Player Discussion Kyle Okposo - Farewell Okie

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
If his chiropractor stopped his seizures that should be a medical paper.

On a lighter note, and I know it's not really a laughing matter, but for a moment when he said he was trying to fix Buffalo during his manic episode I got this image of him in his living room: maps strewn everywhere, a brief history of the Erie Canal taped to the wall.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Loved listening to the interview. Okposo has been a favorite of mine for a while now. Great leader, deserves the C. I'll always be concerned about his mental health and a part of me wants him to walk away now while he can. I've seen some guys who had that type of injury deteriorate until there was nothing left of their former self, and some to the point where their brain functions could no longer run their bodies.

But I'm happy he's health and it seems like he's got a great grip on his health. No better person to lead the players right now.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
Saw something on FB that with Chara retiring, there are no active players who have lost to Toronto in the playoffs and it got me thinking. Are there any active players who have lost to Buffalo in the playoffs.

Kyle Okposo's Islanders lost to the Sabres in the first round. He was 19.

KO needs to keep playing to save us from the memes!

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Saw something on FB that with Chara retiring, there are no active players who have lost to Toronto in the playoffs and it got me thinking. Are there any active players who have lost to Buffalo in the playoffs.

Kyle Okposo's Islanders lost to the Sabres in the first round. He was 19.

KO needs to keep playing to save us from the memes!
Okposo wasn't with the Islanders in 06-07. He played 9 games in 07-08 and then his full rookie year in 08-09.

Jason Spezza and Jeff Carter may be the last ones that lost to Buffalo in the playoffs actually.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Okposo wasn't with the Islanders in 06-07. He played 9 games in 07-08 and then his full rookie year in 08-09.

Jason Spezza and Jeff Carter may be the last ones that lost to Buffalo in the playoffs actually.

Even adding in current non-NHLers there are very few. Carter's probably the only active one?

Active non-NHLers you can add Jagr and former Sabre Andrej Meszaros, maybe a few more.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I absolutely agree with others who say that, if he wants to come back next season, he is on the team. With the understanding that it would be his final season and his minutes will go down quite a bit.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Again, love him but hope he retires now with his mental health issues. TBI issues can deteriorate just like any other injury. I’ve watched guys with his issues spiral downward until their brain could no longer run their body, and they passed. Nothing to mess with.

Hang them up Kyle. You’ve got nothing to prove and a beautiful family. Put a suit on and go work upstairs in the front office.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
SmartSelect_20230415_120619_Instagram.jpg

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Hoppe with some quotes from others on the team:

“Every guy in the room will say he’s obviously the rock of our team, he’s the leader,” Sabres center Casey Mittelstadt said. “I think for me personally, he’s just always there for you. There’s nothing more you can really ask for. He’s always got your back, whatever you need, you can always call Okie. He’s a pretty special guy.”

Sabres winger Jeff Skinner said: “It’s hard to overstate how much he means to the group. … I can’t think of a better role model for these young guys in how he goes about his business and how he treats everyone else.”

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Obviously this isn't something you usually do with your captain, but I wonder if he were to come back if the best thing for everyone might be managing not just his minutes but his games played. He gets to stay with the team, keep being captain, and have less grind on his body if he's only playing say 50% of games. The team gets a rotational spot open to integrate kids, gets to keep their leader, and ideally he stays fresher deeper into the season by not playing as much.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Obviously this isn't something you usually do with your captain, but I wonder if he were to come back if the best thing for everyone might be managing not just his minutes but his games played. He gets to stay with the team, keep being captain, and have less grind on his body if he's only playing say 50% of games. The team gets a rotational spot open to integrate kids, gets to keep their leader, and ideally he stays fresher deeper into the season by not playing as much.
I don't see it. I think if he is back he is back for the full season. Okposo doesn't seem like someone who would play 50% of the games.

I don't mind if he stays or the Sabres move on. Unless Adams brings in 4th liners Okposo would sign for under 2m

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Just dont play him on B2Bs would probably be a good alternative.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Okposo is involved with the union's new UNLMT program to help players prepare for life after hockey.

...Buffalo captain Kyle Okposo [is] among the players who have tried UNLMT so far. Okposo has already graduated from Stanford's business leadership program...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad