Player Discussion: Kyle Palmieri

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Kyle had 1 goal in 29 games and since his wife gave birth he's had 4 goals in 4 games.

I'll be interested in seeing him the rest of the year, I don't know if teams will be interested in him for a trade but this guy may have been just going through things behind the scenes we don't know about.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Kyle had 1 goal in 29 games and since his wife gave birth he's had 4 goals in 4 games.

I'll be interested in seeing him the rest of the year, I don't know if teams will be interested in him for a trade but this guy may have been just going through things behind the scenes we don't know about.

Quite honestly there is enough things that went completely off the rails this year that there really is not much a reason to speculate on what exactly did happen with his game specifically. Ultimately, the Isles need to continue to play him in a way that improves his and the collective team's success. This improves the team and his value.

Ultimately, I still believe that Palmieri (given time with Barzal and first unit PP time) can be a 20-25 goal scorer next year. Followed by increasingly diminished returns until his contract ends (20G then 15G). But hopefully by then Wahlstom is moving up the lineup as Palmieri is moving down.

As for him being traded, he has a NTC until the end of next year. The only possible trade that I could see for him THIS deadline and/or offseason is to Boston.

I believe Boston has had past interest in him. I also vaguely recall hearing he has ties to Boston (Wife perhaps?). They also have players like Craig Smith and John Moore (currently their Thomas Hickey) who would offset the cap hit. Isles would be on the hook for those two players for another year.

Reactions: MJF

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I wish I could find that post I wrote that said he would likely bounce back a week ago. I know no one likes a wise guy. :naughty:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Doesn't seem like a "Lou move" to trade Palmieri (one of his former draft picks to boot) less than a year after signing them, especially if that said player is going through something like the birth of their child and currently has trade protection.

Bailey is much more likely to be moved because he has less years remaining on his contract and no trade protection, plus Lou didn't sign him so he may have less loyalty to him. Also, Bailey has had a more consistent season than Palmieri up until the last few games.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
There were a few
It's probably too late for this season, I also think Pageau can bounce back next season. We are going to need this. These guys have longish deals. Pageau can be moved this summer, but given his mediocre season, I am willing to bet on him having a better one next year.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
It's probably too late for this season, I also think Pageau can bounce back next season. We are going to need this. These guys have longish deals. Pageau can be moved this summer, but given his mediocre season, I am willing to bet on him having a better one next year.

It is too late.

Organizationally, we're thin down the middle so I'm not keen on trading one of the Centers. We better hope JGP steps it up a little next season.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Doesn't seem like a "Lou move" to trade Palmieri (one of his former draft picks to boot) less than a year after signing them, especially if that said player is going through something like the birth of their child and currently has trade protection.

Bailey is much more likely to be moved because he has less years remaining on his contract and no trade protection, plus Lou didn't sign him so he may have less loyalty to him. Also, Bailey has had a more consistent season than Palmieri up until the last few games.

FYI, Palmieri is not a former pick and was acquired under different General Management by the Devils. But his DNA is of a Lou player.

Reactions: SI and seafoam

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I've liked what he's done when not babysitting Wahlstrom or Bellows.
the thing with pageau is that he does what he does pretty well. just can't do much else and in a season where everyone is struggling to some degree, we as fans only look at the negative. he is good on faceoffs, plays good positional D, excellent on the PK but the thing i really like about him is that he plays bigger than he is....he isn't afraid to throw checks in the corners and sacrifices his body. the guy isn't great by any means but as this stage of his career, i think he's a pretty solid 3rd line C

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
the thing with pageau is that he does what he does pretty well. just can't do much else and in a season where everyone is struggling to some degree, we as fans only look at the negative. he is good on faceoffs, plays good positional D, excellent on the PK but the thing i really like about him is that he plays bigger than he is....he isn't afraid to throw checks in the corners and sacrifices his body. the guy isn't great by any means but as this stage of his career, i think he's a pretty solid 3rd line C

I would say that most fans will look to his point production (which is lower than his career avg) and that stands out even more on a team that struggles to score.

We shouldn't be counting on a 3C to be one of the primary point scorers but because the top two lines are so inconsistent, here we are. I agree with you that he's very solid at what he is, and the problem is that we are expecting too much from him.

Palmieri on the other hand, is expected to be one of the primary top 6 scorers. His poor season not only contributes to his criticism, but to others like JGP (unfairly).

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I would say that most fans will look to his point production (which is lower than his career avg) and that stands out even more on a team that struggles to score.

We shouldn't be counting on a 3C to be one of the primary point scorers but because the top two lines are so inconsistent, here we are. I agree with you that he's very solid at what he is, and the problem is that we are expecting too much from him.

Palmieri on the other hand, is expected to be one of the primary top 6 scorers. His poor season not only contributes to his criticism, but to others like JGP (unfairly).
i'm willing to give palmieri a "second chance" if you will.....ever since his child was born he has looked like the palmieri of old.....i'm interested to see if his second half mirrors what we've seen in his 1st few games back. i'm thinking that there may be a little more to his early season slump than we know, (injury, difficult pregnancy, pressure to live up to new contract, etc)

at age 31, i think/hope that maybe his early season play is not what we'll see from here on in. also, in his defense, him and parise both played in some tough luck early on (hitting posts/crossbars, victim of great saves on what looked to be sure goals, etc)

he works hard, has GREAT hockey sense and the bottom line is we freaking need the guy to bounce back next season!

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Quite honestly there is enough things that went completely off the rails this year that there really is not much a reason to speculate on what exactly did happen with his game specifically. Ultimately, the Isles need to continue to play him in a way that improves his and the collective team's success. This improves the team and his value.

Ultimately, I still believe that Palmieri (given time with Barzal and first unit PP time) can be a 20-25 goal scorer next year. Followed by increasingly diminished returns until his contract ends (20G then 15G). But hopefully by then Wahlstom is moving up the lineup as Palmieri is moving down.

As for him being traded, he has a NTC until the end of next year. The only possible trade that I could see for him THIS deadline and/or offseason is to Boston.

I believe Boston has had past interest in him. I also vaguely recall hearing he has ties to Boston (Wife perhaps?). They also have players like Craig Smith and John Moore (currently their Thomas Hickey) who would offset the cap hit. Isles would be on the hook for those two players for another year.

Yeah not my intent, I don't want to speculate. I listen to Spittin Chiclets regularly and it gave me an appreciation of learning players in the past, they'll give details of what went wrong. Sometimes it's they got the contract, sometimes it's injuries and not being able to recover and sometimes it's mental , front office, whatever.

Obviously we know publicly he had a kid and the direct stat line since and before is clear.

But the trade part came from Twitter, I think Nichols who I just bashed in another thread. Just serving some talking points.

My bottom line is we signed him, I like his game, I hope he has a great second half to piggyback on for the next season.

Need something positive to talk about!

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee

Lou was GM of the Ducks at some point? Anaheim drafted Palmieri

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
So this guy is decent, yeah?
Having been through it myself, I suspect maybe his wife had a difficult pregnancy and his mind wasn't 100 percent right. Since his baby was born, he has looked like playoff Kyle

He also (like parise) played in tough luck first 15-20 games. Crossbars, posts, rolling pucks, goalie making great saves, etc

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Having been through it myself, I suspect maybe his wife had a difficult pregnancy and his mind wasn't 100 percent right. Since his baby was born, he has looked like playoff Kyle

He also (like parise) played in tough luck first 15-20 games. Crossbars, posts, rolling pucks, goalie making great saves, etc
Almost like everything was working well for us the past two years, that it eventually had to even out the playing field. I think with a full offseason to get rested and get right, this team will be able to bounce back next season.

Reactions: TMI

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Almost like everything was working well for us the past two years, that it eventually had to even out the playing field. I think with a full offseason to get rested and get right, this team will be able to bounce back next season.
don't disagree although some changes do have to occur i feel. beauvillier needs to produce or be replaced with expected production, teams needs to improve speed a bit and get a little younger, palmieri is key in that he needs to be what he was signed to be and barzal needs to play a little more north/south system hockey and freewheel a little less. i'd love to see wally become at least neutral where his deficiencies lie therefore earning more ice time thus allowing to become the offensive force he has the potential to be.

this has been an asterisk season for this group for many reasons and i do not feel the whole thing needs to be blown up. i am in the "retool" camp. i think all things being equal next season, with the necessary tweaks, we will be back to being playoff competitive

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
He was always playing well, but his shooting percentage was like 1% until halfway into the season. It’s now up to 11% - believe his career average is 12% so he’s basically regresses to the mean at this point.

He’s now on pace for a little under 20 goals and a little under 40 points, so if you apply the “weird season/ COVID stuff/ baby stuff” argument it’s pretty easy to argue away the slight downtick in his production this year. Dude will be fine

Reactions: JKP

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
He was always playing well, but his shooting percentage was like 1% until halfway into the season. It’s now up to 11% - believe his career average is 12% so he’s basically regresses to the mean at this point.

He’s now on pace for a little under 20 goals and a little under 40 points, so if you apply the “weird season/ COVID stuff/ baby stuff” argument it’s pretty easy to argue away the slight downtick in his production this year. Dude will be fine

In addition to that, once again the Islanders broadcast mentioned he was playing injured. Josh Bailey’s post game interview from earlier in the week the other time.

While he’s scoring now, what stands out even more is the substantial improvement in his skating. Leads me to believe that injury played a significant role in his season.

Last edited:
Reactions: impaaaaaact

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
38 points in 92 regular season games since joining the Islanders.

That's 34 point pace over 82 games.

At some point the coaching staff is going to have to face the music and bury Palmieri on the fourth line or in the press box along with the other passengers.

Lee-Nelson-Barzal
Parise-Pageau-Wahlstrom
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Beauvillier-Bailey-Palmieri

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Played his best hockey with Pageau in the playoffs until Pageau hurt his wrist in the 3rd rd. Since then, his and Pageau's games have dropped off. If The Isles are to make the playoffs this season. Both need to recapture their form from the first 2 rds of those playoffs.

• Love
Reactions: Mike C

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Played his best hockey with Pageau in the playoffs until Pageau hurt his wrist in the 3rd rd. Since then, his and Pageau's games have dropped off. If The Isles are to make the playoffs this season. Both need to recapture their form from the first 2 rds of those playoffs.
Pageau's wrist will never be the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad