Player Discussion Kyle Keyser

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
About time someone started a thread for this kid. I'll start it with this:

I don't know where he's going to start the season, but I see a lot of negative talk about him starting in Atlanta of the ECHL if that's where the Bruins want him to start. I don't think starting in the ECHL is a bad thing. A lot of great goalies spent a season in the E before becoming bona fide NHL goaltenders.

But the kid looks legit doesn't he?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I dont have the best eye for goaltenders IMO, but this kid looks legit from the preseason. He kind of plays that 'battler' style that Thomas has, but much more controlled.

Hes definitely the future in net.

Reactions: bbfan419

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
If the ECHL is where he is going to get the most playing time than that is the best place for him. He has been the most impressive prospect of training camp. I’ve been saying for last few years identifying the successor to Rask is vital. It’s starting to look like(in limited showing and it’s extremely early in his career) that answer might be Kyle Keyser.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
How did he go undrafted?

Exactly, it's crazy to think that someone didn't scoop him up in the later rounds. I guess there have been gems in every sport that this happens with. I had a good feeling when I first saw Thomas play and I get the same feeling from him, can't explain it but Cheevers, and Bernie Parent (post Bruins) gave me the feeling that they were world beaters. A certain swagger.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
He's listed as 6'2" but looks so HUGE in the nets ... not to be too on point but he looked like a bear between the pipes.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
How did he go undrafted?
No one can read the present, never mind the future with a goalie. Did anyone talk about how Blaine Lacher or Andrew Raycroft were going to implode after their rookie seasons? I remember Dupont saying Lacher was a jerk, but that's about it.

Conner Hellebuyck was probably the best goalie the Bruins played against in the 2018 season. 2019? Thoroughly mediocre.

I'm not sure you can trust a goalie before they turn UFA age.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
No one can read the present, never mind the future with a goalie. Did anyone talk about how Blaine Lacher or Andrew Raycroft were going to implode after their rookie seasons? I remember Dupont saying Lacher was a jerk, but that's about it.

Conner Hellebuyck was probably the best goalie the Bruins played against in the 2018 season. 2019? Thoroughly mediocre.

I'm not sure you can trust a goalie before they turn UFA age.

Yeah on average goalies take longer to develop and they're more volatile in their progress and form. They're hard to read and predict when young. Clearly whatever Keyser was showcasing a couple of years ago, it wasn't quite enough to give anyone the confidence to draft him. But we saw something worth taking a punt on essentially for free. Good for us. Hopefully it pays off in the long run.

Reactions: BlackFrancis

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
About time someone started a thread for this kid. I'll start it with this:

I don't know where he's going to start the season, but I see a lot of negative talk about him starting in Atlanta of the ECHL if that's where the Bruins want him to start. I don't think starting in the ECHL is a bad thing. A lot of great goalies spent a season in the E before becoming bona fide NHL goaltenders.

We felt it only be fitting that you start the Keyser thread

Reactions: Dom - OHL

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
For anyone interested, some stuff I wrote over the years about Keyser:

It was going to take a miracle to get past top ranked Ottawa in the Conference Finals and Kyle Keyser was the best chance the Generals had to take even one game in this series. And he gave them just that – a chance. The Generals were outshot 163 to 99 in the series and when you are facing 40 shots a night, well, you get the picture.

His ability to steal a game was no more evident then in game 4 of the series against Ottawa. The 67’s outshot Oshawa 44 – 22 but Oshawa held a 1-0 lead going into the third period. The Ottawa barrage came in the third where they fired 19 shots on goal. With 34 seconds remaining and Ottawa on the powerplay and DiPietro on the bench for an extra attacker, Ottawa would tie the game and send it into overtime. But you can’t stop them all. And the 67’s would win the game 20 seconds into overtime.

Kyle Keyser: The Future Has Arrived

The 2017 National Hockey League Draft had some impressive pickings in the goaltending department. The 2018 Draft, not as high end nor as deep. Two goaltenders on my list in 2017 did not get selected. They are Kaden Fulcher of the Hamilton Bulldogs and Kyle Keyser of the Oshawa Generals. In total there were 21 netminders selected in 2017.

Normally, the pair would re-enter the draft and with certainty, would have been selected in 2018.
However, the Detroit Red Wings and the Boston Bruins had plans of their own.

Kaden Fulcher And Kyle Keyser In One Word: Impressive

Reactions: PlayMakers

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

Yes, he does. You've been a strong advocate of Keyser for some time now, and those of us who frequent the boards have been well aware of it.

I hope that Keyser continues his upward trajectory and becomes, ideally, Rask's successor.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Here’s how the Bruins’ 2019-20 roster is shaping up - The Boston Globe

Should get a longer look

■ Kyle Keyser: Sometimes too athletic for his own good, but a dynamic prospect. Has looked sharp in nearly three full periods of preseason action (37 of 38 shots). Only goal allowed came in OT Saturday, on an unlucky bounce. Exploded into Connor Murphy one-timer from the high slot, but puck ricocheted off Patrick Kane for an easy tap-in. Cassidy remains impressed with Keyser, who is making a case to start for Providence. “He battles,” Cassidy said, noting his work against ‘A’ squads at New Jersey and Chicago. “This was a pretty good lineup. The shots he seemed to face in the third were power play, overtime, top-end skill. He looks like he’s going to be a good one.”

Reactions: PlayMakers

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Only got to see him in his first game, seems like all the kid does is stop pucks if your into that kinda thing from your goaltender:laugh:

Guessing he will be very much part of the succession plan moving forward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad