Proposal: Kuznetsov for Monahan

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Monahan is a bit underrated at this website.

I'll be honest, he fell off a lot less than I thought he had. I thought he was puttering around at like 50 point and meh. He had 82 points just two years ago. I still wouldn't deal Kuzy for him straight up, but Monahan does make it closer than I originally thought.

Reactions: McJedi

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I think this is kind of a lateral move, but i honestly don't think either team would offer the proposed trade, and neither team would accept it

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
The Flames definitely need a change but I'm not sure if a guy who's older, slumping harder and makes significantly more than Monahan, is the way to go.

Reactions: SnipeNCelly

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
The Flames definitely need a change but I'm not sure if a guy who's older, slumping harder and makes significantly more than Monahan, is the way to go.
He has points in his last 8 of 9 or so games. Not sure what defines slump for you. He had a rough start for certain but he's found his way in the new system and is producing again.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Last season and for the early part of this season, Kuznetsov was definitely struggling.

Yet the Caps have won 13 of their last 15 games for 26 of a possible 30 points, and are two points off the NHL lead. Kuznetsov is their 1a/1b center, and he has gone on a scoring tear lately.

Whatever window may have existed for him to be on the trade market, it's fair to say it's slammed closed. I have serious doubts that Monahan would ever have been a comparable. Kuznetsov's past performance in the playoffs is extremely meaningful for Washington, as far as its evaluation of his worth to the team. They see him as nothing less than a guy who can put up 30 pts in a deep playoff run, as he did in 2018 en route to a title.

Presumably, there's a small list of players they'd say could do the same. I suspect they see it as their objective to get him going, and staying there, not swapping him out for another piece.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Monahan is not an upgrade. Kuznetsov is doing great job in Washington and is an important piece on a major playoff contender team. No is an answer.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Kuznetzov had a dominant playoffs in 2018 and played a major role in helping his team win a Cup. I don't see Monahan ever having a playoffs close to that good. Yes, he hasn't been at that level in a while, but I would certainly feel more confident going into a playoffs with Kuznetzov as a top-six centre than with Monahan as one.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
New system. No pre season games. Covid. Catch up. Injury. Still catching up. All 4 of the Caps players caught in that early Covid thing have had a slow start upon returning.

Ovie has bounced back...what a stud

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ovie has bounced back...what a stud

If you watch Ovechkin game to game, season to season there is a clear pattern where he gets rolling after 20 or so games. He is often well off the pace of the goal scoring leaders at that point. My theory is that Ovechkin is so durable that as the wear and tear of 20 games slows down the league's players, it doesnt effect Ov the same way and he comes to the fore. At the same time the early leaders hit slumps.

His strenth and durability also speaks to his ability to keep up a league leading scoring pace year after year as he ages. He is going to slow down at some point but he is already past the stage where the normal elite player would be slowing. When it happens with him is anyone's guess. And then there is this. Ov adjusts his game. If he were to make being a net front player a more primary source of scoring, how many goals would he score doing that? Who is going to move him?

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
The biggest hurdle preventing the Caps from trading Kuzy (or any Russian for that matter) is that OV would not approve.

The Russians on the Caps are good friends and spend a lot of time together both on the road and in their personal life's at home. It would take a massive overpay in my mind in order for the Caps to make a move like this. The team has great chemistry going on, and I just dont see trading one of OV’s best buds for no good reason as something they would consider

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
It would be like a paradise after Chelyabinsk. I understand he was spoiled in Wasington but surely not so badly...

Columbus was paradise compared to whatever ass end of Siberia Panarin came from and he still bolted to New York at first opportunity

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus was paradise compared to whatever ass end of Siberia Panarin came from and he still bolted to New York at first opportunity

Not to rail on Columbus... I just find it crazy that the town Panarin is from is literally a "hole-in the ground!" Since it's a giant quarry.

Reactions: hmc1987

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad