Kyle Rau - Sioux Falls Stampede, USHL

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Granted, we have him 138th overall but the winner of Mr. Hockey could definitely be one of those guys who ends up going in the first three rounds if a team likes him enough.

Eden Prairie forward Kyle Rau could very well end up that off-the-board pick that pays dividends for the team that selects him in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft in his home state in a month’s time.

“Rau has a chance to be a steal for a team that thinks he can overcome his lack of size and produce at the NHL level,†Future Considerations chief scout Dan Stewart said. “Rau is one of those rare players that desires to be a hockey player so badly that he will likely will himself in a long professional career.â€

http://futureconsiderationsdotca.wordpress.com/2011/05/25/rau-a-draft-day-sleeper/

So how high can he go? Has loads of offensive talent and work ethic but is just five-foot-eight and 165-pounds soaking wet.

Didn't see a thread on him. If there is one please merge it!

JTK1967

Jul 15, 2009
Windsor
Good Idea

I think this is the kind of guy you need to draft in like the 6th 7th round. Huge upside, and a late pick. I hate teams that draft plugs and thugs who if they make it will end up being punching bags.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Granted, we have him 138th overall but the winner of Mr. Hockey could definitely be one of those guys who ends up going in the first three rounds if a team likes him enough.

http://futureconsiderationsdotca.wordpress.com/2011/05/25/rau-a-draft-day-sleeper/

So how high can he go? Has loads of offensive talent and work ethic but is just five-foot-eight and 165-pounds soaking wet.

Didn't see a thread on him. If there is one please merge it!

Unfortunately I have never seen him live so I cannot comment.
Most kids ranked out of the 1st round, top 40 -50 etc. are not going to get much discussion on these boards as very few know who they are and even fewer have seen them play.

You will see discussion and knowledge of the guys further down the list by the likes of Bugg, Flaming, Millard, Luedeke etc.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Rau was a human highlight reel at Eden Prairie. He's very gifted with the puck. But at his stature, I just don't think he has the quickness and speed, nor the ability to see the ice very well to succeed at the NHL level at his frame. Personally, I don't think he'll have the greatest success with the Gophers either but he's got a much better chance of panning out there than as a prospect in general. He seems like Dave Spehar type prospect.

With that said, I think a team may take a swing at him in the 4th-ish round. He has the skill set where he could really pay dividends for a team if he pans out.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
Rau was a human highlight reel at Eden Prairie. He's very gifted with the puck. But at his stature, I just don't think he has the quickness and speed, nor the ability to see the ice very well to succeed at the NHL level at his frame. Personally, I don't think he'll have the greatest success with the Gophers either but he's got a much better chance of panning out there than as a prospect in general. He seems like Dave Spehar type prospect.

With that said, I think a team may take a swing at him in the 4th-ish round. He has the skill set where he could really pay dividends for a team if he pans out.

I watched him live about a half dozen times in the past two years, and he's twice the prospect Max Gardiner ever was despite his size. I think it's fair to have concerns about his lack of size, but his skating/puck handling are beyond reproach in the games that I saw him. As is his first step and explosiveness. He has that extra gear and breakaway speed that very kids have.

Now, with all that being said, I'd be concerned that he can bulk up enough to handle the rigors of the NHL. The little guys that seem to make it (Gionta, Andy McDonald, St. Louis, Gerbe, Ennis, etc) are built like trucks in their lower halfs. They don't weigh a ton, but they're just so strong on their skates, and really tough to knock off the puck. Rau isn't that now, and it remains to be seen if he will be that. But from a skill perspective, he was in a different league than most guys when I watched him play. He was a threat to score every time he was on the ice. Just my opinion, but after the 3rd round you're just trying to find value in a draft like this one. Rau has a huge risk/reward aspect to him, but he's worth a flyer if you ask me.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
Great high school player ...capable of carrying a H.S. team on his back when needed.

But I don't think he will ever amount to anything in the pro ranks. He is not just small, he is built like a boy, not a man. He will get destroyed against the big boys. IMHO

BluechipBulletin

Mar 22, 2011
www.bluechipbulletin.com
His size isn't bad enough to hold him back, but when someone is that small, you expect them to skate well. He doesn't. He was able to dominate against weak competition, but I wouldn't risk anything more than a 6th rounder on him.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
His size isn't bad enough to hold him back, but when someone is that small, you expect them to skate well. He doesn't. He was able to dominate against weak competition, but I wouldn't risk anything more than a 6th rounder on him.

He doesn't skate well? That tells me you haven't watched him much at all. He's not Gaborik but he is quick and elusive.

The thing about Rau is he plays a lot bigger than he is. He is not one of those small, finesse guys that stays away from the rough stuff and won't get his nose dirty. He gets in there and will battle it out with big guys. He takes hits and keeps coming. He is an excellent competitor.

As far as weak competition, it may have been HS but it is about the highest level of HS in the U.S. He also was extremely effective in his short stint in the USHL (1 PPG average and the league's playoffs scoring leader).

Given his drive, hockey sense, and intangibles, I wouldn't bet against him. Grab him in the mid to late round and watch him mature for the next four years.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Spot on.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
for those that saw him -- how was it that he came into the USHL on spot duty as well as the playoffs and seemed to clean-up offensively.

Sioux Falls Stampede USHL 11 4 6 10 15 | Playoffs 10 7 5 12 4

bjtkyo

Mar 2, 2011
Nathan Gerbe is 3 inches shorter than him.

And no one thought St. Louis could do it either.

Never seen Rau play, but based on this information, I'm already pulling for him.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
Nathan Gerbe is 3 inches shorter than him.

And no one thought St. Louis could do it either.

Never seen Rau play, but based on this information, I'm already pulling for him.

I am pulling for him too.

I was in the camp that believed that his competition was not strong enough to get a good idea of where he stood, skill wise.

Putting up the numbers in the USHL playoffs like he did, proved to me that he is very strong for his age group in the U.S.

I watched his game winning goal in the championship game and to be honest, I can't see many players at any level making that play. No coach in the future will question his determination

sfo

Oct 13, 2008
I am pulling for him too.

I was in the camp that believed that his competition was not strong enough to get a good idea of where he stood, skill wise.

Putting up the numbers in the USHL playoffs like he did, proved to me that he is very strong for his age group in the U.S.

I watched his game winning goal in the championship game and to be honest, I can't see many players at any level making that play. No coach in the future will question his determination

I was actually in a "wait and see" approach since you don't really know what he can do against high level competition, but he showed what he could do in the USHL playoffs. I don't agree with the person that says he can't skate either. His compete and battle level is impressive. Never gives up on the play, and just knows how to win.

I don't have any vested interest in the kid since he's playing for the Gophers in college (how unfortunate), but he's a good character kid that could add depth to an organization down the road, depending on any developments to his game he might make in college.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
...except that I have. Rau does not skate well. He's fine at that low level of competition, but he will be exposed when he gets to college, much less anything higher than that.

I saw him play live enough to question how you came to that conclusion about his skating. If you're referring to straight ahead speed, then sure, he's not dynamic. But his first 3 steps are explosive, and he changes directions on a dime. I was at the sectional game against Minnetonka this spring, and I saw two things in his game that just about no one on the ice could do as well as him: 1.) Hit full speed in 2-3 strides, and 2.) Not lose a step with the puck on his stick. That second one is a key factor of what separates the elite from the good at this age...are you as fast with the puck on your stick as you are without it, and Rau excels with this.

I said it before, but the only concern I have about Rau's ability to make it in the NHL is lower body strength. The little guys that always get mentioned (Gerbe, St. Louis, MacDonald, Ennis, etc) are built like trucks from the waist down, and it makes them impossible to knock off the puck. They counter their lack of height/mass with incredible balance and leg strength, and I think Rau's going to need 4 years at Minnesota to see if he can build that up. But I don't have concerns about his explosiveness or skating.

He's a long shot to make the NHL for all the obvious reasons, but let's be honest...anyone taking after the 4th round is a long shot.

Robin Lehner*

Kyle Rau

Any info on this kid? I heard about him earlier this season, but haven't heard about him since. I know he's short (5'8).
Any info on this kid?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Any info on this kid? I heard about him earlier this season, but haven't heard about him since. I know he's short (5'8).
Any info on this kid?

CONS:

He is short. Will never add a lot of weight. Can add to his core but not enopugh to make him a grinder type. Top 6 or bust kind of guy.

Not blazing fast. A guy hissize, if he can out run you size is not so much a factor.

Has only dominated high school hockey. While his USHL numbers were great. He had marginal players in HS and could pace himslef. Being totally fresh for a playoff run.

PROS:

He gets results. On the stat sheet, won a state tourney. Competion may not be the best but he has seperated himself at every level.

He scores ugly goals. Will crash the net and is not affraid to get after it.

Plays at full speed with his head up and puck on his stick.

Is shifty and gets to full speed quick. Is not going to blow by you but is quick enough to avoid the big hit.

My guess: he gets taken by a team that has the luxury of time and can waste a pick on potential. Maybe as early as very late second but more than likely late 3rd to early4th.

Doyle

Feb 18, 2006
Rau on Rau: “I try to get to the net and put the puck away. Any time I watch an NHL game I try to watch the smaller guys and see what they’re doing. I’ve had a pretty good time in (the Xcel Energy Center). It can’t get any better than being drafted 20 minutes from your house. I’m looking forward to playing (at the University of Minnesota) with my good friend Nick Bjugstad.â€

http://nhlhotstove.com/part-ii-rounding-out-floridas-draft-class/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad