Kings Article: LA Kings’ Gamble on Sheldon Rempal Could Pay Off Big

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
LA Kings Vice President/General Manager Rob Blake has signed seven unrestricted free agent prospects out of college or major junior hockey who went undrafted, or didn't sign with the team that originally drafted them. It's a bit of a gamble, but it could easily pay off.

One such gamble is forward prospect Sheldon Rempal, who has seen limited action with the Kings this season. But he has averaging more than one point per game with the AHL Ontario Reign, leading them in scoring.

Rempal and Reign head coach Mike Stothers spoke with Frozen Royalty about Rempal and what still lies ahead for him in terms of his development.

Read all about it at...

LA Kings’ Gamble on Sheldon Rempal Could Pay Off Big

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Rempal is 23 years old. He's 5-10, 165 lbs. Yes, he is a lottery ticket. I wish the kid all the best, but chances are he is another player who has started out great in the AHL, but will not have it turn into the success of an NHL top-sixer, and maybe even that of an NHL regular.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Rempal is 23 years old. He's 5-10, 165 lbs. Yes, he is a lottery ticket. I wish the kid all the best, but chances are he is another player who has started out great in the AHL, but will not have it turn into the success of an NHL top-sixer, and maybe even that of an NHL regular.

That's the thing, though. These stories are great because it's a lottery ticket. Cashing in is just a great reward.

Quick correction in the article:
President/General Manager Dean Lombardi built a team that won two Stanley Cup Championships in the span of three seasons, his successor, current Vice President/General Manager Rob Blake, inherited a franchise that had no first-round draft picks from 2013 to 2016.

Kempe in 2014

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
That's the thing, though. These stories are great because it's a lottery ticket. Cashing in is just a great reward.

Quick correction in the article:

Kempe in 2014
...and there is nothing wrong with the Kings buying as many lottery tickets as possible. Just don't try to sell me on the idea that any of these guys are going to be world beaters in the NHL.

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
If Rempal improves his play in the slot, he could be next years Luff, but shiftier

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
...and there is nothing wrong with the Kings buying as many lottery tickets as possible. Just don't try to sell me on the idea that any of these guys are going to be world beaters in the NHL.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you want?

Do you not want Gann to write these stories of players who may or may not make it?

Or do you want management to come out and say "don't expect anything from him. Closest he'll ever get to glory is when he sat in the same part of the bench Richards farted on during Game 6 of the Stanley Cup final?"

Following prospects is seeing the growth. To me, it's watching the ones who make it versus those who don't, and some will be followed closely with hope, (Vilardi) and some will be barely covered until they shock the world (for example, if Södergran suddenly sets the world on fire).

I don't know what expectations you have. They obviously think he's talented enough if they sought to sign Rempal about 6 months ago. This isn't management saying "Rempal will save the franchise." He's a talented player who, if he pans out, could do great things in the NHL.

I'm sorry if I'm not understanding, but what was so wrong about the article that Rempal was being sold as a world beater?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you want?

Do you not want Gann to write these stories of players who may or may not make it?

Or do you want management to come out and say "don't expect anything from him. Closest he'll ever get to glory is when he sat in the same part of the bench Richards farted on during Game 6 of the Stanley Cup final?"

Following prospects is seeing the growth. To me, it's watching the ones who make it versus those who don't, and some will be followed closely with hope, (Vilardi) and some will be barely covered until they shock the world (for example, if Södergran suddenly sets the world on fire).

I don't know what expectations you have. They obviously think he's talented enough if they sought to sign Rempal about 6 months ago. This isn't management saying "Rempal will save the franchise." He's a talented player who, if he pans out, could do great things in the NHL.

I'm sorry if I'm not understanding, but what was so wrong about the article that Rempal was being sold as a world beater?
I don't expect anything from Gann. I don't expect him to write articles I agree with, and I don't expect him to respond to my comments on the players he covers in an article.

A little perspective would be appropriate related to how many 23-year olds playing in the AHL make it to the NHL and make significant contributions.

Reactions: BigKing

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I don't expect anything from Gann. I don't expect him to write articles I agree with, and I don't expect him to respond to my comments on the players he covers in an article.

A little perspective would be appropriate related to how many 23-year olds playing in the AHL make it to the NHL and make significant contributions.

The answer is very few.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The answer is very few.
Exactly. You have people like Hoven out there telling long time fans who are just as familiar with the franchise as they are telling us we are crazy for wanting a rebuild.

I think some of these guys are a little too "generous" in their coverage in order to get access. To me, it just feels an awful lot like the Dave Taylor dumpster diving days where we are supposed to get excited about every new prospect the Kings sign just because they are firing with a hot stick in the AHL or some European league.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Exactly. You have people like Hoven out there telling long time fans who are just as familiar with the franchise as they are telling us we are crazy for wanting a rebuild.

I think some of these guys are a little too "generous" in their coverage in order to get access. To me, it just feels an awful lot like the Dave Taylor dumpster diving days where we are supposed to get excited about every new prospect the Kings sign just because they are firing with a hot stick in the AHL or some European league.

I always remind myself of Justin Azevedo when assessing prospects and production.

Who is Justin Azevedo ? A former sixth round pick of the Kings that is clearly skilled, the guy is a Multi AHL allstar as well a yearly KHL allstar. He has been damn near a PPG player his whole career, he has never set foot on NHL ice. Or look at it this way, Andy Andreoff is a PPG right now in the AHL.

I am not even excited about Vilardi, i'll get excited when he is a PPG or near it in a mens league like Kupari

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I typed out a longer message on my phone and it crashed, so I apologize this one is much shorter. Here are some older players signed as free agents and played in the AHL, who either look good with the handful of games played or had good, long careers:
Tyler Bozak
Jeff Halpern
Zach Aston-Reese
Spencer Foo
Marc-Andre Bergeron
Jay Beagle
Ed Belfour (I know, he's a much older example)
Sergei Bobrovsky (though he never played in the AHL)
Dan Boyle
Alex Burrows
Christian Folin

I have to cut it short. Here's the list of all undrafted NHL players. They all have their own story. Category:Undrafted National Hockey League players - Wikipedia

Many of whom didn't play in the NHL without some prior professional experience.

It's not common, but it's not unheard of to have a solid career.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I typed out a longer message on my phone and it crashed, so I apologize this one is much shorter. Here are some older players signed as free agents and played in the AHL, who either look good with the handful of games played or had good, long careers:
Tyler Bozak
Jeff Halpern
Zach Aston-Reese
Spencer Foo
Marc-Andre Bergeron
Jay Beagle
Ed Belfour (I know, he's a much older example)
Sergei Bobrovsky (though he never played in the AHL)
Dan Boyle
Alex Burrows
Christian Folin

I have to cut it short. Here's the list of all undrafted NHL players. They all have their own story. Category:Undrafted National Hockey League players - Wikipedia

Many of whom didn't play in the NHL without some prior professional experience.

It's not common, but it's not unheard of to have a solid career.

Nobody said it doesn't happen, said it's rare

Last edited:

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

It's his first professional season and he was a very sought after college free agent. Obviously NHL scouts thought he had NHL potential and his first season in the AHL has done nothing to disprove that belief. Why do you feel the need to provide "perspective"(which seems to just be negativity for negativity's sake) in a thread discussing the success a young prospect has had. Also, are you solely basing your prediction of failure on other prospects or on his play?

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Ask for a rebuild, then complain about the start of the rebuild.

Sorry buddy, that's all I'm getting from this, you're actively crapping on a guy trying to provide more background on a prospect for no real reason than faux outrage over an implicit theory that doesn't exist in the piece. No one remotely said he's a world beater or even on track to be one, literally only that he's a lottery ticket.

Jesus f***ing Christ why do I even bother sometimes, some people just love being miserable over the franchise no matter what, now even free assets are controversial

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Ask for a rebuild, then complain about the start of the rebuild.

Sorry buddy, that's all I'm getting from this, you're actively crapping on a guy trying to provide more background on a prospect for no real reason than faux outrage over an implicit theory that doesn't exist in the piece. No one remotely said he's a world beater or even on track to be one, literally only that he's a lottery ticket.

Jesus ****ing Christ why do I even bother sometimes, some people just love being miserable over the franchise no matter what

Hmmmmmm..now that sounds like something I've been saying for nearly 2 years over that joker.....

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
LA Kings Vice President/General Manager Rob Blake has signed seven unrestricted free agent prospects out of college or major junior hockey who went undrafted, or didn't sign with the team that originally drafted them. It's a bit of a gamble, but it could easily pay off.

... or it could blow up in our faces like almost every other recent acquisition...

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
I favor optimism with all the prospects. Stories like Rempal, and many others over the years, show that there are possibilities that a player may exceed expectations and become a useful NHL player.

One thing though that has not worked out for the Kings is acquiring "smurfs." A few 'home runs' would be nice.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
... or it could blow up in our faces like almost every other recent acquisition...

How exactly could it blow up in their faces? That's utter nonsense, what do you think they are gonna HAVE to keep on resigning him if he's not good? What utter BS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad