Confirmed with Link: LA Kings @LAKings Welcome to Los Angeles, Phillip Danault!

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
The term and dollars for a defensive third line center when the Kings are loaded with centermen? All nonsensical, but whatever. Yay?
And what center man would this be? Because all of our centers other than Kopi and a little bit of Vilardi and JAD played like shit!
Vilardi’s future is on the wing, Byfield will get sheltered by this signing and be better for it..
Turcotte will probably also shift to the wing or replace Danault at 3C. The rest are likely trade fodder for an established young-ish player.. think Forsberg or there about

Reactions: Oof and Reaper45

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Alrighty then welcome to LA. Perfect fit for us, great defensively but offense will dry out even more coming to the Kings. I'm good with it I guess.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Rob said his goal was to get better players and making the team better. He's done that, by adding 2, 28 year olds that are 'better players' for certain, in Arvidsson and Danault.
For giving up only a 2021 2nd rounder and 2022 3rd rounder. I'm sure the bigger, sexier names were / are harder to come by and some of them would not sign here, anyway.
And, I'm not for giving up the youth, unless it's a killer deal for a legit top 3 forward or top LHD. Maybe the price is too steep.

I'm happy with the Summer so far. Think the Kings are playoff bound now. AND I'm still pumped in getting Clarke, as much as I was the day Doughty was drafted.

Yes, Danault at 4 - 5 years max and at 5 mil or less, sounds good...but reality is, good players are getting paid. Danault is a stud and in his prime. Will make his wingers better
than Vilardi can at this point....gives Byfield time to develop as well, especially if he needs to start in AHL in October. All for him making, it though.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Our new Handzus. Love the signing, love the years. Big defensive center with scoring skill. We are talking Kopitar light here. We have a ton of entry level contracts that will work there way into the lineup in the upcoming years balancing out the cap. Very methodical approach by Blake and co. Talk about insulating Byfield and Vilardi. The next 4 years at center we have:

Kopitar
Byfield
Danault
JAD

We also have:

Vilardi
Turcotte
Kupari
Lizotte

2 of those guys are high ticket guys that we can flip for other needs. Turcotte on wing makes me salivate.

This year we have lost BigMAC but we have gained:

Danault, Arvidsson, and another wicked draft.

Still pointed in the right direction

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
What’s wrong with this?
Iafallo-Kopitar-Arvidsson
Kempe/Turcotte-Byfield-Vilardi
AA-Danault-Brown
Andersson-JAD-Lemieux
Extra Grundstrom and Wagner

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Would have much rather had Buchnevich or Reinhart for this money. I understand the importance of defensive play, but the Kings have had a serious scoring problem for a bit. Over the past 3 seasons, the Kings only beat out Detroit and Anaheim in Gf/GP. Signing a 28 year old center who has a career .5 PPG and whose season high in goals is 13 to a six year deal at 5.5 million does not seem like the best decision for a team in dire need of scoring.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Alrighty then welcome to LA. Perfect fit for us, great defensively but offense will dry out even more coming to the Kings. I'm good with it I guess.

He's still scored 47 and 53 points on Montreal teams that were not great offensively, those years. No King besides Kopi and Brown in the last few years have scored 47+ points.
Just watching him be the only guy in the playoffs, able to stop Brayden Point, was a big deal.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Blake has made this team tougher to play against with this and the Arvidsson additions. There is a serious lack of "try" on this team and Blake has added two guys that try.

He's the type of player they can still win with in the later years of this contract. You can't just sit on your hands and hope that every prospect turns into a guy that can go out and be as good as Danault. All of these prospects aren't going to be here or even in the NHL but the Kings have a legit center for when they move a couple of these prospects or they bust.

It isn't flashy and, as Kings fans, I know we are starved for excitement. He scores all of his points at even strength while also eating tough minutes. Lowering Kopitar's TOI by a few minutes will go a long way, hopefully as soon as the 2022-23 season when you are hoping Byfield is legit.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
He's still scored 47 and 53 points on Montreal teams that were not great offensively, those years. No King besides Kopi and Brown in the last few years have scored 47+ points.
Just watching him be the only guy in the playoffs, able to stop Brayden Point, was a big deal.

Not disagreeing with you just saying how bad our Organization have been at scoring. But Gonna be an interesting year that's for sure.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It gives a lot of options, he came into the league as the best defensive forward prospect and he was playing LW at the time. The Habs have called him the heart and soul of the locker room. He is a Selke caliber talent. That either solidifies our 2nd line or makes our middle 6 ridiculous for a while now. He also takes a big burden off of Kopitar moving forward. I never considered him but we stole this one away from the VGK. Let’s see how it pans out, but I like this, it protects and insulates some of our more one dimensional prospects as well.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
We all know players production is cut in half when moved to LA. So expect Danault's stat line to look something like this over an 82 game schedule:

82 GP , 3 goals, 15 assists, 18 points +10

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
It always needed to be an overpay on money or term for a UFA to come to LA like Handzus, Scuderi, Mitchell, Kovalchuk.

If the GM is smart enough, I think we've seen that bad contracts can be moved without breaking the bank.
There are obviously some exceptions like Skinner/Lucic type contacts that have both ridiculous money and term.
I don't think this is that, so we'll see if it's something that needs to be considered after 3-4 years.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
We all know players production is cut in half when moved to LA. So expect Danault's stat line to look something like this over an 82 game schedule:

82 GP , 3 goals, 15 assists, 18 points +10

think of this, +10 would have lead the Kings by a large margin last year. So in that case the team is scoring more than last year and likely more successful.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
It gives a lot of options, he came into the league as the best defensive forward prospect and he was playing LW at the time. The Habs have called him the heart and soul of the locker room. He is a Selke caliber talent. That either solidifies our 2nd line or makes our middle 6 ridiculous for a while now. He also takes a big burden off of Kopitar moving forward. I never considered him but we stole this one away from the VGK. Let’s see how it pans out, but I like this, it protects and insulates some of our more one dimensional prospects as well.

Yeah, keeping him away from a rival was worth the extra year. F- Vegas!

Reactions: Telos

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Would have much rather had Buchnevich or Reinhart for this money. I understand the importance of defensive play, but the Kings have had a serious scoring problem for a bit. Over the past 3 seasons, the Kings only beat out Detroit and Anaheim in Gf/GP. Signing a 28 year old center who has a career .5 PPG and whose season high in goals is 13 to a six year deal at 5.5 million does not seem like the best decision for a team in dire need of scoring.

I like Danault more than Buch but I did like the idea of Reinhart. Takes two to tango though and Buffalo wanted a good goalie prospect on top of the 1st.

Blake didn't have to move any picks or prospects for Danault. Two guys added this off-season in an age range the team is lacking and it only cost a couple of picks to do it and a couple of contract years at the end of the Danault contract that might not be lovely. Deal with it then because, right now, it is important to start adding the cream of the crop prospects into a positive atmosphere as opposed to the unrelenting sadness that has been the past few seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad