Kings Article: LA Kings D Prospect Paul LaDue Is Still Turning Heads With AHL Ontario Reign

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
During the Los Angeles Kings 2016-17 training camp, defenseman prospect Paul LaDue really opened some eyes and turned some heads. In fact, he was impressive enough that there was a little talk about him making the Kings opening night roster.

But LaDue began the season in the AHL with the Ontario Reign. Here's an update on his play and his development through the first three-plus months of the season, including comments from Reign head coach Mike Stothers and exclusive comments from LaDue.

Read all about it at:

LA Kings D Prospect Paul LaDue Is Still Turning Heads With AHL Ontario Reign

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
.... Man.... okay I'll read it. Just know I'm not going to be happy if you get me excited about a Kings prospect that gets traded next week. ;)

Just mess'n. Thanks for the article.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
LaDue is someone we've been waiting a long time for, so it's cool to get a prospect update and interview with him.

Something that’s apparent from watching the Reign is that LaDue has earned the trust of the coaching staff. Indeed, he’s playing in all situations—five-on-five, power play, penalty-kill, first minute of a period and last minute of a period—all the critical moments in a game, all of which indicates that he is making rapid, if not accelerated, progress in his development.

Great to see that he is already trusted as a first-year pro, but even better is hearing that he's not getting worked up about any expectations or perceived pressure. Just take it one step at a time. Good humility shown by the kid That's what makes this sport stand out. Glad to hear he'said fit in well with the close teammates.

Thanks again, Gann.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It was apparent that LaDue was ready when he looked way better than the season vets throughout camp and preseason.

He should be NHL ready by next season, unless Lombardi is foolish enough to trade him.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
After McNabb & the other D get exchanged for Landeskog, LaDue shall be recalled....

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Trading anyone ready or close to on a ELC would be dumb unless you're able to dump a bad contract with them. LaDue's RH shot is needed in LA pretty badly and I like what I read especially about being able to get shots through (Doughty I'm looking at you)keep LaDue unless you're blown away with an offer.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
But next fall he will be?
That is a pretty big leap.

Nobody knows for sure either way. Depending on what Lombardi does, then we'll have a better idea of what he thinks. Another Gilbert type signing in the summer, and it's more of a wait and see. If he doesn't bring in a warm body place holder, then it's more likely that he thinks Ladue is ready. He's going to be 25 by the start of next season.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
College players tend to take a bit longer.

These guys are drafted in their late teens, 20 the oldest. Unless they're free agents out of college, being in the minors past their mid 20s isn't a good indicator of a high end prospect.

LaDue isn't some grinder who will find his niche by his late 20s. Martinez was an NHL dman by the time he was 23. Took him three seasons in college and two and a quarter in the minors for him to graduate to the NHL.

Anyone who takes longer than that is a questionable prospect and would be eligible for free agency before stepping foot on NHL ice.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Most guys don't take LaDue's career path, but that doesn't delegitimize him as a prospect.

He spent a couple of years out of high school in the USHL before going to 3 years of college hockey.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
These guys are drafted in their late teens, 20 the oldest. Unless they're free agents out of college, being in the minors past their mid 20s isn't a good indicator of a high end prospect.

LaDue isn't some grinder who will find his niche by his late 20s. Martinez was an NHL dman by the time he was 23. Took him three seasons in college and two and a quarter in the minors for him to graduate to the NHL.

Anyone who takes longer than that is a questionable prospect and would be eligible for free agency before stepping foot on NHL ice.

Sorry, but you're generalizing way too much here.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Sorry, but you're generalizing way too much here.

Then go ahead and name all the college drafted defensemen who made the NHL in their late 20s.

Just looking at the Kings alone, they've drafted 3 college defenseman who made the NHL: Martinez, Forbort and Gravel.

Martinez made his NHL debut at 22 and was a full timer at 23.

Forbort made his NHL debut at 23 and is now a full timer at 24 (turning 25 in March).

Gravel also made his NHL debut at 23 and is a full timer at 24, and like Forbort, he will also be turning 25 in March.

Matt Greene was 22 when he turned to an NHL pro out of college. Paul LaDue will already be turning 25 in September. He was also signed to a one-year contract and will be an RFA come July 1. If he doesn't turn pro with the Kings, he'll go elsewhere to accomplish that. This guy isn't going to be waiting around until his late 20s to earn a shot when he's already entering his prime years.

I'm using facts, not generalization. A prospect like LaDue won't be in his late 20s when he makes the Kings. Feel free to prove me otherwise.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Then go ahead and name all the college drafted defensemen who made the NHL in their late 20s.

Just looking at the Kings alone, they've drafted 3 college defenseman who made the NHL: Martinez, Forbort and Gravel.

Martinez made his NHL debut at 22 and was a full timer at 23.

Forbort made his NHL debut at 23 and is now a full timer at 24 (turning 25 in March).

Gravel also made his NHL debut at 23 and is a full timer at 24, and like Forbort, he will also be turning 25 in March.

Matt Greene was 22 when he turned to an NHL pro out of college. Paul LaDue will already be turning 25 in September. He was also signed to a one-year contract and will be an RFA come July 1. If he doesn't turn pro with the Kings, he'll go elsewhere to accomplish that. This guy isn't going to be waiting around until his late 20s to earn a shot when he's already entering his prime years.

I'm using facts, not generalization. A prospect like LaDue won't be in his late 20s when he makes the Kings. Feel free to prove me otherwise.

Just to be clear--are you complaining that LaDue won't wait around because the Kings don't have a spot for him? Or that LaDue himself isn't going to be ready? Because it's not very clear...

If it's the former...I doubt it. If he's good enough that they re-sign him, I'm sure he's at least taking the Voynov path up (half-season) unless he absolutely tanks, in which case you wouldn't want him on the roster anyway.

If it's the latter, I talked about his irregular development path above, and it's a little wrong imo to suggest that his hockey age being older means he won't make it, especially considering how he played in different places before the NHL than most.

I agree that generally a guy not busting in until his late 20s would be problematic, especially if he started college right at 18--but that's not the case here.

And I agree with Stothers. Sometimes I watch the Reign and Ladue is phenomenal, no one can touch him, Doughtyish. Other nights he looks like a shook-up version of Voynov, turning the puck over and being soft everywhere. I think, Like Forbort, if he's eased in next year, he'll iron some of that stuff out and settle into the player he's gonna be.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'm suggesting that LaDue should be ready to be an NHL defenseman by next season. Not only out of necessity due to the expansion draft, but also because he will soon be a Group VI UFA, and if they keep him in the minors for another season, what incentive would there be for him to sign a multi-year deal here?

https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#ufa6
What is a Group VI UFA?
A player who's contract is expiring and meets all of the following conditions shall become an unrestricted free agent (UFA):
1. The player is 25 years or older (as of June 30th of the calendar year the contract is expiring).
2. The player has completed 3 or more professional seasons - qualified by 11 or more professional games (for an 18/19 year old player), or 1 or more professional games (for a player aged 20 or older). This can include NHL, minor league, and European professional league seasons played while under an SPC.
3. The player has played less than 80 NHL games, or 28 NHL games of 30 minutes or greater for a goaltender.

By next summer in 2018, LaDue will be over 25, would have 1 or more professional games in the minors (for a player aged 20 or older), and will have played less than 80 NHL games (if he's not on the roster next season).

So the Kings will either have to play him or lose him.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I think because he took a little bit of a different career path, because he's a bit older than normal, they signed him to a 1 year ELC, a year to adjust to a more pro life, and he'll be on the team next year. Whether he should be or not. Someone would take him on waivers, so unless they trade him, he'll be a King come October.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Thanks Ziggy, that makes sense, but as KingsFan7824 says...

I think because he took a little bit of a different career path, because he's a bit older than normal, they signed him to a 1 year ELC, a year to adjust to a more pro life, and he'll be on the team next year. Whether he should be or not. Someone would take him on waivers, so unless they trade him, he'll be a King come October.

THat's what I was thinking as well--like most of the college Kings, the Kings org wants to get his feet wet in the pro life and longer season, and no matter how good he looks/looked, it's important for him to get that one under his belt.

Though I will be sad if he's not the first callup if there's an injury just to get a cup of coffee

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Rob Scuderi played 4 years at BC and 4 years in the AHL and didn't become a full time NHL player until he was 27 and still managed a decent career.

The way I look at it is that Ladue was a long shot from the beginning -- he was picked in the 6th round for crying out loud. Its not like he was some blue chip prospect 4 years ago. If he plays any games for the Kings, its a win. Huge win if he plays 300 games. Given his trajectory from draft year, I hope he does have a decent career and our drafting/development staff get another feather in the cap.

People need to keep perspective. Only a couple kids make it to the NHL from the 4th - 7th round of any draft year. That's 120 draft picks we're talking about, and only like 5 make it. Kings are way out in front with regards to drafting/developing late rounders- and thank goodness since we don't have many early rounders in the system.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
His draft position is irrelevant to this discussion. It's about whether or not LaDue will be ready for NHL duty next season. He's been a productive defenseman at every level and is one of very few right handed dmen in the system who has a legit shot at being an NHL dman.

It is likeky the Kings will lose a dman at the expansion draft and it's also likely for them to have some openings on the blueline once Greene and Gilbert are gone and McNabb or whoever else is moved either via trade or expansion.

Given all of those circumstances and the possibility of losing LaDue next summer as a Group VI UFA, I'd say chances are he is in a Kings uniform next season (if he isn't part of another shortsighted Dean Lombardi trade).

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
His draft position is irrelevant to this discussion. It's about whether or not LaDue will be ready for NHL duty next season. He's been a productive defenseman at every level and is one of very few right handed dmen in the system who has a legit shot at being an NHL dman.

It is likeky the Kings will lose a dman at the expansion draft and it's also likely for them to have some openings on the blueline once Greene and Gilbert are gone and McNabb or whoever else is moved either via trade or expansion.

Given all of those circumstances and the possibility of losing LaDue next summer as a Group VI UFA, I'd say chances are he is in a Kings uniform next season (if he isn't part of another shortsighted Dean Lombardi trade).

I would say his draft position has everything to do with expectations, and those expectations at which age with which he breaks into the NHL.

Ladue's status as a UFA is irrelevant to this discussion. If the Kings don't feel he's ready, then he won't be up and/or gone. I don't see this as a Hickey situation where we're choosing between 2 good young d-men like Muzzin and Hickey. Agree with the rest of your analysis on the state of our d-corps.

At the end of the day, young players tend to stay with the clubs they're with. If DL wants Ladue back, then I have to imagine he'll use some of his magic pixie dust or whatever it is he uses to convince Ladue to come back.

Sam

Feb 27, 2002
I'm suggesting that LaDue should be ready to be an NHL defenseman by next season. Not only out of necessity due to the expansion draft, but also because he will soon be a Group VI UFA, and if they keep him in the minors for another season, what incentive would there be for him to sign a multi-year deal here?

https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#ufa6
What is a Group VI UFA?
A player who's contract is expiring and meets all of the following conditions shall become an unrestricted free agent (UFA):
1. The player is 25 years or older (as of June 30th of the calendar year the contract is expiring).
2. The player has completed 3 or more professional seasons - qualified by 11 or more professional games (for an 18/19 year old player), or 1 or more professional games (for a player aged 20 or older). This can include NHL, minor league, and European professional league seasons played while under an SPC.
3. The player has played less than 80 NHL games, or 28 NHL games of 30 minutes or greater for a goaltender.

By next summer in 2018, LaDue will be over 25, would have 1 or more professional games in the minors (for a player aged 20 or older), and will have played less than 80 NHL games (if he's not on the roster next season).

So the Kings will either have to play him or lose him.
Was Paul LaDue under an SPC for the 2016 AHL playoffs? I assume not, given that capfriendly reported his ELC contract going into effect for the 2016-17 season. If those 3 games LaDue played in the 2016 AHL playoffs were not under an SPC, then the soonest LaDue could qualify for group VI status would be 2019 (if he hadn't played 80 NHL games by then).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad