failure to buy out Richards was the beginning of the end, but I know you think it was the Quick signing.

I am sick of the organizational nepotism. The entire management team needs to go, and they should start from scratch.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I'm indifferent to the nepotism. I love Luc but I don't know how comfortable I am with him as President and I don't like Blake and didn't want him as GM. I do like how so many former players are wanting to be part of the organization still, but that could be bad ala the Oilers under Sather.

Reactions: KINGS17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad