News Article: LA Kings 2014-15 Preseason Prospect Rankings - FULL LIST RELEASED

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
We’ll begin to break it all down via a three-part look at the 2014-15 Pre-Season Prospect Rankings, starting below with some commentary on seven guys who didn’t make the Top 10, but are knocking on the door from the outside and could crack the list by the time we publish the next update (note: our rankings are published twice a year, pre-season and mid-season). Here’s our honorable mention group, listed in alphabetical order, with no ranking assigned:

LA Kings 2014-15 Preseason Prospect Rankings – Honorable Mention

UPDATE:

With the Manchester Monarchs season schedule about to get underway tomorrow, now is a great time to continue our bi-annual look at the Kings top prospects. Last week, we rolled out detailed write-ups on the seven prospects sitting just outside the Top 10 – Patrik Bartosak, J.F. Berube, Nick Ebert, Kevin Gravel, Zac Leslie, Roland McKeown, and Nikolay Prokhorkin. If you missed the Honorable Mentions article, it’s linked below for your reference.

LA Kings 2014-15 Preseason Prospect Rankings: No. 6-10

ANOTHER UPDATE:

LA Kings 2014-15 Prospect Rankings: The Coveted Top 5

While different people around the world of hockey approach these type of rankings using a myriad of different systems and methodologies – i.e. how NHL-ready a player is, a guy’s long-term upside, who fits the team’s needs best, etc. – our rankings are based upon overall value. Put simply, all things being equal, which player would you have to have if you were another GM looking to swing a deal. Thus, these are who we view as the Kings’ most prized assets.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It seems like Prokhorkin has made attempts to come over to the U.S. and is committed to someday try to make the NHL. Though I don't know where he'll fit in on this roster, especially with guys like Weal, Shore and Kempe being a year or two away from possibly nailing down roster spots.

What crazy times us Kings fans live in, where the organization suddenly has too much depth on offense, as opposed to the days of them having to call up the likes of Jeff Shevalier, Kevin Brown, and Keith Redmond.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Nice article.... looking forward to the next 2 parts.

The more CNS the better!

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Nice article.... looking forward to the next 2 parts.

The more CNS the better!

Thanks!

Hoping to do some awesome stuff this year. And always good to start out with my favorite article we do - the top prospects list.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
It seems like Prokhorkin has made attempts to come over to the U.S. and is committed to someday try to make the NHL. Though I don't know where he'll fit in on this roster, especially with guys like Weal, Shore and Kempe being a year or two away from possibly nailing down roster spots.

What crazy times us Kings fans live in, where the organization suddenly has too much depth on offense, as opposed to the days of them having to call up the likes of Jeff Shevalier, Kevin Brown, and Keith Redmond.

Don't forget, some of us were hoping Lundmark would have stuck because he scored a shootout goal and a former 1st rounder pick :laugh:

Captain Mittens*

Manor Alcaldía 04 de octubre de 2014 ↔ comentarios LA Reyes 2014-15 pretemporada perspectiva Rankings – Honorable mención

En lo que se ha convertido en una de nuestras series más visto de los artículos en los últimos años , es el momento de nuevo para una nueva edición de los LA Kings Top 10 de Prospect Rankings. El contenido proveído aquí ha llegado a ser casi la biblia de la información de prospección , ya que compartimos todas las últimas ideas sobre la cosecha superior del equipo de aspirantes futuros . Nadie ( bueno, nadie que no informe a Dean Lombardi ) habla con más entrenadores , scouts , Gerentes Generales , compañeros, etc sobre las perspectivas de los Reyes sobre una base regular que MayorsManor .
Para los nuevos en la fiesta, fue aquí en 2011 , donde le dimos Martin Jones y Jake Muzzin como los dos mejores prospectos del equipo - por delante de los chicos más pregonadas como Andrei Loktionov y selección de primera ronda Thomas Hickey . También tuvimos Tyler Toffoli como la perspectiva hacia adelante la parte superior de nuestra lista de ese mismo año .

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Interesting article in the series.

Guess the Mayor doesn't require my input on this stuff anymore. Bummer way to find out. Saw it coming anyway. Good luck, CNS.

KHenry14

May 23, 2013
Thanks!

Hoping to do some awesome stuff this year. And always good to start out with my favorite article we do - the top prospects list.

Curious about the comments about Prokhorkin essentially being downgraded. This is the first non-glowing comments I've seen about him. Can you expand on the analysis that was done on him?

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Curious about the comments about Prokhorkin essentially being downgraded. This is the first non-glowing comments I've seen about him. Can you expand on the analysis that was done on him?

Commitment is absolutely massive to the Kings and its clear some question his commitment to being an NHLer.

KHenry14

May 23, 2013
Commitment is absolutely massive to the Kings and its clear some question his commitment to being an NHLer.

Really? So all this stuff about him try to buy his way out of his contract was just a ruse? Or not true? I must admit that your response was not what I was expecting.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Really? So all this stuff about him try to buy his way out of his contract was just a ruse? Or not true? I must admit that your response was not what I was expecting.

This list has always been based on the value to the organization and almost all of the feedback comes from people around the league/within the organization. It isn't hard to read between the lines and pinpoint that, because it surely isn't his play keeping him out of the top 10. It isn't to say that it was a ruse on his part, but everyone wanted him here and he's not. Read into that what you will.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007

Yiiiikes names that bring shivers through my spine! I'm sure there's a few more but those dudes were suppose to be our future! :shakehead

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I seem to recall Prokhorkin trying to come over at the end of the previous KHL season but of course that crooked league somehow managed to claim that he can't be released from his contract.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I seem to recall Prokhorkin trying to come over at the end of the previous KHL season but of course that crooked league somehow managed to claim that he can't be released from his contract.

Yeah, he's tried twice now to get out of his KHL contract and each time the KHL stepped in and denied his request using fineprint in the contract.

The abridged version of what I've heard; The first time he may or may not have even signed a contract (a report I read said his dad's name was on it since he was 17 at the time) and he tried to get the contract invalidated. He was told at that time that he could "buy out" the remainder of his contract and the Kings attempted to do that, only to be told it had to be his money and not the Kings. This past summer he had the money to buy out his deal and filed the paperwork to do so only to have the KHL come in and say that he had missed the deadline to file the paperwork and that it needed to be done at some point during the previous season.

That's alot of work to get out of a deal and seems pointless if you don't want to be in the NHL.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Before the Zona Yotes game starts, 6-10 are out now...and you'll be surprised at one prospect. Link added to OP.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Hey guys. Top 5 are out btw. Love to hear feedback of what you guys think of the list now that it is all out!

While different people around the world of hockey approach these type of rankings using a myriad of different systems and methodologies – i.e. how NHL-ready a player is, a guy’s long-term upside, who fits the team’s needs best, etc. – our rankings are based upon overall value. Put simply, all things being equal, which player would you have to have if you were another GM looking to swing a deal. Thus, these are who we view as the Kings’ most prized assets.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I think when all is said and done and the names on that list have graduated or moved on, that Adrian Kempe will turn out to be the best player from that group, but no arguments from having Zykov at #1 right now.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
I think when all is said and done and the names on that list have graduated or moved on, that Adrian Kempe will turn out to be the best player from that group, but no arguments from having Zykov at #1 right now.

For some reason I have a 'Kopitar feel' about Kempe. Probably more so since he's taken the same route as Kopitar, being a teenager playing against men.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Hey guys. Top 5 are out btw. Love to hear feedback of what you guys think of the list now that it is all out!

- Zykov hasn't had a hat trick this season. He had a five point night with two goals and three assists.

- I'm a bit confused about the rankings/criteria. The rankings are based on overall value and what player you would rather make a deal for if you are a GM, but then Mersch is ranked higher than Dowd, because he fills the left wing hole. Wouldn't most GMs place a bit more value in a two way center who's a Hobey Baker finalist and leader who has also outscored the aforementioned player (not just this year but in college)? And then Weal is ranked below both, even though a scout feels he could play on 15 NHL teams right now, which I think would make him a desirable player for GMs to go pursue? So, is it by fit on the Kings, value to other teams, or what?

- I'm not sure it's accurate to say Kempe is in good hands with Modo, because they produced players like the Sedins, Naslund, and Forsberg. Modo missed the playoffs last year and aren't very good this year. The aforementioned players haven't been developed by Modo for at least 15 years (I know they played since the lockout, but I wouldn't call that "developed"). I know some good players like Hedman has come out of Modo, but very good players also played on the Oilers at one point; I wouldn't say Eberle, Yakupov, etc. are in good hands there.

Don't get me wrong, I actually have Kempe high on my list, but I think adding very good players who were developed by Modo 15-20 years ago gives people unrealistic expectations. His top end offensive abilities are, to me, a bit limited. He looks like he'll be a very strong systems type player (which is why I think he's a great fit on the Kings), but I think he'll top out as a slightly more offensively gifted Trevor Lewis.

One player who I think will surprise a lot of people very quickly is Mike Amadio, and think he should be in the honorable mentions. He's a defensive forward with exceptional vision and passing ability. He's already the top line center on a defensive North Bay Battalion, and is second in scoring with 8 points in 7 games; only Nick Paul, one year his senior, is out scoring him. I was disappointed he didn't get recognized at all.

Otherwise, can't argue much with the list. Mine's different, and mostly using different criteria and I don't have any feedback from executives/scouts. But it was an enjoyable and interesting series of articles.

The short version of my list, made back in July, was:
1. Kempe
2. Zykov
3. McNabb
4. Prokhorkin
5. Gravel
6. Forbort
7. Andreoff
8. McKeown
9. Shore
10. Bartosak
11. Amadio
12. Ebert
13. Dowd
14. Johnson
15. Mersch

seen em all

Aug 31, 2009
- Zykov hasn't had a hat trick this season. He had a five point night with two goals and three assists.

- I'm a bit confused about the rankings/criteria. The rankings are based on overall value and what player you would rather make a deal for if you are a GM, but then Mersch is ranked higher than Dowd, because he fills the left wing hole. Wouldn't most GMs place a bit more value in a two way center who's a Hobey Baker finalist and leader who has also outscored the aforementioned player (not just this year but in college)? And then Weal is ranked below both, even though a scout feels he could play on 15 NHL teams right now, which I think would make him a desirable player for GMs to go pursue? So, is it by fit on the Kings, value to other teams, or what?

- I'm not sure it's accurate to say Kempe is in good hands with Modo, because they produced players like the Sedins, Naslund, and Forsberg. Modo missed the playoffs last year and aren't very good this year. The aforementioned players haven't been developed by Modo for at least 15 years (I know they played since the lockout, but I wouldn't call that "developed"). I know some good players like Hedman has come out of Modo, but very good players also played on the Oilers at one point; I wouldn't say Eberle, Yakupov, etc. are in good hands there.

Don't get me wrong, I actually have Kempe high on my list, but I think adding very good players who were developed by Modo 15-20 years ago gives people unrealistic expectations. His top end offensive abilities are, to me, a bit limited. He looks like he'll be a very strong systems type player (which is why I think he's a great fit on the Kings), but I think he'll top out as a slightly more offensively gifted Trevor Lewis.

One player who I think will surprise a lot of people very quickly is Mike Amadio, and think he should be in the honorable mentions. He's a defensive forward with exceptional vision and passing ability. He's already the top line center on a defensive North Bay Battalion, and is second in scoring with 8 points in 7 games; only Nick Paul, one year his senior, is out scoring him. I was disappointed he didn't get recognized at all.

Otherwise, can't argue much with the list. Mine's different, and mostly using different criteria and I don't have any feedback from executives/scouts. But it was an enjoyable and interesting series of articles.

1. Kempe
2. Zykov
3. McNabb
4. Prokhorkin
5. Gravel
6. Forbort
7. Andreoff
8. McKeown
9. Shore
10. Bartosak
11. Amadio
12. Ebert
13. Dowd
14. Johnson
15. Mersch

No love for Sabourin either :(

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013

1. Kempe
2. Zykov
3. McNabb
4. Prokhorkin
5. Gravel
6. Forbort
7. Andreoff
8. McKeown
9. Shore
10. Bartosak
11. Amadio
12. Ebert
13. Dowd
14. Johnson
15. Mersch

King's Pawn
, what do you think of LaDue since he's on the Mayor's list?

A thought: LaDue's nickname is Dewey, so if he ever makes the Kings do you think he would be open to changing it to Huey?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/video/3097469641001

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

King's Pawn
, what do you think of LaDue since he's on the Mayor's list?

A thought: LaDue's nickname is Dewey, so if he ever makes the Kings do you think he would be open to changing it to Huey?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/video/3097469641001

I have him outside of the top 20 for now. I haven't seen him a whole lot, but I need to see him do more. Him getting a roster spot as a freshman is a tad less spectacular considering he had an extra year of development in the USHL, so he should be a bit more physically mature compared to other freshmen.

It's why I had Dowd ranked low for a while. He's older, so his ranking took a small hit from me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad