LA-area men's hockey leagues?

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
Hello Kings fans. Apologies for dropping in on your board, but I have a quick question that can only be answered by LA-based hockey fans.

I am from Boston (Bruins fan) and there is a strong possibility that my wife, son and I will be relocating to LA in the very near future, specifically to the Studio City/Burbank area for purposes of a new job. I was curious regarding the existence of men's hockey leagues in the area. It looks as though the Valley Ice Center is a very solid facility that may have a league. How prevalent are men's leagues in Los Angeles? What is the general skill level of players out west? Are the leagues fairly accessible for someone like myself who is coming from playing hockey for many years on the east coast and basically knows no one out west and will simply be looking to walk onto a team?

Any recommendations you guys could give would be greatly appreciated! Apologies mods if I missed a thread already in existence re this topic.

Thanks Kings fans and congrats on the Cup!

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Pickwick ice is in Burbank, the locker rooms are terrible but the ice isn't that bad. You should be able to jump on a team easily, just go in and talk to the hockey people. http://www.pickwickgardens.com/sqs/dsk.aspx?tabindex=2&tabid=17

The hockey from here to there is about the same, plenty of places to play and you have all the different levels so when you go in tell them what previous levels you played at and they will stick you on a team. If you completely dominate in a league then you can move up.

Valley Ice has all the same leagues and stuff, either place you will be able to jump on a team pretty easily. Good luck on the move.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
You'll be happy to know that LA has a rather prominent adult league hockey community. I can think of 5-6 rinks off the top of my head that offer men's rec league, all with varying skills and experience. The Toyota Center in El Segundo is the best facility in Southern California, and there are many former pros and D-1 players in their top men's league. Hell if you want you could play for my team down in Long Beach, which unfortunately would be about an hour away from you in Burbank.

KingsFanInRI

Waiting 4 next year
Aug 27, 2005
Outside Providence
I have a friend who lives in Torrance and plays in Anaheim.

The highway system is nothing like it is here in Boston; you CAN get there from here :) It's all freeway, no "Take the J-Way to Rt 9 and go over the Bridge past the Dunkies in Charlestown" :) so if you were to be looking around you would not necessarily have to be pigeonholed into one rink. Keep your options open and you will find some good hockey in SoCal.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
a lot of very good leagues in SoCal. most people think the quality isn't that great. they just don't know better. year after year it keeps getting better with homegrown talent and more transplants.

i moved out 6-years ago and was playing in the mens A league down in Anaheim at the Ducks facility. we had a lot of former jr and college players in the league. after i left they created an open league that was above the A league, which was open to anyone. guys were using it in the summer months to skate and stay in shape. one of my buds i played with said he lined up one night and started playing, only to find out Selanne was skating D across from him.

there are a ton of transplants out there so you will find yourself a smattering of everything. the regular crew at pick up sessions we had guys from all across Canada, Finns, Swedes, a few Ruskies, Mass boys, Mich, Minn, Wis guys....you name it everyone is there.

i suggest you hit pick up at different rinks to check out the facility, but more check out the people. you'll find what you're looking for

Wildturkey12

Do It!
Oct 20, 2010
L.A.
Pickwick would be the closest from Studio City, Valley Ice is fairly close as well. If you feel like driving a little more, like someone else said, TSC is awesome. Valencia is nice and its a 30 to 45 minute drive depending on what time of day. I havent been to the new Pasadena rink yet but I have heard it was nice. You also have Culver City, Oxnard and Simi. All of those should be less then an hour away depending on what time you are playing.

Is it just me or does it seem like most of the upper divisions play on Sundays out here?

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
Wow, thanks for all of the responses guys! I really had no idea that there is so much good hockey in socal. Really excited about it now! And to the guy who offered to let me play on his team in Anaheim, assuming I can get aware with working reasonable hours, I just may be in touch.

One more question for you all. My son is going on two and I'm planning on getting him up on skates fairly soon. Looking down the road, is there an equally active youth hockey community in LA?

Thanks again guys!

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
Wow, thanks for all of the responses guys! I really had no idea that there is so much good hockey in socal. Really excited about it now! And to the guy who offered to let me play on his team in Anaheim, assuming I can get aware with working reasonable hours, I just may be in touch.

One more question for you all. My son is going on two and I'm planning on getting him up on skates fairly soon. Looking down the road, is there an equally active youth hockey community in LA?

Thanks again guys!

DEFINITELY!!! the kids programs continue to get stronger. iirc one of the Jr Kings teams finished 2nd in the country last season at nationals. each year there are more guys being drafted that have roots from SoCal one way or the other. the assumption is hockey is non-existent out there. people just don't know until you get out there and see where it has grown to and where it's going

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
youth hockey is also bustling in the LA area and in a lot of socal in general. Look into SCAHA, the Southern California Amateur Hockey Association. The junior kings are the best youth team in LA, but there are plenty of other great programs like the west valley wolves (which is closer to burbank) that offer excellent playing opportunities for the young'ns along with quality coaching. Send me a PM if you think you may be interested in joining my men's league team, we're always looking to add some east coast recruits - I was born in Newton, Mass myself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad