Confirmed with Link: Kyle Brodziak (2 years @ $950k)

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I like the deal. He was awesome on the PK for us. Its good to see he and his partner Upshall back. He can play up the lineup if injuries strike. The only down side is our bottom 6 is rather full. Our top 6 has holes. I fear our bottom 6 guys will leak up into the top 6 on a regular basis if we can't make another move to fill it out. It also eats another roster spot and doesn't leave us many spaces to add FA or trade targets.

Schwartz - Steen - Tarasenko
Fabbri - Stastny - xxxxxx
Berglund - Lehtera - Sobotka
Upshall - Brodziak - Jaskin
Rattie - Reaves

So we are full except one forward which will probably be Backes/Brouwer. That means we will have the exact same team as last year with with Sobotka replacing Brouwer/Backes and Nilsson replacing Elliott, possibly losing Shattenkirk. Not exactly awe-inspiring. We fell short last year, and we head into this year getting worse.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
Great signing Army. Surprised he was able to get Uppy and Brody both for good, cheap, team friendly contracts.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I like the deal. He was awesome on the PK for us. Its good to see he and his partner Upshall back. He can play up the lineup if injuries strike. The only down side is our bottom 6 is rather full. Our top 6 has holes. I fear our bottom 6 guys will leak up into the top 6 on a regular basis if we can't make another move to fill it out. It also eats another roster spot and doesn't leave us many spaces to add FA or trade targets.

Schwartz - Steen - Tarasenko
Fabbri - Stastny - xxxxxx
Berglund - Lehtera - Sobotka
Upshall - Brodziak - Jaskin
Rattie - Reaves

So we are full except one forward which will probably be Backes/Brouwer. That means we will have the exact same team as last year with with Sobotka replacing Brouwer/Backes and Nilsson replacing Elliott, possibly losing Shattenkirk. Not exactly awe-inspiring. We fell short last year, and we head into this year getting worse.
Fairly decent except I think we end up trading Shattenkirk for Eberle, dumping Lehtera and resigning Backes.
Also, for the goalie issue, I hope we target Chad Johnson.

We won't be as good and won't repeat our WCF run.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Can't say anything bad about this. The fourth line was a great shutdown line for us all year and now we have solidified it again for this coming year. Couple that with low wage contracts under 1 mil allowing us to make moves for some UFA playmakers, and it's a win win call.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Great sign. Jesus Upshall 900k and now Brodziak 950k and they are gem together. Brodziak become last year my one of favourite player of Blues same goes with Upshall. Never give up. Great PK duo.

Now add Sobotka team and I'm ****ing love in it. There is hope?

SepyLKf.gif

OT: interesting to see what Ott is going to do, will he take 1-way deal and cheap ~900k?

Its a little too soon for the Mexico gifs around here. But my mom's native Chile won Copa America, so all is good!

Since I purchased a Brodziak jersey for a friend, I'm glad to see him back with the team for a couple years. The gift will make more sense now.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
The universal praise for the deal says it all. Brodziak is what you want out of a 4C. He knows his role, and he's very cheap. Excellent signing.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
One thing that resonates to me with this signing is Brodz opinion of Yeo. If there was any doubts he left the Wild for a change of scenery is debunked and shows his trust in Yeo. Excellent signing.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
Great news!

Though I am curious why the two year contract? In any normal year I wouldn't question it at all. Brodziak is great in his role on this team and I'm happy to have him back. However, the expansion draft is looming. I think the probability of Brodziak being selected is low, as I'm sure the Blues will have better unprotected options to choose from, but the Blues(and Brodziak) could have avoided that risk altogether if they had just signed a 1 year contract.

Edit: I'm guessing this is a hedge for the games played requirement. In case Rattie, Jaskin, Reaves, Paajarvi, etc. don't meet the requirements or the Blues decide to protect or trade/waive one or more of the aforementioned players.

Player Exposure Requirements
* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

Last edited:

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Fairly decent except I think we end up trading Shattenkirk for Eberle, dumping Lehtera and resigning Backes.
Also, for the goalie issue, I hope we target Chad Johnson.

We won't be as good and won't repeat our WCF run.
Oh please no! Oh please no! No! No, no, no, no NO!

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I absolutely LOVE this deal. It might mean that Sobotka is either not coming back or will be moved in a trade, but either way I think Brodziak did a great job as our #4C last year, and locking him up for two years at under $1M is fantastic.

think army wants sobotka to replace brouwer.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
When has Sobotka ever shown the ability to score goals like that. I don't see them as playing remotely the same game.

Yea, I was going to say you can't find two different players. Brouwer's strengths are size, decent shot and vocal leadership. Sobotka is a quiet little guy with a crappy shot who's strengths are every thing else.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
How so??we are talking about our fourth line currently. Our depth guys do their job and more importantly are at great money.

I like our defense and depth guys. Signing Upshall, Jaskin, Brodiak and (hopefully soon) getting Sobotka in tow officially are all great moves and gives us a deep lineup, as usual.

That top six is underwhelming. If we go into the season with Steen and Stastny (or worse, Lehtera) as our top centers, I doubt we go far in the playoffs (should do well in the regular season as usual though).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad