Value of: (LA/COL) Sean Walker to the Avs

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Something has gotta give on the LA blueline, and it seems like Walker is kind of the odd man out. Avs have a big need on the right side after trading Helleson and Barron and I can't see them keeping both EJ and Manson next season. With his ability and contract, Walker is a perfect target for the Avs, but what would the Kings need?

Avs also have a need at C, so if there is a bigger deal that can include a C coming back, that would be ideal. However I don't see a fit there (assuming Vilardi is likely to be a full time winger)

Reactions: BringTheReign

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Our biggest roster need is at LD, and our biggest system need is at G. We’re still building out of the rebuild, but near NHL-ready prospects would be nice. I could also just see this being a draft pick trade to give Blake more ammo moving around the draft/using in another player trade while freeing up a roster spot.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
Our biggest roster need is at LD, and our biggest system need is at G. We’re still building out of the rebuild, but near NHL-ready prospects would be nice. I could also just see this being a draft pick trade to give Blake more ammo moving around the draft/using in another player trade while freeing up a roster spot.
Sam Girard is the only LD we'd have available, but I didn't think he'd fit what Blake would be looking for with the likes of Durzi, Spence, Anderson, Bjornfot and Clarke as undersized puckmovers. I see LA as a prime landing spot for Chychrun if he's moved. If Girard is of interest then a C coming back with Walker would be ideal. But a pick trade straight up definitely works for the Avs. Hopefully the old buddies Blake and Sakic can work something out.

Reactions: kinghock

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Sam Girard is the only LD we'd have available, but I didn't think he'd fit what Blake would be looking for with the likes of Durzi, Spence, Anderson, Bjornfot and Clarke as undersized puckmovers. I see LA as a prime landing spot for Chychrun if he's moved. If Girard is of interest then a C coming back with Walker would be ideal. But a pick trade straight up definitely works for the Avs. Hopefully the old buddies Blake and Sakic can work something out.
You are correct.

LA defensive squad has enough undersized players.

Girard is not needed here even for free.

In my opinion you can have Walker for 2 round pick.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Fairly strange statement there... I wouldn't have any interest in Walker for a 2nd round pick personally. Might as well sign Manson or a UFA Defender.
What part of statement that “LA defensive squad has enough undersized players” you do not understand?

I am sure Girard has value for other teams, but not for Kings.

It is fine if you do not want to give 2 round pick for Walker.

Reactions: deaderhead28

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Fairly strange statement there... I wouldn't have any interest in Walker for a 2nd round pick personally. Might as well sign Manson or a UFA Defender.
Then kindly move along.
Post automatically merged:

Who's available on the Avs would be a great start?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
What part of statement that “LA defensive squad has enough undersized players” you do not understand?

I am sure Girard has value for other teams, but not for Kings.

It is fine if you do not want to give 2 round pick for Walker.

There's a generally mentality around here where fans like to make big statements such as "we don't need so and so even for free" and sometimes that makes sense, if you're talking Kurtis MacDermid. But more often it makes no sense, because there's some aversion to that player's skillset (size, skating, physicality, handedness). The proper response would be 'Girard doesn't meet the Kings overall needs of size from the backend' not 'We don't need Girard even for free' because quite honestly he'd address a significant gap in puck moving and be extremely complimentary to Doughty or Clarke long term on a pairing.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
There's a generally mentality around here where fans like to make big statements such as "we don't need so and so even for free" and sometimes that makes sense, if you're talking Kurtis MacDermid. But more often it makes no sense, because there's some aversion to that player's skillset (size, skating, physicality, handedness). The proper response would be 'Girard doesn't meet the Kings overall needs of size from the backend' not 'We don't need Girard even for free' because quite honestly he'd address a significant gap in puck moving and be extremely complimentary to Doughty or Clarke long term on a pairing.

The OP was that the Avalanche trade for Walker, not what kind of player you want to dump on the Kings

Something has gotta give on the LA blueline, and it seems like Walker is kind of the odd man out. Avs have a big need on the right side after trading Helleson and Barron and I can't see them keeping both EJ and Manson next season. With his ability and contract, Walker is a perfect target for the Avs, but what would the Kings need?

Avs also have a need at C, so if there is a bigger deal that can include a C coming back, that would be ideal. However I don't see a fit there (assuming Vilardi is likely to be a full time winger)

If you guys have a talented goalie or winger prospect you can have him instantly

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
The ideas would be to retain Manson and acquiring Walker while moving EJ.

Toews - Makar
Byram - Walker/Manson
Girard - Walker/Manson

to give us arguably a better D core we had this season

If you guys have a talented goalie or winger prospect you can have him instantly
Don't think I'd move Olausson for him, and Avs are too shallow to move Annunen, so I wonder if Kaut would be of any interest. I think he would fit well in the Kings system. Maybe Kaut + a pick.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
For free I take Girard obviously.

Before Spence and Durzi arrived, he would have been a nice addition. LA needed offense from the backline.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
The ideas would be to retain Manson and acquiring Walker while moving EJ.

Toews - Makar
Byram - Walker/Manson
Girard - Walker/Manson

to give us arguably a better D core we had this season

Don't think I'd move Olausson for him, and Avs are too shallow to move Annunen, so I wonder if Kaut would be of any interest. I think he would fit well in the Kings system. Maybe Kaut + a pick.
Something around Kaut for Walker is probably fair. Its just the Kings are at a point where they shouldnt be doing a 1 for 1 trade.
They should be looking to package Walker, two good prospects, and a first round pick or two for a game changer. They have enough assets to do that kind of deal twice over and probably should if the right forward and dman or goalie become available.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
Something around Kaut for Walker is probably fair. Its just the Kings are at a point where they shouldnt be doing a 1 for 1 trade.
They should be looking to package Walker, two good prospects, and a first round pick or two for a game changer. They have enough assets to do that kind of deal twice over and probably should if the right forward and dman or goalie become available.
Rights to Burakovsky could be included in a package like this. We'll see I guess, just think he's a great target for Joe.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Rights to Burakovsky could be included in a package like this. We'll see I guess, just think he's a great target for Joe.
With his injuries I cant imagine hell cost much. Probably a third round pick. I can swear I read he wont even be available to start next season because his latest injury will not be healed in time.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Walker for Kaut would be good imo.

FWIW Kings are at a weird spot, we know we're not going to get 'more' for Walker, but are at a stage where quality > quantity. We have a million prospects and picks and need to start turning them into impact. LA has been arguably the best in the league at filling out the roster with bodies, but what they're missing is blue chippers. So as mentioned above, typically they'd be looking to move a body with additional assets (picks/prospects) to upgrade rather than just add for the future, if that makes sense. Obv. Walker isn't a HUGE piece though so that's trickier here. But at this point Ontario is already jam-packed with prospects with more on the way so another A-/B+ prospect is kind of a detriment rather than a boon.

Reactions: YP44 and Kurrilino

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

I would rather resign Manson.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Are you're feelings hurt by the comment lol

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
I think we let EJ play out the year next year. He's got enough left in the tank.
It's more about saving the nearly 2-4M in cap space while not sacrificing much (if any) talent that a Manson-Walker combo gives us over Manson - EJ or EJ-Walker combo. I'm glad EJ is playing well and wish him the best, but the better he plays just means that we can actually get somewhat of a return on him rather than just a pure cap dump. Perhaps even grab a pick that can be flipped for Walker. I also think it's unlikely we keep EJ AND re-sign Manson. I think it's either/or

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Walker for Kaut would be good imo.

FWIW Kings are at a weird spot, we know we're not going to get 'more' for Walker, but are at a stage where quality > quantity. We have a million prospects and picks and need to start turning them into impact. LA has been arguably the best in the league at filling out the roster with bodies, but what they're missing is blue chippers. So as mentioned above, typically they'd be looking to move a body with additional assets (picks/prospects) to upgrade rather than just add for the future, if that makes sense. Obv. Walker isn't a HUGE piece though so that's trickier here. But at this point Ontario is already jam-packed with prospects with more on the way so another A-/B+ prospect is kind of a detriment rather than a boon.
Completely agree.

And if nothing else transpired, this deal would be good just to have made a little extra cap space for the next big acquisition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad