Player Discussion Kyle Keyser

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
please don`t quote me on this but I seem to recall Dom mentioning he has had a few concussions? Maybe that had a few GM`s a bit hesitant?

If I has one concern with him, it's a concussion.

He missed time with the dreaded upper body injury at the start of last season. Team never confirmed it was a concussion. But I was there and saw the play the knocked him out and it was a massive blow to the head. Later that season, he missed time again with what the team called a concussion. At the WJC, he was slated to start game three but missed the game with an "illness" and never saw the net again. I was told then it was concussion like symptoms from someone I trust.

Isn't he a beauty?

Keyser and his mom.PNG

Reactions: Alicat

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
How did he go undrafted?

Sometimes it's hard to get a read on a goalie at 18. Some guys like Steve Mason and Scott Wedgewood got drafted based on just a handful of games during their draft years. Keyser went undrafted in 2017, but the Bruins signed him as a free agent during the offseason window where you can sign North Americans with remaining draft eligibility. The Kings did this with Martin Jones back in 2008. The Flyers might have done very well with Philippe Myers who was undrafted in 2015 but probably would have gone in the 1st round in 2016 if he hadn't already signed.

As for Keyser, he unfortunately started his OHL career in Flint which had just relocated from Plymouth. Flint went through quite a bit of drama that season which ended with their owner being suspended and several players requesting trades: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/flint-firebirds-owner-suspended-ohl-1.3524218

Keyser was moved to Oshawa for his draft year and played backup behind Jeremy Brodeur. Some times it's hard for scouts to get a ton of viewings on backups. Credit to the Bruins for snatching Keyser up with an ELC rather than letting him go back into the draft.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If I has one concern with him, it's a concussion.

He missed time with the dreaded upper body injury at the start of last season. Team never confirmed it was a concussion. But I was there and saw the play the knocked him out and it was a massive blow to the head. Later that season, he missed time again with what the team called a concussion. At the WJC, he was slated to start game three but missed the game with an "illness" and never saw the net again. I was told then it was concussion like symptoms from someone I trust.

Isn't he a beauty?

View attachment 256753
Thx Dom, thought you had mentioned some concussion concerns previously. Only saw him the one game this preseason and caught only a few minutes of the 2nd game he took part in, guy stops pucks, plain and simple

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad