LA Kings "Enough"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It's nice sentiment, what with the cue cards and donations. Unfortunate that that's all it is. Very sad to me that gun violence has remained so prevalent for so long in the States. Seems like every other week lives are lost due to poor regulations and restrictions. Starting to become as regular as the weather report. It's desensitizing for a population to be subjected to so many tragic events over and over. Good on the Kings for doing their part to bring awareness, but are people seriously not aware of this epidemic? At what point does awareness turn into effective action?

As a Canadian that travels to the US quite often, has many close friends living there, and genuinely finds Americans to be among the most friendly and cordial folks I've encountered... Get it together America.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I know the sentiment is good, but sometimes i feel lole the suits use these tradegies for their own gain and PR. These stickers and arm bands help about as much as thoughts and prayers

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
People intending to do harm will find a way. If not using a gun then a knife or a home made bomb among other means. I wish there weren't so many people killing each other but humans have always had problems with violence and it wont stop anytime soon.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I know the sentiment is good, but sometimes i feel lole the suits use these tradegies for their own gain and PR. These stickers and arm bands help about as much as thoughts and prayers

Time NHL takes a stand like the NFL players and also have the other sports follow...create real change, not just words.

I guess you guys (deliberately) missed the part about--within 24 hours of said event--the team literally donating heaps of money and organizing the blood drive to go directly to the affected community that's right up the road.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I guess it’s easy to look at this like some marvel movie where there are good and bad guys. It’s not that simple. There isn’t a pool of people out there that just wants to cause harm. There’s a lot of background that lead to that choice and that’s what needs to be looked at.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
How does that create systemic change?

I guess you guys (deliberately) missed the part about--within 24 hours of said event--the team literally donating heaps of money and organizing the blood drive to go directly to the affected community that's right up the road.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
How does that create systemic change?

It doesn't. It's immediate relief for an affected community down the street, creating awareness and paying respect.

Condemning them for not changing the world in 24 hours is some couch hero bullshit. Let the community mourn before you start wagging your fingers.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I thought this was in regards to their play this season lol

well, there's a first for everything

didn't even know of this incident until this thread

this was my first thought too, not to be insensitive

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
And that prevents the next shooting how, exactly? God bless america, where victims of crimes like these need public donations in order to survive from the bills they are going to get.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
And that prevents the next shooting how, exactly? God bless america, where victims of crimes like these need public donations in order to survive from the bills they are going to get.

It's not up to the Los Angeles Kings to save the world.

It's simply a nice gesture to help out the community right next to them that just suffered a tragedy.

They're doing a lot more than you sitting here on a message board bitching about arm bands, that's for sure.

Reactions: danaluvsthekings

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
It's nice sentiment, what with the cue cards and donations. Unfortunate that that's all it is. Very sad to me that gun violence has remained so prevalent for so long in the States. Seems like every other week lives are lost due to poor regulations and restrictions. Starting to become as regular as the weather report. It's desensitizing for a population to be subjected to so many tragic events over and over. Good on the Kings for doing their part to bring awareness, but are people seriously not aware of this epidemic? At what point does awareness turn into effective action?

As a Canadian that travels to the US quite often, has many close friends living there, and genuinely finds Americans to be among the most friendly and cordial folks I've encountered... Get it together America.

Not to pit pick a great post but regulations and restrictions are at an all time high. Which helps fuel an American debate. Why do good standing citizens need to bend over backwards to own a firearm which is literally a constitutional right awarded to them because a select few misuse, the right and do horrible things? There is a much deeper rooted issue at hand here than regulations around guns. The epidemic is the situation of america, poverty rate, glorifying of gun violence via music/tv etc.

I'm not saying I disagree with anything else you've posted just that section and I appreciate your input and genuine appreciation for the degredation of our typical society and I agree changes are needed somehow someway.

Reactions: Reaper45

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Where did anyone condemn them for not changing the world in 24 hours? It's the repetitive cycle of violence/guns which needs to be challenged, a 3 pronged approach required (not just 1)...lets see if the NHL does anything bold like NFL players and try to actually change the system...rather than the typical "throw money at the problem" and then "thoughts & prayers"...

It doesn't. It's immediate relief for an affected community down the street, creating awareness and paying respect.

Condemning them for not changing the world in 24 hours is some couch hero bull****. Let the community mourn before you start wagging your fingers.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Where did anyone condemn them for not changing the world in 24 hours? It's the repetitive cycle of violence/guns which needs to be challenged, a 3 pronged approach required (not just 1)...lets see if the NHL does anything bold like NFL players and try to actually change the system...rather than the typical "throw money at the problem" and then "thoughts & prayers"...

You said 'create real change, not just words.' I don't think anyone would disagree with that, but the scope of this event isn't a big, season long campaign or some huge plan they had, this is literally just the team reacting to an even that happened last night by providing immediate support. It's akin to criticizing athletes for donating a million because they could donate more or something.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
The constitutional right is ancient and not relevant anymore.

The constitutional right to bear arms was created so that Americans can protect themselves from Government tyranny; and at that time guns were simple and not the calibre of weapon they are today.

Guns cannot protect you from the Government if they wanted to impose their will on its citizens; the technology and machinery the Government has would make the battle a quick one and owning a gun would be worthless.

Not to pit pick a great post but regulations and restrictions are at an all time high. Which helps fuel an American debate. Why do good standing citizens need to bend over backwards to own a firearm which is literally a constitutional right awarded to them because a select few misuse, the right and do horrible things? There is a much deeper rooted issue at hand here than regulations around guns. The epidemic is the situation of america, poverty rate, glorifying of gun violence via music/tv etc.

I'm not saying I disagree with anything else you've posted just that section and I appreciate your input and genuine appreciation for the degredation of our typical society and I agree changes are needed somehow someway.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

The constitutional right to bear arms was created so that Americans can protect themselves from Government tyranny; and at that time guns were simple and not the calibre of weapon they are today.

Guns cannot protect you from the Government if they wanted to impose their will on its citizens; the technology and machinery the Government has would make the battle a quick one and owning a gun would be worthless.

That's a one dimensional viewpoint that I'll respect but disagree with. Owning a firearm legally is not for a normal American citizen a means of fending off the government anymore. Much like you have addressed that the constitutional right has evolved so have the reasons for owning firearms. Ironically to come back around and defend your post most Americans would agree owning a firearm is a protection mechanism to give them peace of mind in case it should be needed given the state of our country. I'm not into debating political style things so I'll bow out and wish you well. I think your post was well informed and respectful. Cheers.

Reactions: EdmFlyersfan

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
It's not up to the Los Angeles Kings to save the world.

It's simply a nice gesture to help out the community right next to them that just suffered a tragedy.

They're doing a lot more than you sitting here on a message board *****ing about arm bands, that's for sure.
As i said, it is a nice sentiment and gesture.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

Yeah because there is no precedent for the US military to be stonewalled by guerilla fighters with small arms or anything like that.

Also the idea that the government is a monolithic entity and wouldn't split in two with one half resisting is hilariously naive

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO

If you think the reason why lawful gun owners have them is for a potential war with the government, you’re been quite misinformed by the rest of the gun grab brigade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad