Trade: Kyrie Irving to Celtics for Thomas, Crowder, Zizic & pick (s) is nearly complete

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Actually he's kinda right. IT was definitly better last year and they were kinda equal in 15-16. The only thing Kyrie has on Thomas is the fact he is 3 years younger, which is actually really big and makes the trade kinda fair imo.

If you just look at points scored then they are very comparable but when you add things like defense, age, etc then I would think most people would rank Irving higher than Thomas.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
After digesting this move for a few hours I guess my only complaint about this deal is that it would have been nice if Ainge could have put some conditions on that Brooklyn pick just like the 76ers did when Boston and Philly flipped picks at the last draft. Instead of just including the Brooklyn pick Ainge might have made it so Cleveland would get either the 2018 Brooklyn pick or the 2018 Lakers pick whichever one was lower. :dunno:

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
1688-2k_nba2k18_fob_std_featured.jpg

will they change the cover?

my actual first thought, lol

Looks good.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
If you just look at points scored then they are very comparable but when you add things like defense, age, etc then I would think most people would rank Irving higher than Thomas.

Irving also sucks at defense and is averse to passing the ball.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

If you're counting defense then Kyrie doesn't really look good.

This is a massive win for the cavs.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Scoring is literally the only thing Kyrie does and IT is better at it. So please tell me how Kyrie is better.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i think the cavs win this trade

thomas is just as good as kyrie and with that pick, they can immediately find a new face of the franchise if lebron skips town after next season

not to mention kyrie has yet to prove he can step up and lead a team

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
The worst part of this trade is that the team playing the prettiest brand of basketball east of California just got a one-dimensional chucker to run point for them. But I guess the less there is to like about the Celtics, the better.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Probably desperation. I don't think they could have made a deal with anyone else where they got a player that makes the talent loss minimal like IT does.

All the teams that stepped up weren't willing to give up such talent (obviously because they know Cleveland's back is to the wall in this situation) so the Cavs had no choice. Not like it's gonna matter in a year anyway since the Cavs are likely going to be totally rebuilding.

The Cavs didn't HAVE to trade Irving this season. What was he going to do, sit out the year? He has three years left on his contract before free agency. Thomas is closer to being a FA than Kyrie is though I assume the Cavs won't bother overpaying him and just go back into the dark ages after Lebron leaves anyway.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Irving reminds me of Marbury

I don't think your team is in good shape if he's your best player

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Scoring is literally the only thing Kyrie does and IT is better at it. So please tell me how Kyrie is better.

IT has only been better at scoring than Kyrie the last two seasons and the gap is inconsequential. Maybe we should compare them at the same age. When IT was 24 he was getting garbage points for a gutter team. Kyrie averaged more points for a championship calibre team, as the #2 option.

I mean he's proved that when he wants to be untouchable, he can be untouchable. I don't think anyone can say that IT is clearly better. It's the other pieces and the sticky situation that make this a win for Cleveland, not IT himself.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
It's always funny when a team's fans pump a guys tires for three years about how awesome he is and such a waaaaariaaaaaah and he bleeds green....oops, gave my blind item away.....and now he's average and in decline and so long, buddy.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Pretty much this.

I'd rather have Kyrie than IT but the move is lateral enough where Cleveland is probably still a top 3 seed in the East.

Boston setting themselves up real nice for the present and future given Kyrie is only 25.

Huh? Cleveland is still the favorite in the East.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
This trade is interesting. It's a weird case where I think it makes sense for both sides but at the end of the day, I don't think it changes much in terms of each teams likely finish. Cavs are still 1, Bos still 2 (in playoffs) and both are well below GS.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
So in one offseason the Celtics have moved on from IT, Bradley, Olynyk, and Crowder. That's a major overhaul.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Boston wins this trade long term. Its a steep price and I didn't think anyone was going to pay this much but it is still worth it from the Celtics pov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad