TSN: Kyle Dubas has been hired as the Pittsburgh Penguins' President of Hockey Operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Infuriatingly fantastic hire for a franchise and ownership group that really didnt need any more success in the near future

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'm kinda interested in all that happened here. I'm fine with any speculation...but it's interesting to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Leafs seem interested in retaining Dubas
2. Dubas brings up family, how he needs to look at things..if he even wants GM and that he doesn't see himself anywhere else
3. Seems like he wants a sizable raise and other perks
4. Leafs pull back on offers and essentially part ways.
5. Dubas takes on role as president in Pitt.

Now the speculating part.
-Did Dubas go guns firing after Shanny's job?
-Did Shanny shoot first and basically fire him - for coming after his job.
-Was there ownership discussions about Shanny vs Dubas for new president?
-Did Pittsburgh make it clear they wanted Dubas as the president, and he was leveraging that in Toronto.
-Any info on what he's making in Pitt compared to what was offered in Toronto?

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
It seems that the ultimate issue with Dubas and the Leafs likely came down to money, and Dubas was trying to leverage the family "stresses" to justify the proposed pay raise.

The Penguins are likely going to full re-build within the next few seasons so I can't see him building a winner anytime soon. He will be making more money and under a lot less stress and lower expectations so he ultimately wins financially.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
1- He was forced to by fans and ownership.

2- He took a massive discount ( market value was 13 million that was offered by San Jose who was a great team at the time. )

3- him being overpaid is just not true at all.
Lets be honest for a moment and admit that the Sharks being willing to make a worse signing doesn't mean we made a great signing. San Jose is greatly feeling the effects of some of their decisions over that time period at the moment. Heck, one could argue they could see their current problems coming and may have seen JT as the piece to push them over in their last year or two of contention while the Leafs were obviously still young and not going to make that leap quite yet.

Anyway, This is a good signing of a young(by management standards) talent with a lot of experience and potential to grow. It's time for him to prove whether or not his statements about Shanahan pulling the strings were in fact detrimental.

Penguins fans better hope Keefe doesn't hit the market for an HCing position though. Myself and a largish portion of the leads board had more issues with him than Dubas and he was widely seen as Dubas' guy.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
how so...bringing in Dubas, a man who has won absolutely nothing should NOT bring any sort of fear into opposition teams fan bases in my opinion!

Pit has won cups but has an aging core their window is closing. Dubas couldn't do jack shiit with a younger toronto team I doubt it is Dubas that will be the key cog in Pit it will be the players and the team playing better IE not losing to Chicago at the end of the year to remove themselves from the playoffs allowing Florida to claim the 8th seed.

If anything, the laffs will now be a better team without Dubas...I was hoping he would stay in toronto so they would continue to fail every year!
I couldn't agree more. Is there a more overrated executive in hockey than Dubas. He was sold as this prodigy who was going to take the Leafs to the promised land and they ended up being a playoff disappointment year after year after year. Going to Pittsburgh with a very aging core he is in a far worse situation than he was in in Toronto. As a Flyers fan I was hoping Dubas would end up there.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Infuriatingly fantastic hire for a franchise and ownership group that really didnt need any more success in the near future
Fantastic hire based on what exactly? All of the success he had in Toronto being gift wrapped a generational talent in Matthews and two young studs in Marner and Nylander. Oh, and also being gift wrapped Tavares in free agency. There are so many things in life that make no sense and one of them is this narrative that Dubas is a brilliant young hockey mind.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI and BB79

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
C73DD59A-EE26-45C1-A4DC-E97CB4BB0C8D.jpeg

Matt Murray Pittsburgh return incoming

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
With the Penguins on the other side of the hill than the Leafs, heading into a rebuild, it'll be an interesting test to see if Dubas can actually do something worthwhile.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Lets be honest for a moment and admit that the Sharks being willing to make a worse signing doesn't mean we made a great signing. San Jose is greatly feeling the effects of some of their decisions over that time period at the moment. Heck, one could argue they could see their current problems coming and may have seen JT as the piece to push them over in their last year or two of contention while the Leafs were obviously still young and not going to make that leap quite yet.

Anyway, This is a good signing of a young(by management standards) talent with a lot of experience and potential to grow. It's time for him to prove whether or not his statements about Shanahan pulling the strings were in fact detrimental.

Penguins fans better hope Keefe doesn't hit the market for an HCing position though. Myself and a largish portion of the leads board had more issues with him than Dubas and he was widely seen as Dubas' guy.
As a leafs fan I actually really liked both. Maybe it’s time for a shake up and he could be replaced BUT like St Louis he can get the most out of his offence and he his system thrives off of creativity. If he hits the market I’m sure Keefe will go to Pittsburgh and I think he will do well.

Anyways from a leafs fan Dubas is a great add.

Not disagreeing with the bit about the sharks tho. BUT Tavares at 11 mil at the time was good.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
After this signing, I'm wondering if the breaking point in Toronto was Dubas telling Shanny he wants his job as well.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Fantastic hire based on what exactly? All of the success he had in Toronto being gift wrapped a generational talent in Matthews and two young studs in Marner and Nylander. Oh, and also being gift wrapped Tavares in free agency. There are so many things in life that make no sense and one of them is this narrative that Dubas is a brilliant young hockey mind.
He found Bunting, Hyman, Durzi, Knies, Samsonov, Robertson and Campbell who were cheap and huge additions ( Durzi didn’t play ) also Trevor Moore. You got the Kappanen fleecing and Amirov unfortunately got cancer which isn’t dubas’s fault. The only things to argue against him was the Kadri trade, Murray trade, Mrazek Signing and his RFA signings. But you learn from your mistakes and he is YOUNG.

He’s not Yzerman but maybe he will be soon.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Dubas will do a great job in Pittsburg. Although to be honest, that is going to be one of the toughest teams to manage over the next few years. Likely going to get much worse before it gets better. Glad he isn't going to Ottawa.
This..............................couldn't win with young core, and now trying to win, with an old core.....
Strange at best....

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
He found Bunting, Hyman, Durzi, Knies, Samsonov, Robertson and Campbell who were cheap and huge additions ( Durzi didn’t play ) also Trevor Moore. You got the Kappanen fleecing and Amirov unfortunately got cancer which isn’t dubas’s fault. The only things to argue against him was the Kadri trade, Murray trade, Mrazek Signing and his RFA signings. But you learn from your mistakes and he is YOUNG.

He’s not Yzerman but maybe he will be soon.
Might be Yzerman.....come on bro, lol. The rest of your post which had some decent points becomes irrelevant with a comment like that. Either way this is a results based business and the Leafs barely got out of the first round of the playoffs during Dubas's tenure there.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
All your guys who never won cups are coming to Pittsburgh. Is he bringing in Spezza yet? Which UFA will he overpay for? My guess is he signs Adin Hill to a 7 year 10 millon dollar contract

If it is one thing Pens aren't short on it is cup winners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad