Kyle Dubas Part 3

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
who cares? all that matters is the Cup. build a team to win a Cup. then coach it to win with talent you have. design a system to work with your talent. no sense putting in a system that does not play to your strengths.

what's funny is people say Babcock is not the right type of coach to for these skilled players, yet the team is coached to be an elite offensive team which it is lol

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
what's funny is people say Babcock is not the right type of coach to for these skilled players, yet the team is coached to be an elite offensive team which it is lol
Babs is not for everyone. He is single minded. He works like a dog. He nevers stops. Hardest working coach in NHL. My only issue with him is can he see what he has and adapt his systems to fit his players? Square peg round hole issue here. To me he has to be his own GM. Although Dubie has done a superb job this summer of giving Babs a much better defense so he now needs to adjust his systems to suit the core strengths of his defenders. It will mean a breakout led by a defense rush and centres dropping back into defensive roles. I think it will be much better hockey to watch and we will control the puck much more this season and far fewer icings.

Reactions: weems

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Everyone and everything in the NHL sucks except St Louis.

Yep, years and years of listening to this board wishing for nothing but a scorched earth rebuild.

And after finally having their wish come true, three years later they are complaining because they haven't gotten close enough to a Cup.

Three years after bottoming out and starting fresh, the moronic coach hasn't developed our core of 20 year olds into champions. Off with his head.

Where's Dallas Eakins? He used to be the answer.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yep, years and years of listening to this board wishing for nothing but a scorched earth rebuild.

And after finally having their wish come true, three years later they are complaining because they haven't gotten close enough to a Cup.

Three years after bottoming out and starting fresh, the moronic coach hasn't developed our core of 20 year olds into champions. Off with his head.

Ducks new coach is the answer?

:sarcasm:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Dubas has had a near impossible task of signing multiple stars simultaneously, freeing the cap space to do that while keeping our forward depth, and address our right D. He did all of these with 1 big piece left. He's been amazing. Having more term on Matthews deal would have been great but who's to say any GM would have been able to pull that off?
Imagine we were still paying 10 million for marleau and Z, didn't have a competent right D, and weren't able to re-sign kap and johnsson to friendly contracts? Could have been a disaster.

I understand what he is doing, all I said is we gained Barrie(for one year?),Ceci,Kerfoot,Schmaltz we lost Brown,Kadri,Zaitsev,Borgman,Gardiner. Kadri was on a sweetheart deal, Barrie has one year. Does that put us closer to a cup? I'd say to play teams like St Louis,Boston and others in the playoffs we need more. Once we sign Marner, we will be at the cap limit. We need a Kappanen or Johnson for a Ferlund type deal and we may need one more defensive D man.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
these are some of the most rediculous takes I have ever heard of. lol

ya, every Leafs is overpaid and under skilled. Move then all. Lets clear the cap and restart the rebuild.
Where did I say any of that?

What's ridiculous is saying something's ridiculous then making up an argument that never happened. Willy is overpaid and a cancer. Didn't say that about anyone else.

Reactions: ToneDog

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

It’s coached to also have an elite mobile high IQ defense though but they just aren’t smart enough, and don’t move the puck well enough yet.

I don’t rail on Babcock as much as the next guy but I feel like the forwards need to provide more defensive support last couple years. But maybe the personnel just needs to come along further.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

What's ridiculous is saying something's ridiculous then making up an argument that never happened. Willy is overpaid and a cancer. Didn't say that about anyone else.

Yup overpaid while Kevin Hayes is making 7.2 mill x 7 despite scoring 54 points last season and 44 the season prior

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
with all this dubas talk I wonder what are the expectations from Babcock this upcoming season? Is he still going to whine about not having depth, defense, goal tending etc....??? Or is he going to man up and change his thinking?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
with all this dubas talk I wonder what are the expectations from Babcock this upcoming season? Is he still going to whine about not having depth, defense, goal tending etc....??? Or is he going to man up and change his thinking?

TBH Dubas has put the roster in a position where Babcock can't really bitch .. He added depth, adjusted the defense to balance the right and left handedness obsession, got rid of Sparks .. He also got rid of the gud pro's, so maybe Babs will complain about having not enough "gud pro" factor

And with new assistant coaches after the PK and PP underperformed, Babcock is on the hot seat this season to get this team to the next level

Reactions: SAMCRO44

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
TBH Dubas has put the roster in a position where Babcock can't really ***** .. He added depth, adjusted the defense to balance the right and left handedness obsession, got rid of Sparks .. He also got rid of the gud pro's, so maybe Babs will complain about having not enough "gud pro" factor

And with new assistant coaches after the PK and PP underperformed, Babcock is on the hot seat this season to get this team to the next level

I might get flamed for this but I think Leafs will have tough competition even making the playoffs this season.

Tampa
Boston
Sabres
Florida
(may be still time for them to make moves) Montreal

all in the Atlantic division I think are much stronger competition for the Leafs than last season.

Tampa -> pretty much unchanged
Boston -> pretty much unchanged

Sabres-> I think will be much better than last season

Florida-> Hired Q, Bobrovsky, and I expect them to be better this season.

Toronto IMO has just replaced roster players not improved them IMO

Kadri>Kerfoot
Barrie=Gardiner (IMO)
Hainsey/Zaitsev>Ceci (IMO)

Unless Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Kappy, Mango, Rielly all take a huge step forward I think relatively speaking the team might be a bit weaker compared to last season

And if Babcock continues to run his stretch pass system it is going to be another disaster to rely on Freddie all the time

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

You’re happy with the way he coached in the playoffs ?

Reactions: stopclickbait

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto

lol so hes a cancer now too. Says the guy sitting at home with no real accomplishments.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Leafs specialty teams both took a step backwards last year, compared to the previous team Dubas inherited.

Who do you see on the Leafs PK personnel this year?

Not sure changing the coaches is going to impact that as much as the player personnel available to kill penalties.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I think the simple answer that many espouse of throwing Matthews over the boards for an extra 5 minutes would have been easily countered by Cassidy

The overall character of this team is lacking, if you want to put that on Babcock, go ahead.

I tend to believe it will improve with maturity and experience. But that doesn't provide a simple target to put the blame on, and it seems that a lot of posters need that simple thing to point to.

And just for the record, there are a few things that I don't like about Babcock's coaching, so there is no need to assume that I believe he is above criticism

Reactions: rumman

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

He coached the team to a 3-2 lead ... The Leafs star players had "2" games to step up and bury the Bruins, Matthews was getting owned by the Bruins 2nd line ... the young ELC Leafs don't know how to win a hard series yet, stop blaming the coach already

Reactions: rumman and egd27

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Leafs specialty teams both took a step backwards last year, compared to the previous team Dubas inherited.

Who do you see on the Leafs PK personnel this year?

Not sure changing the coaches is going to impact that as much as the player personnel available to kill penalties.

PP is pretty much set

PK
from last season we have:
Forwards: Kapanen, Marner, *Hyman (when he becomes available), Spezza/Kerfoot ?, Moore ?

Defense: Rielly, Muzzin, Ceci ?, Barrie ?

PK special team would require serious work for sure

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
PP is pretty much set

PK
from last season we have:
Forwards: Kapanen, Marner, *Hyman (when he becomes available), Spezza/Kerfoot ?, Moore ?

Defense: Rielly, Muzzin, Ceci ?, Barrie ?

PK special team would require serious work for sure

Last year Zaitsev and Hainsey @ 2.5 SH minutes/g and Hyman (injured) and Brown played the most SH TOI/g

Rielly only averaged 1.05 and even Marincin was on for more 1:26 SH TOI/g..

Barrie averaged .04 sec/g SH time much like Gardiner so that is a wash and neither should not be on the PK.

Kerfoot averaged .04sec TOI/g similar to Barrie and not even in Avs top 20 either of them when it comes to SH TOI.

Spezza .02/secs game in Dallas .

Par Lindholm last year for TO averaged 1.39 minutes the 3rd most forward SH TOI/g behind Hyman and Brown.

Leafs PK was its downfall last year leading to the teams 18 ranked in goals against and it killed the Leafs in the playoffs. We have even less PK personnel this year than last.

Link to TOI/g : http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...ter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=shTimeOnIcePerGame

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Last year Zaitsev and Hainsey @ 2.5 SH minutes/g and Hyman (injured) and Brown played the most SH TOI/g

Barrie averaged .04 sec/g SH time much like Gardiner so that is a wash and neither should not be on the PK.

Kerfoot averaged .04sec TOI/g similar to Barrie and not even in Avs top 20 either of them when it comes to SH TOI.

Par Lindholm last year for TO averaged 1.39 minutes the 3rd most forward SH TOI/g behind Hyman and Brown.

Leafs PK was its downfall last year leading to the teams 18 ranked in goals against and it killed the Leafs in the playoffs. We have even less PK personnel this year than last.

Link to TOI/g : http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...ter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=shTimeOnIcePerGame

Yup can’t argue with that Leafs got a lot of work ahead of them in terms of PK for sure.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

This might blow your mind, Mess.....but maybe getting rid of the personnel responsible for our bad PK is how to make the PK better.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
This might blow your mind, Mess.....but maybe getting rid of the personnel responsible for our bad PK is how to make the PK better.

maybe the kid with glasses shouldn't trade a good faceoff PK'er for a #13 guy with 20'ish games left in the season knowing we will be going up against an elite PP in the first round of the playoffs :)

Reactions: rumman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad