Kyle Wood Interview at Hockey Prophets

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
To get a team to move off a hot prospect that they acquired for almost nothing, you'd have to make a really generous offer, like a swap for Nylander. That's not going to happen. So there's really no point in talking about it.

I'd be willing to consider Connor Brown, but I would still think the Leafs would have to add to it. After all, Wood is a big (6'5, 223 lbs) 19 year-old RHD on a fiscally sound contract who currently has 30 AHL points in 32 games, which is more than Brown (a forward) had in his last AHL season (29 points in 34 games).

We probably need a mid-career forward with a few seasons or at least RFA status for shorter contracts. We ain't competing for the playoffs any season soon, so it would have to be slightly weighted in our favor.

Other Leafs possibilities:
Leipsic (a bit small and a lefty)? Hyman might be okay as well. I'm solely basing my view on stats, size, and age, but I still doubt we move him unless a team is willing to overpay (or a really good Tippett player is targeted).

Best case would be a Wood/Stone package, but we'd definitely need a a fairly successful RHD in return (although we'd still have DeAngelo/Murphy/Schenn on the right). Of course, I'm guessing Wood won't play consistently in the NHL until 2018-2019 (although he'll most likely get some decent NHL minutes next season).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad