Kings Article: LA Kings Committed A Major Blunder With Slava Voynov, But So Did Some Fans

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
The Kings totally dropped the ball, or maybe the Kings felt Slava needed his spirits enlightened and were willing to help out despite knowing they would be fined. But that may be reading too much into this.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I have no problem with the reporters reporting what they witnessed. That's their job.

Ron*

I read your entire story, Gann, and must say again that I think you take this "social media" thing way too seriously.

So a few boneheads got loose on Twitter and blamed the reporters for reporting the incident. Big deal. It's Twitter. As valuable as it is for breaking news, the darker side of the medium is anyone can get an account, and that means anyone. As few followers that I have, and few re-tweets, I get insults thrown at me in a much higher disproportionate number than one would expect. I can only imagine how many idiots out there consistently hurl insults at celebrities and athletes; one must wonder why they bother with Twitter at all.

More to the point, no one is going to go down that "slippery slope" of reporting, or follow it should some PR type get loose in the general media again. One look at how fans respond on each team's GDT should be enough to convince you or anyone of that fact. And if you took a look at the thread devoted to this issue, you will find a pretty good representation of the entire spectrum of Kings' fans that that totally supported the move to fans that were totally against it, with reasonable thought processes that supported their positions.

This team has won two titles in three seasons. I still pinch myself when I think of that. But some fans here are not satisfied; they want more. So do I. But we are all (mostly all) very reasonably critical of a team laden with talent, and know they can do better, especially and particularly in the regular season. I don't think you or anyone else need to worry about any fans following the Pied Piper of the Kings, if there is one out there.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I definitely agree with this line, "I’m not buying Lombardi’s answer. But don’t expect him or the Kings to reveal their reasons—they won’t show their hand on this one. In fact, it’s not likely that we’ll ever know the true reasons behind the December 2 episode of the Slava Voynov Show." There's obviously more to this than just 'oops.' Might be in my off-the-record questions list for DL someday :P

I have no problem with the reporters reporting what they witnessed. That's their job.

Amen.

I read your entire story, Gann, and must say again that I think you take this "social media" thing way too seriously.

So a few boneheads got loose on Twitter and blamed the reporters for reporting the incident. Big deal. It's Twitter. As valuable as it is for breaking news, the darker side of the medium is anyone can get an account, and that means anyone. As few followers that I have, and few re-tweets, I get insults thrown at me in a much higher disproportionate number than one would expect. I can only imagine how many idiots out there consistently hurl insults at celebrities and athletes; one must wonder why they bother with Twitter at all.

More to the point, no one is going to go down that "slippery slope" of reporting, or follow it should some PR type get loose in the general media again. One look at how fans respond on each team's GDT should be enough to convince you or anyone of that fact. And if you took a look at the thread devoted to this issue, you will find a pretty good representation of the entire spectrum of Kings' fans that that totally supported the move to fans that were totally against it, with reasonable thought processes that supported their positions.

This team has won two titles in three seasons. I still pinch myself when I think of that. But some fans here are not satisfied; they want more. So do I. But we are all (mostly all) very reasonably critical of a team laden with talent, and know they can do better, especially and particularly in the regular season. I don't think you or anyone else need to worry about any fans following the Pied Piper of the Kings, if there is one out there.

I dunno man, "it's just Twitter" doesn't really cover things. The reporters are thick-skinned enough, and I thought they handled it all incredibly well. People are horrible on the internet, that's nothing new, but that doesn't make it right. There's a reason threats over social media are taken seriously by PDs now--not that I saw any real "threats" to these guys yesterday--and Twitter itself is actually starting to clean up and pay heavier attention to accounts that get blocked etc.

The benefit, of course, of having reasonable access to all types--reporters, bloggers, even PR types--is that, if you're a critical reader, we can sort through that and put together a better picture than ever before.

Obviously the guys yesterday have no idea what traditional reporting entails. I've really liked "The Newsroom"'s takes on both of these this season, dedication to reporting and new media.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I like Twitter from the standpoint of real reporters (including everyday citizens that are just tweeting a picture of something they saw) can get breaking news out fast.

I couldn't care less about what the other idiots are twitting from and information standpoint. Some of it has entertainment value, but most of it has no value.

Captain Mittens*

I like Twitter from the standpoint of real reporters (including everyday citizens that are just tweeting a picture of something they saw) can get breaking news out fast.

I couldn't care less about what the other idiots are twitting from and information standpoint. Some of it has entertainment value, but most of it has no value.

Exactly

The actions of a few don't reflect the masses.

Ron*

I definitely agree with this line, "I’m not buying Lombardi’s answer. But don’t expect him or the Kings to reveal their reasons—they won’t show their hand on this one. In fact, it’s not likely that we’ll ever know the true reasons behind the December 2 episode of the Slava Voynov Show." There's obviously more to this than just 'oops.' Might be in my off-the-record questions list for DL someday :P

Amen.

I dunno man, "it's just Twitter" doesn't really cover things. The reporters are thick-skinned enough, and I thought they handled it all incredibly well. People are horrible on the internet, that's nothing new, but that doesn't make it right. There's a reason threats over social media are taken seriously by PDs now--not that I saw any real "threats" to these guys yesterday--and Twitter itself is actually starting to clean up and pay heavier attention to accounts that get blocked etc.

The benefit, of course, of having reasonable access to all types--reporters, bloggers, even PR types--is that, if you're a critical reader, we can sort through that and put together a better picture than ever before.

Obviously the guys yesterday have no idea what traditional reporting entails. I've really liked "The Newsroom"'s takes on both of these this season, dedication to reporting and new media.

I didn't say "it's just Twitter." I said "it's Twitter." Please don't take my post out of context. The point I made about it's value was clear. And also any bonehead can twit: other side of the spectrum. I'm just saying that I'm not sure this is an issue to get your dander up about.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I didn't say "it's just Twitter." I said "it's Twitter." Please don't take my post out of context. The point I made about it's value was clear. And also any bonehead can twit: other side of the spectrum. I'm just saying that I'm not sure this is an issue to get your dander up about.

Oops, apologies. Don't know how I read that. I'm with you on the value, I just don't like that behavior over the internet is somehow justified by the use of such a tool--I think we actually agree, sorry for my phrasing above.

But don't you dare talk about my dander like that!

Ron*

Oops, apologies. Don't know how I read that. I'm with you on the value, I just don't like that behavior over the internet is somehow justified by the use of such a tool--I think we actually agree, sorry for my phrasing above.

No worries. Everything is cool, even your dander. :)

Ron*

The fact that those dudes got hate mail for doing their job is incredibly silly.

SILLY defines Twitter, Jason. Also STUPID. But as I said above, it's value cannot be overstated. Just got to take the bad with the good, I guess.

Captain Mittens*

The fact that those dudes got hate mail for doing their job is incredibly silly.

SILLY defines Twitter, Jason. Also STUPID. But as I said above, it's value cannot be overstated. Just got to take the bad with the good, I guess.

One of the biggest advantages of twitter is also it's greatest problem, immediate access with fans.
Some are cool (me) some are crazy (ADT) some bring it everyday (Ron)

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Wasn't it a public practice? If they wanted to hide it couldn't they have done a private practice?

Mitchnesses

Hunk of Monkey Love
Jun 7, 2004
Orange County, CA

You are obviously experience real emotional trauma regarding your dander. We should be considerate of this and start a "Learn about and support Brad Doty's dander problem." Once the masses have the knowledge, they'll be more accepting.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You are obviously experience real emotional trauma regarding your dander. We should be considerate of this and start a "Learn about and support Brad Doty's dander problem." Once the masses have the knowledge, they'll be more accepting.

Thank you. The first step was publicly admitting it after Ron called me out. I'm currently working throughit

Kopiterror

Mar 7, 2013
As long as news from "unnamed sources" continues to drive sports media reporting, I can't consider sports journalists to be bona fide journalists. It seems to me that sports journalists pick and choose when to defend their "journalistic integrity" and when to bend the rules to get some clicks on their website. I'm not saying that the three gentleman who reported the Voynov news fall into this category, but when journalists start jumping on their high horses, and sports journalists in particular, I grow wary.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I get that it's cool that folks have access to our favorite sports franchise and get to converse with the players, coaches, GM, etc., and some of them even get paid to do it.

But you know what? The stuff that is written by the hoard of them isn't THAT important. We could easily get by with a couple of people covering the Kings inside the locker room.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
I get that it's cool that folks have access to our favorite sports franchise and get to converse with the players, coaches, GM, etc., and some of them even get paid to do it.

But you know what? The stuff that is written by the hoard of them isn't THAT important. We could easily get by with a couple of people covering the Kings inside the locker room.

Ironic that, in a town where hockey coverage has been something fans were clamoring for because of the minimal coverage we've had, now there's too much.

Wow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad