Kyle Shanahan vs Andy Reid

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Really interesting to compare how the two coaches prepared their respective teams with regard to the new overtime rules.

After the game, I saw a comment from a Chiefs player saying how they’d gone over the OT rules in meetings every week. The player even mentioned they’d had two meetings in one day reviewing it. That’s the kind of thorough preparation you’d expect from a Hall of Fame coach.

Which made it so stunning to hear Shanahan’s comments today about how he didn’t feel it was necessary to discuss the OT rules with the players. Shanahan said he told his assistant coaches to let the players know before the overtime started.

WTF?!?

Championship on the line and you wait until literally the last minute to brief the players on something as critical as the overtime rules? Trying to explain a set of rules and strategy in a matter of minutes to 53 players who are locked in and focused on the game is pathetically amateurish.

This is a horrible look for Shanahan. Up to now I’ve been a big advocate of his coaching ability, but this to me is an unforgivable fireable oversight.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
Mecole Hardman had no idea he had won the game until Patrick told him.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Strategically speaking, yes. But it’s not like this was kept a secret after the Bills/Chiefs game 2 years ago.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
IMG_0630.jpeg

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Strategically speaking, yes. But it’s not like this was kept a secret after the Bills/Chiefs game 2 years ago.
I agree. I think what it does show is that Reid believed he had a play that he was super confident in running (most likely the same play as the winning TD), so KC would have used a different play(s) to score and then go for 2 to win the game, had SF OL blocked Jones and gotten a TD.

Shanahan, was the opposite thinking or at least didn't have a 2 point play that he was willing to bet the game on as Reid had.

But, there are other factors, like Pressure on a young Purdy, SF D was just on for a 2 minute drill. So, be like a Turnover to ask them to defend first. But, even with half a quarter of rest, the D still was driven the length of the field on. Doubt, it gets better without that 10 minute of real time rest.

4 downs is fine to say if you are down a TD as you would use all 4 downs. If you are down a FG, then you have to decide if you are at 4th and 4 on the KC 20 to kick the FG to tie or run a play to continue your efforts for a winning TD. That's not as automatic.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
I agree. I think what it does show is that Reid believed he had a play that he was super confident in running (most likely the same play as the winning TD), so KC would have used a different play(s) to score and then go for 2 to win the game, had SF OL blocked Jones and gotten a TD.

Shanahan, was the opposite thinking or at least didn't have a 2 point play that he was willing to bet the game on as Reid had.

But, there are other factors, like Pressure on a young Purdy, SF D was just on for a 2 minute drill. So, be like a Turnover to ask them to defend first. But, even with half a quarter of rest, the D still was driven the length of the field on. Doubt, it gets better without that 10 minute of real time rest.

4 downs is fine to say if you are down a TD as you would use all 4 downs. If you are down a FG, then you have to decide if you are at 4th and 4 on the KC 20 to kick the FG to tie or run a play to continue your efforts for a winning TD. That's not as automatic.

I’m talk about players having a basic understanding of the overtime rules - - as in both team possess the ball regardless of a TD or FG on the first possession.

What does the coaches confidence level in a 2pt conversion play have to do with that? And for that matter, what does electing to receive or defer have to do with it?

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Shanahan just doesn't strike me as a very good leader of men. Great coach, great offensive scheme, just not someone I would put my faith in to lead a team and this is another example of it. You can't let your guys be unprepared for this kind of situation. 49ers obviously can't justify firing him (they know his scheme is why Purdy looks competent) but man there's gotta be some soul searching.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00