Confirmed with Link: Kyle Turris [2 years - $1.65M per]

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Correct me if Im wrong, but weren't Turris' Sens linemates Mike Hoffman and Mark Stone? And he was getting PP1 time with them and Karlsson?

What would a bounce back season look like for optimists with our bottom-6 wingers and zero PP time?

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
So the ideas being discussed here is ....once he had pretty good hands and he might be able to rebound on RW??
Two he is very likely done at center?
They have no idea. They are just shooting the wind from the less pleasant orifice.

Reactions: Anemia

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
So the ideas being discussed here is ....once he had pretty good hands and he might be able to rebound on RW??
Two he is very likely done at center?
I dont think the issue is him at center or wing. It's his horrible defensive awareness. The only potential change to his effectiveness as a winger being better is if he can muscle players along the boards. I doubt he's worked out enough for that.

Correct me if Im wrong, but weren't Turris' Sens linemates Mike Hoffman and Mark Stone? And he was getting PP1 time with them and Karlsson?

What would a bounce back season look like for optimists with our bottom-6 wingers and zero PP time?

A rejuvenated Turris would mean he transformed his game. He needs to be a checking line player to have traction here. Maybe with a bit more of that while retaining some offensive skill can make him a bottom six player who chips in some goals. That's something we sorely need. But, the defensive play comes first.

With upgrades in the bottom six he'd have more help, but even then I doubt Turris succeeds. It's late to totally change his play style and learn new skills. But, not impossible

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I dont think the issue is him at center or wing. It's his horrible defensive awareness. The only potential change to his effectiveness as a winger being better is if he can muscle players along the boards. I doubt he's worked out enough for that.

A rejuvenated Turris would mean he transformed his game. He needs to be a checking line player to have traction here. Maybe with a bit more of that while retaining some offensive skill can make him a bottom six player who chips in some goals. That's something we sorely need. But, the defensive play comes first.

With upgrades in the bottom six he'd have more help, but even then I doubt Turris succeeds. It's late to totally change his play style and learn new skills. But, not impossible

I feel like if getting bought out from his contract and signing for a low contract to a team that doesn't have a top-6 center opening isn't enough to have changed his game last off-season, nothing really will. He is what he is, and the best thing for him is gaining the confidence to make skilled plays around 2nd and 3rd pairing defencemen. Best case scenario he finds chemistry with one of Yamamoto/Foegele and can add a little depth production without getting caved in defensively.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Someone we can trust to outscore the opposition or at least saw it off while playing about 10 minutes a night. If he can contribute to a line that averages less than a goal against every 3 games, 15-20 points is plenty, provided his linemates are generating similarly. If his line is getting scored on every night it doesn't how much he's scoring, he's not helping.

This said understanding his line would be more than just him.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

No idea why they thought he could be that guy last season. He's never been that guy. He will never be that guy.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I mean a bounce back for him would being able on one hand counting the positives he brought to the team over a course of a season.

The guy just didn't have any positive impact last year. It was unreal how little he actually did for us.

Ideally what I'd like to see him do is push the rest of that bottom 6. Make it so he's playing well enough that Tippett actually has a hard decision to make when making his lineup for a game.

Reactions: bone

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
No idea why they thought he could be that guy last season. He's never been that guy. He will never be that guy.
maybe they figured as a right shot center with decent faceoff ability, he could at least play with energy, with reduced minutes. With some defensively responsible linemates, his game could work out, and his offensive ability could come in handy.

Bear in mind that the Turris buyout was not predicted. Whoever was going to get Turris would not have been scouting him a lot. In that way, I do defend the signing. Other teams do it. Even if it was a bad signing in hindsight, it's 1.6 AAV, so if you bury him, that's only 500k of dead cap. That sucks, but it puts that deal in the "moderate reward / low risk" category. Sometimes you make a good bet and it flubs.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
maybe they figured as a right shot center with decent faceoff ability, he could at least play with energy, with reduced minutes. With some defensively responsible linemates, his game could work out, and his offensive ability could come in handy.

That sounds like wishful thinking and a failure to actually scout the player who enjoyed his most notable successes in a soft minutes offensive-minded role.

If they wanted him to work, they should have stuck him in the top 6 as a winger for Drai or mcDavid. Maybe they still can.

Bear in mind that the Turris buyout was not predicted. Whoever was going to get Turris would not have been scouting him a lot. In that way, I do defend the signing. Other teams do it. Even if it was a bad signing in hindsight, it's 1.6 AAV, so if you bury him, that's only 500k of dead cap. That sucks, but it puts that deal in the "moderate reward / low risk" category. Sometimes you make a good bet and it flubs

Ha ha they could have watched some tape?

FTR I didn't hate teh signing either, but i thought the plan was going to be to build a soft minutes third scoring line, not deploy him as a checker with a sub 50% OZS.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That sounds like wishful thinking and a failure to actually scout the player who enjoyed his most notable successes in a soft minutes offensive-minded role.

If they wanted him to work, they should have stuck him in the top 6 as a winger for Drai or mcDavid. Maybe they still can.

Ha ha they could have watched some tape?

FTR I didn't hate teh signing either, but i thought the plan was going to be to build a soft minutes third scoring line, not deploy him as a checker with a sub 50% OZS.
people lately seem to really over estimate the usefulness of scouting off of footage. There's a reason why real scouts are hired. To really scout with footage, you'd need a camera angle that just followed that one player all the time. I'm guessing there were red flags from the footage, but not enough to fully condemn him. There were lots of risks with what we had for 3C besides him too. At least with Turris there was the chance he would fit in well and be a very good 3C, not just the treading water options we ended up going with.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Yikes. I've been secretly thinking he could have a rebound as even when his offense started to dry up he was a positive possession wise prior to last year. But you bring up a great point, if he has a mid-season heater and approaches 10 goals, Holland's likely to re-up him possibly at a raise. We can't have that happen.

Hard to say. The Nurse contract might force Holland to use his money wisely, which could be a blessing in disguise.

Reactions: bone

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Looking back at this post ...

Yep, it didn’t work out. Did you want me to apologize to you personally, or is this post enough?

$1.85M isn’t going to destroy the clubs chances this year either.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Turris might still be at least close to decent this year... there's always a slight chance he could rebound back to his former glory years. Not saying he'll be able to put up 50+ pts again... but 20+ pts shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. The defensive side seems to be falling apart as well though but possibly with a better group of forwards overall... his defensive deficiencies may be covered a little better to some degree.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

He always had a wicked shot back to his days of junior. I wish he could get that off more often

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Why the hell would anyone even think or want that?:huh::thumbd:

All we said, was if he has a good stretch, we hope Holland doesn't go overboard and get all knee-jerk.
I don't think Turris was ever in their long term plans. He was a filler at a fairly decent price with potential to regain form. We need a more grinding banger types with speed playing the bottom 6. No room for him in the top 6 unless there are injuries.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hes probably a filler in for injuries at best.

I guess on the slim chance that he blows the doors at pre-season, then hes probably taking someones job in the bottom six not named Foegele.
I think Foegelle, Ryan, Kassian and Archi are guaranteed spots to start the year.

Leaving 2 for Turris, McLeod, Holloway, Perlini, Shore, Benson, Marody etc.. to fight for. Now if Benson and Marody both do well in training camp I don't see them being waived. McLeod could really be sent down regardless of how his camp is, his spot will probably come down to what others did.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad