Confirmed with Link: Kyle Beach Signed to a One Year Deal

moose vasko

Mar 3, 2011
Seriously, of the guys under contract maybe David Gilbert and Bryon Froese are below him, but that would have to about it.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
If this guy wasn't a first-round pick, he would not still be here. One more year, eh? I hope it's a make-or-break year in Stan's eyes. He'll most likely break. Total bust.

The Fuhr*

Bickell (AHL)
21Yrs old - 42GP 6G 60PIM
22Yrs old - 65GP 16G 58PIM

Beach (AHL)
21Yrs old - 71GP 16G 163PIM
22Yrs old - 66GP 16G 204PIM

He was one of Rockfords even strength goal leaders... if he got PP ice time he would have scored 20+... he will make the Hawks this season... Carcillo being dealt opened a spot for him.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Shawn Lalonde's still around, so there goes that theory.

Beach is still around because, despite not looking like the top-line power-forward the Hawks drafted in 2008, he still has a chance to be an NHL player in a 4th line, agitating role.. and lets not kid ourselves, Beach isn't without talent. He's got an outstanding shot and he can still find soft areas around the net.

He draws more penalties than he takes in Rockford and he has enough talent to piss guys off because of it.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Bickell (AHL)

Beach (AHL)

He was one of Rockfords even strength goal leaders... if he got PP ice time he would have scored 20+... he will make the Hawks this season... Carcillo being dealt opened a spot for him.

That's one way to look at it, if he was a 5th rounder most posters would still consider him a big asset to have in the system.

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011
Shawn Lalonde's still around, so there goes that theory.

Beach is still around because, despite not looking like the top-line power-forward the Hawks drafted in 2008, he still has a chance to be an NHL player in a 4th line, agitating role.. and lets not kid ourselves, Beach isn't without talent. He's got an outstanding shot and he can still find soft areas around the net.

He draws more penalties than he takes in Rockford and he has enough talent to piss guys off because of it.

I agree with this and what great below above said. I hope he works hard this summer and earns a spot. I just don't think he is the bust others think he is.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
1 year is kind of strange, makes me think this is his year to make or break his future. If he has another disappointing season, I imagine the Hawks will cut him loose. If he plays very well, they probably give him a shot with the big club.

LandofLincoln*

Bickell (AHL)

Beach (AHL)

Actually, these are decent numbers for a guy not playing in the top six. When you add no PP time and look at those numbers they are stable and what you hope to get from a bottom six player.

I'm glad Beach was rewarded with another year he deserved it. He also has earned a look as a bottom six grinder provided he can cut the PIM's in half.

Some players deserve second chances and because he was a high pick I think he has gotten that. Now having said that if we have given him many chances we may as well go all in and give him two weeks of play on the third line somewhere in mid to late December.

Beach deserves to play in Chicago this season unless he just shows up at training camp 20lbs overweight. I'm not saying a roster spot on the Blackhawks opening lineup. I'm glad Stan seems to be lining up things for potentially four prospects.

I'm cool with three rookies sticking and a continual pipeline of rookies interchangarably used throughout the season. I'm hoping Pirri, Morin, & Smith to be locks if they prove they can handle the big show.

I would like to see the following guys to get around 6 games if they earn it. Raanta, Stanton, Clendening, Hayes & Beach.

Other guys that deserve a coffee cup call up. Danault, McNeill, LeBlanc, maybe Ross & Broadhurst.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
1 year is kind of strange, makes me think this is his year to make or break his future. If he has another disappointing season, I imagine the Hawks will cut him loose. If he plays very well, they probably give him a shot with the big club.

how was last year disappointing? He scored enough for the role and while watching RFD games, it was good to see that his overall game is more well rounded. He isn't lazy and attitude isn't a problem anymore.

He won't become that 1st Line LW but still could end up as a useful player. Would be stupid to give him away for free

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I'm content with a one year contract. He won't be in the way of anything and he might take a step forward.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Bickell (AHL)

Beach (AHL)

Great comparison. They might as well get a look at him. Not every player develops at the same speed.

That's one way to look at it, if he was a 5th rounder most posters would still consider him a big asset to have in the system.

Exactly but who cares. As long as he can contribute. He was drafted too high but it doesn't mean he can't find a spot on the team. One concern is the PIM and putting the team at a disadvantage.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Beach wasn't drafted too high, he just hasn't lived up to his draft status. Every scout in the league that year had him as a top-20 prospect.. some even as high as the top-5. He was deserving of his selection at the time, which is all that matters.

Bickell is a guy I've liked to compare him to for a long time, in terms of perception. Just because a kid, especially a big guy like Beach, doesn't light the AHL on fire doesn't mean he can't be a solid contributor to an NHL team. Yes, he'd need to limit the diving. Yes, he'd need to bring it on a more consistent basis, but he's capable of doing that IMO. The only way we'll find out is if he's ever given a shot.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Great comparison. They might as well get a look at him. Not every player develops at the same speed.

Exactly but who cares. As long as he can contribute. He was drafted too high but it doesn't mean he can't find a spot on the team. One concern is the PIM and putting the team at a disadvantage.

Agreed. The Hawks org has treated him with tough love so far, but, unlike many here, I’m glad they haven’t given up on the guy.

With no “black ace’ invite in the Spring, followed by a recent one year extension, I think Beach has received the message loud and clear. The team is not going to hand him a job. It is up to him to work his tail off to become the player he is capable of being.

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011
..bickell is a comparison... How about Dan Cleary ? He was a bust...drafted high, but in time found his game and is a good player.

Don't give up on Beach just yet..he will be a good player.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
how was last year disappointing? He scored enough for the role and while watching RFD games, it was good to see that his overall game is more well rounded. He isn't lazy and attitude isn't a problem anymore.

He won't become that 1st Line LW but still could end up as a useful player. Would be stupid to give him away for free

How was it disappointing? He barely scored. Sure, he was in a bottom 6 role, but he could of played himself out of the bottom 6, but didn't. It was a disappointing year considering what he was drafted to be.

The Fuhr*

How was it disappointing? He barely scored. Sure, he was in a bottom 6 role, but he could of played himself out of the bottom 6, but didn't. It was a disappointing year considering what he was drafted to be.

Beach had 14ES goals

Morin 15ES goals, Smith 17ES goals. Pirri 14ES goals, Hayes 15ES goals.

He was right in line with those dudes and he did it from the bottom six, playing a gritty game.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
When Hayes was playing for Hawks, what was disappointing to me was in the way he was utilized. As is often the case with Q, he was not allowed to play to his strengths (soft hands and good size). With the way the PP struggled it seemed a no-brainer to have him park his large body in the slot and look for garbage goals. Instead playing limited minutes in a defensive role, with no PP time, it was only a matter of time before he would be sent back down to the AHL. I didn’t see him much in RFD so can’t comment on his game there, other than to say the team looked to play with no direction when I did take in games during the lockout. As I’ve said in other threads, I just hope Q gives all these prospects knocking at the door, an equal chance to make the club. Somehow I doubt that will happen.

Nothingman*

We argue more about a guy who most likely won't make the NHL, or if he does will maybe be a 4th liner, than anyone else (sans Kruger).

HawkinMI

Mar 24, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
I'm not a fan of Beach, but this appears to be his big chance. I think the Hawks noticed him last year and are giving him another chance to prove himself and that he can contribute something to the NHL roster.

He won't ever be the top six guy that he was projected to be, but with Bickell graduating to the top six likely permanently, it definitely wouldn't hurt to have a player with size, sandpaper, and who can still score goals in the bottom six.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad