Confirmed with Link: Kyle Beach Signed to a One Year Deal

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
That doesn't really prove much. Pirri is obviously no Pavel Datsyuk, but to say he doesn't play defense is a pretty big exaggeration.

From Hockey's Future:

"Pirri's puckhandling and playmaking skills are by far his strongest attributes. His decision-making and feel for the offensive game continues to improve at the professional level and has helped him develop into an offensive leader at the AHL level. He is adept at finding the soft spots in the offensive zone and possesses a hard shot. Though his defensive game is a work in progress, Pirri is not quite a liability and has added enough strength to compete against larger forwards. A potential top six center, his main hurdle will be adjusting to the speed and tightened space at the NHL level."

People will see soon enough. I'm not relying on a scouting report.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
As I've said before his back checking is fine, he knows how to fill lanes properly he just struggles to in front of his own net and along the boards.

He also gets very passive/lazy at times along the boards and in the slots in his own end. (Wouldn't surprise me to see him get benched in game cuz of it) Back checking is good like you said. He's also underrated strength wise imo. Not the same skinny kid when he was drafted. Worked out with Bollig a lot during the season last year and some this year to add weight/muscle. Can't wait to see him showcase his skills.

MagicSlap*

He also gets very passive/lazy at times along the boards and in the slots in his own end. (Wouldn't surprise me to see him get benched in game cuz of it) Back checking is good like you said. He's also underrated strength wise imo. Not the same skinny kid when he was drafted. Worked out with Bollig a lot during the season last year and some this year to add weight/muscle. Can't wait to see him showcase his skills.

Right, so exactly what I said...

But it's good to know that the people who actually watch the games see the same thing. He will be just fine defensively on the Hawks and in their system.

RomersWorld*

I think Beach will be an NHLer, but will always be a disappointment.

I think Beach becoming an NHL would be a great surprise judging by most the posts in this thread.

If you expect him to be a top 6 power forward you will likely be disappointed. If you are judging him based on his draft position and supposed potential at the time, yes he will likely be a disappointment.

But expectations and "potential" change from year to year. In one year Nick Ebert went from an expected top 5, with top 2 potential. The next year he was drafted in the last round with the last pick. Expectations and realistic potential change from year to year. It happens to every player as they get older and as they get scouted more and more. Ludvig Rensfeldt was drafted 35th overall with top 6 potential and 2 years later Stan didn't even sign him to a contract.

You can't keep the same expectations for players 5 years after their draft. It changes. If you would've asked Erik Karlsson's top potential 3 years ago it would be less than the player he already is as a 22 year old. You are setting yourself up to be disappointed if you expect a 30 goal power forward.

However, that doesn't make him useless like some like to spout off about. Stan didn't sign #35 overall Ludvig Rensfeldt just 2 years after he was drafted. Stan traded 2009 1st rounder Phillippe Paradis. Stan traded 4th overall pick Cam Barker away(granted for a great return). Obviously Stan or someone else high up thinks Beach can be an NHLer contributor or he would've been moved(like Skille) or unsigned. Some people here who don't watch any games think he will never be an NHL talent but ill side with Stan and their scouting/management team. He wouldn't have kept him if he thought otherwise.

I'll be disappointed if Beach never becomes a full time NHL regular. BWC will be disappointed if he does become a full time NHLer. Everyone has their own opinions and expectations and at the moment I don't think they are very high as a whole.

So I agree that he is likely a disappointment relative to his draft position but many of us have moved past that draft 5 years ago and have more realistic expectations which may or may not end up in disappointment.

SLarmer28*

Simple reality is Kyle Beach is a terrible hockey player :nod: Who also spends too much time on ice just trying to goon it up against smaller defenders and commits many stupid penalties
Interesting .....

Note when the opportunity arose, Dan Carcillo was traded to the Los Angeles Kings. Stupid penalties maybe the reason why Kyle Beach has never played a regular season game with the Chicago Blackhawks. My guess is Coach Q does not tolerate undisciplined hockey players.

Elvis P

WNBA fan since 1997
Dec 10, 2007
The best ribs are cooked outside
Interesting .....Note when the opportunity arose, Dan Carcillo was traded to the Los Angeles Kings. Stupid penalties maybe the reason why Kyle Beach has never played a regular season game with the Chicago Blackhawks. My guess is Coach Q does not tolerate undisciplined hockey players.
Dan Carcillo had less than 100 pims in 2 seasons here. He was not undisciplined here. GMs make trades, not coaches, and he was traded, because it was in the best interest of the team.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Dan Carcillo had less than 100 pims in 2 seasons here. He was not undisciplined here. GMs make trades, not coaches, and he was traded, because it was in the best interest of the team.

he also played 51 games in 2 seasons here.

... and in his first season w/ the hawks put up 82 pim in 28 games...and picked up a 7 game suspension for a stupid and dangerous hit.

i don't think this is the reason he got traded...but with that said this isn't a guy who was distinguished for intelligent play and i'm not sad to see him gone.

CS85

Tell 'em, Mean Gene!
Jun 27, 2011
Champaign, IL
www.bearsfansonline.com
I don't see what the problem is. It's a 1 year deal for a guy who has this final season to prove he can do ANYTHING at the pro level. This is a rare year for young guys who've been stewing to get a legit shot at the roster. If Beach can't do it now, he won't ever do it. At least not here.

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011
I think Beach becoming an NHL would be a great surprise judging by most the posts in this thread.

If you expect him to be a top 6 power forward you will likely be disappointed. If you are judging him based on his draft position and supposed potential at the time, yes he will likely be a disappointment.

But expectations and "potential" change from year to year.
In one year Nick Ebert went from an expected top 5, with top 2 potential. The next year he was drafted in the last round with the last pick. Expectations and realistic potential change from year to year. It happens to every player as they get older and as they get scouted more and more. Ludvig Rensfeldt was drafted 35th overall with top 6 potential and 2 years later Stan didn't even sign him to a contract.

You can't keep the same expectations for players 5 years after their draft. It changes. If you would've asked Erik Karlsson's top potential 3 years ago it would be less than the player he already is as a 22 year old. You are setting yourself up to be disappointed if you expect a 30 goal power forward.

However, that doesn't make him useless like some like to spout off about. Stan didn't sign #35 overall Ludvig Rensfeldt just 2 years after he was drafted. Stan traded 2009 1st rounder Phillippe Paradis. Stan traded 4th overall pick Cam Barker away(granted for a great return). Obviously Stan or someone else high up thinks Beach can be an NHLer contributor or he would've been moved(like Skille) or unsigned. Some people here who don't watch any games think he will never be an NHL talent but ill side with Stan and their scouting/management team. He wouldn't have kept him if he thought otherwise.

I'll be disappointed if Beach never becomes a full time NHL regular. BWC will be disappointed if he does become a full time NHLer. Everyone has their own opinions and expectations and at the moment I don't think they are very high as a whole.

So I agree that he is likely a disappointment relative to his draft position but many of us have moved past that draft 5 years ago and have more realistic expectations which may or may not end up in disappointment.

You don't know...Lucic was taken 50th in 2006...the Hawks took Makarov at 33. Hindsight is what it is.

I haven't seen Beach play outside of a couple of games his first season when I drove up to Rockford. Then perhaps a game or two last year on tv. Back then I said he was a floater who didn't get in the corners to dig out a puck or back-check. He missed most of his second year and from what some have said he has progressed in his game last year. I believe he was put on the third line to be more of a checking forward and work on the defensive side of his game..

Again...he may not live up to his draft position..but if he were to be an Ethan Moreau type...chip in 15 goals being a checking forward and a pest I think most would be pleased.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It was a discussion about his ES scoring. It was irrelevant to the discussion.. and it doesn't "ignore" other parts of his game, his point had nothing to do with his overall game.

That's kind of the point. His linemates really didn't hold him back. He still put up as many (or more) ES goals than Pirri, J.Hayes, Morin, Smith, etc.

I'm not positive in a lot of things about Ted Dent.

No it wasn't, it was a discussion about his disappointing season. (as in his overall game)

16G is not enough for a 22/23 year old former high 1st round pick. You can ignore his draft status if you want, but I won't. He was drafted to be a top NHL talent, and has disappointed. I'm not sure how you don't see that side of the argument.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
When Hayes was playing for Hawks, what was disappointing to me was in the way he was utilized. As is often the case with Q, he was not allowed to play to his strengths (soft hands and good size). With the way the PP struggled it seemed a no-brainer to have him park his large body in the slot and look for garbage goals. Instead playing limited minutes in a defensive role, with no PP time, it was only a matter of time before he would be sent back down to the AHL. I didn’t see him much in RFD so can’t comment on his game there, other than to say the team looked to play with no direction when I did take in games during the lockout. As I’ve said in other threads, I just hope Q gives all these prospects knocking at the door, an equal chance to make the club. Somehow I doubt that will happen.
Putting jayes infront of the net looking for garbage goals isn't playing him to his strenghts. He isn't that type of player

My bad, I forgot ES G's are the be all end all of a hockey player. Who cares about defense or setting up goals.
Beachs D wasn't bad. He played a solid defensiv and physical game while putting the puck in the net. Not sure what is aruged against this or wrong with it.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Putting jayes infront of the net looking for garbage goals isn't playing him to his strenghts. He isn't that type of player

Beachs D wasn't bad. He played a solid defensiv and physical game while putting the puck in the net. Not sure what is aruged against this or wrong with it.
Not bad for the AHL level maybe. Not to mention all the Pejorative Slured penalties he takes. That isn't a recipe for success with any NHL coach, not just Q.

I like Beach, I think he makes it eventually, but he needs to work on a few things first.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
He doesn't take this many stuipd penalties. He improved his overall game since his return. Much like pirri since the lockout was over. Watched some hog games at the end of the season even after the lockout and those two along with stanton and clendenig were easily the most improved players.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

I agree that playing garbage man doesn’t seem to be Jayes style, nor does physical hockey necessarily, despite his large frame, but I also suspect he hasn’t been asked to play that role by Q. That is what Hawks need, and that is the only way he finds a home in Chicago, IMO.

As with many young players trying to make the jump, they need to rediscover their game at the NHL level. They are no longer able to dominate like they have done most of their hockey life before now.

A player with his size who doesn’t like to play the physical game, needs to find a niche to be able to play for the Hawks, and that will likely mean going out of his comfort zone and doing what it takes to stick around. If he doesn’t use his natural attributes of soft hands/large body to his advantage then he doesn’t make the NHL. Simple as that.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
glad to have Beach back, no risk, no harm...not sure why anyone is *****ing about this.

he brings toughness and grit to the table and can score some goals. a spot is open on this team for him, it really is up to him if he is finally willing to step up and take it.

massivegoonery

Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
With all of the Bickell comparisons, I don't think many people really understand how gigantic Bryan Bickell is. Beach looks like Theo Fleury next to him.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007

Isn't that what he did in Rockford and how he scored all of his goals?

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I agree that playing garbage man doesn’t seem to be Jayes style, nor does physical hockey necessarily, despite his large frame, but I also suspect he hasn’t been asked to play that role by Q. That is what Hawks need, and that is the only way he finds a home in Chicago, IMO.

As with many young players trying to make the jump, they need to rediscover their game at the NHL level. They are no longer able to dominate like they have done most of their hockey life before now.

A player with his size who doesn’t like to play the physical game, needs to find a niche to be able to play for the Hawks, and that will likely mean going out of his comfort zone and doing what it takes to stick around. If he doesn’t use his natural attributes of soft hands/large body to his advantage then he doesn’t make the NHL. Simple as that.
agreed and nothing to argue about

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad