Confirmed with Link: Kyle Criscuolo traded to SJ

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
AHL trade at best

Don't know. Criscuolo is a career AHLer but Weatherby is a legit prospect. Not sure why SJ would do this but maybe Grier is just looking to clean house.

His AHL numbers this year are underwhelming and I'm not sure why that would be but he looked pretty good coming out of college. Managed to become a regular with the Sharks in his first pro season and didn't look out of place. His NHL debut was a two point game vs Winnipeg and he scored a very nice PP-goal on his first NHL shot. I also liked him in pretty much all of his other NHL games.

Not the best skater and he has to learn how to use his big body properly but he is good against the puck, does have decent hands and he does win faceoffs as well. He's a project but judging purely by his rookie season I'd be surprised if he's not ultimately good enough to become a bottom six regular in the NHL for a few years at least.

I didn't watch the Barracuda this season and that might be important to provide context here but from the outside this looks like a good trade for Detroit.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Weatherby goes under the AHL veteran game-limit...

...and Criscuolo was over ?
At 30 with almost 200 AHL/NHL games I would assume so.

My question is does Weatherby have the potential to replace both Suter and Erne on the 4th line? He's a big body and a center. That would allow Ras to stay on the wing.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Don't know. Criscuolo is a career AHLer but Weatherby is a legit prospect. Not sure why SJ would do this but maybe Grier is just looking to clean house.

His AHL numbers this year are underwhelming and I'm not sure why that would be but he looked pretty good coming out of college. Managed to become a regular with the Sharks in his first pro season and didn't look out of place. His NHL debut was a two point game vs Winnipeg and he scored a very nice PP-goal on his first NHL shot. I also liked him in pretty much all of his other NHL games.

Not the best skater and he has to learn how to use his big body properly but he is good against the puck, does have decent hands and he does win faceoffs as well. He's a project but judging purely by his rookie season I'd be surprised if he's not ultimately good enough to become a bottom six regular in the NHL for a few years at least.

I didn't watch the Barracuda this season and that might be important to provide context here but from the outside this looks like a good trade for Detroit.

Sorry but Weatherby is not a prospect. He has 6 pts in the AHL this season and just got traded for a career minor leaguer which is what Weatherby likely is.

And I just ordered my DRW Kyle Criscuolo sweater last week.

So you were the other guy.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Weatherby goes under the AHL veteran game-limit...

...and Criscuolo was over ?
Exactly the Griffins were forced to sit/scratch 2 veterans every game, due to the limit.

I think it was originally thought Vrana would be temporary in GR. But it’s looking more long term, so they eased the vet situation here.

Wouldn’t expect they are high on Weathersby or anything. He just doesn’t count as a veteran.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Sorry but Weatherby is not a prospect. He has 6 pts in the AHL this season and just got traded for a career minor leaguer which is what Weatherby likely is.

So you were the other guy.
Did you even read my post?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Exactly the Griffins were forced to sit/scratch 2 veterans every game, due to the limit.

I think it was originally thought Vrana would be temporary in GR. But it’s looking more long term, so they eased the vet situation here.

Wouldn’t expect they are high on Weathersby or anything. He just doesn’t count as a veteran.

This is probably it. The inclusion of a 2nd warm body might also be insurance for GR in case Yzerman holds a firesale before the deadline.

They could also be prepping for more guys that count as vets ending up in GR as well.

Another trade with the Barracuda

Homie's got 42PM in only 5 games this season. 482 in 137 career AHL games. I'm intrigued.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Did you even read my post?

Of course I did, which is why I responded the way I did. He isn't just underperforming, he has largely lowish numbers even in his lone NHL run, nothing to write home about, and if San Jose is trading him for an AHL player, that means both teams view these guys as AHL and really nothing more. Only chance he has is injuries really.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Of course I did, which is why I responded the way I did. He isn't just underperforming, he has largely lowish numbers even in his lone NHL run, nothing to write home about, and if San Jose is trading him for an AHL player, that means both teams view these guys as AHL and really nothing more. Only chance he has is injuries really.
You essentially rephrased some of my arguments and just to come up with a completely different conclusion.

So by your logic the Sharks should have traded that Timo Meier to the Redwings for Ben Street? At that time Meier had "lowish numbers" (6 points) in his lone NHL run. "Nothing to write home about".:help:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You essentially rephrased some of my arguments and just to come up with a completely different conclusion.

So by your logic the Sharks should have traded that Timo Meier to the Redwings for Ben Street? At that time Meier had "lowish numbers" (6 points) in his lone NHL run. "Nothing to write home about".:help:

What?

Timo Meier was a prospect with lots of value, Weatherby is a 24 year old guy with bad AHL stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad