Kyle Palmieri

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
By all accounts, he appears to be a 1st round talent. ISS has him ranked 23rd, THN has him ranked 26th, and Central Scouting has him at 20 on the NA skaters, but it's not the talent on him that's being questioned. I know he got kicked off of the US Under 18 team, but has there been any reason as to why this happened? I've read on other places that he has off ice concerns that will scare teams away, but I've also read that the US Develomental Program was making an example of Palmieri for future players and what he did may not have been too bad. I'm sure no concrete answer is out there, but I was just wondering.

TSN says he showed up to the combine in great shape, and he appears to have talent, although he's not the biggest guy. Will he be a guy that falls to the 2nd round because of the issues off the ice or do you think teams won't be afraid of picking him late in the 1st?

Crimson Devil*

For a long time, a lot of people thought NJ would nab him. Personally, I wouldn't mind having him if the players I want are claimed. He seems like a really good, hardworking kind of guy, and he should not miss the first round by any means.

babybruin

Oct 28, 2003
vancouver
In THNs draft preview they mention he was kicked off the US team for refusing to name names in some off ice incendent that took place. They further suggest that this showed character in the eyes of some scouts.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
From this article it sounds as if he was just out having fun. But everyone is being pretty ambiguous about it right now. But this part of the article was interesting I thought:

But it doesn't really matter because (Palmieri's) a hockey player and hockey players do get in trouble sometimes for whatever reasons, but why should we look down on him. He hasn't been charged for anything illegal and was dismissed for team violations -- and that's their prerogative.

Either way, this kid is the Mike Richards of this draft. Bank on that.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
He is in fantastic shape, and a very dynamic hockey player.

He was kicked out of the USNDP for (allegedly) being drunk in his hotel room with a Swedish girl.

arsmaster*

For a long time, a lot of people thought NJ would nab him. Personally, I wouldn't mind having him if the players I want are claimed. He seems like a really good, hardworking kind of guy, and he should not miss the first round by any means.
Pretty small up front for NJ's future dont you think.

I think he compares more to Parise than Richards, IMO.
He is in fantastic shape, and a very dynamic hockey player.

He was kicked out of the USNDP for (allegedly) being drunk in his hotel room with a Swedish girl.

Who can blame him for that:naughty:

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Well, I'm sold on him.

Get it done Lou.

He wasd on my NJD wish list...until I read that his favorite team was the Rangers.....he's sign with them like other previous free agents the first chance he got! lol.

He would be a decent first rounf pick if he could be slotted in as a 2nd line center in 2-3 years. However, I still think we need an offensive d-man with our first pick and I'm hoping for DeHaan or Rundblad unless Lou pulls out some magic and moves up high enough to get Kulikovor Cowan...but I doubt that.

If we take Palmerki in the first, I'm hoping Orlov is around for pick 54.....otherwise, I like Helgeson and the gritty game he brings...a replacement for Colin White in 3 years....

sselssalc

May 2, 2009
Well if he refused to implicate his teammates then you could even take that as a positive.

Rundbland, Palmieri, or De Haan for the Canucks at Draft Day please.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
TSN said the kid was absolutely ripped and everyone took notice at the combine. Is he going to be more of a 2 way player, or does have have good offense?

bruins87

Mar 11, 2008
He was kicked out of the USNDP for (allegedly) being drunk in his hotel room with a Swedish girl.[/QUOTE]

From what I understand it was his hotel room but he was not in the room when it happened. His roommate and other members of the team were with the Swedish girls and were drinking but he refursed to rat them out.

BLAME CANADA*

TSN said the kid was absolutely ripped and everyone took notice at the combine. Is he going to be more of a 2 way player, or does have have good offense?

2 way player can be great offensive players too... look at Mike Richards and Pavel Datsyuk. Just cause someone is a 2 way player doesn't mean they lack in offense just means they're very good in both ends and some can be great offensively, look at Steve Yzerman too, I'd much rather have a great 2 way player than a great offensive player.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
2 way player can be great offensive players too... look at Mike Richards and Pavel Datsyuk. Just cause someone is a 2 way player doesn't mean they lack in offense just means they're very good in both ends and some can be great offensively, look at Steve Yzerman too, I'd much rather have a great 2 way player than a great offensive player.

ok my bad, clearly not what i meant.....what is his offensive upside....is he going to be more of a scoring fwd or more of a defensive fwd who plays bottom 6.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
ok my bad, clearly not what i meant.....what is his offensive upside....is he going to be more of a scoring fwd or more of a defensive fwd who plays bottom 6.

IMO he gets in position to score as well as Parise or Stastny does, but defends like a poor man's Mike Richards.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Ripped? Maybe they ought to test for 'roids? (Just tobe sure its legit honest weight training and not artificially juiced up).

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
that's the kind of character teammates respect. faced with the consequence of being removed from the us team if he didn't rat, he fell on the grenade.

go get him Lou.

I agree that sounds like pretty good character to me. I would much rather have a guy who takes the blame to help others than one who snitches and brushes off the problems on other people. Sounds like a character guy for a hockey team.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
what's the difference between Palmieri and Skille?
Intelligence. Smaller body. Better all-around ability. Skille is basically a phenomenal skater, a big body, and a big slapper. At least when he left the NTDP. In college he developed his defensive game more, but Palmieri already has good defensive ability.

I still think Skille has a place in the NHL, but I don't think he's going to develop into the Bill Guerin clone that was expected of him when he was drafted. Time will tell.

If Palmieri had stayed with the NTDP and played in the U-18's, he would've probably boosted his draft stock up a few more spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad