News Article: Kurz: Niemi leading contender for Vezina?

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
The east coast market is a good reason for the lack of Niemi, but the bias shouldn't be as bad as the other awards. There was obvious east coast bias when Skinner won since that's voted by hockey writers who really only follow their local team. The Vezina is voted on by GMs, so hopefully that adds some more unbiased knowledge.
Honestly, I'm just hoping Niemi gets a nomination.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
The nominees are going to be Lundqvist, Rask, and Crawford. Nemo and Bob will get robbed. Book it.

Crawford getting a nom would be an absolute joke. His backup is 16-1.
I dont see Bob getting nominated if the BJs dont make the playoffs. I predict Henrik will win with Nemo and Rask being the runner-ups. Corey Schneider might get his name in there too.

Leading the league in Wins will help Niemi's cause.

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
Many in the east don't see coverage of the west

Crawford getting a nom would be an absolute joke. His backup is 16-1.
I dont see Bob getting nominated if the BJs dont make the playoffs. I predict Henrik will win with Nemo and Rask being the runner-ups. Corey Schneider might get his name in there too.

Leading the league in Wins will help Niemi's cause.

because they are asleep when the highlights are played.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Whether he wins or not, I think its funny all the posters mid year that literally posted HAHAHAHA on the main board when someone mentioned Niemi for Vezina... Looking pretty dumb now.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
It's Kurz so he probably wrote it in the offseason and has just finished editing

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
well this looks a tad promising - the results of TSN's informal Coaches Poll:

Western Conference
Bobrovsky was the runaway leader for the Vezina as top goalie although San Jose's Antti Niemi finished a strong No. 2. One quirk in the voting was that both Chicago goalies - Corey Crawford and Ray Emery got mentions.

TSN contacted NHL head coaches and asked them to pick one winner and one runner-up in each of six award categories. There were only two requirements: Choose only players in their own conference -- those they've actually seen this season -- and do not pick anyone on their own team. A total of 25 coaches -- 13 in the West and 12 in the East -- participated in the survey.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Niemi won't win but being a finalist would be nice. However, don't the GMs vote on the Vezina, not the coaches. The GMs might vote entirely different from the coaches.

true enough. but you must admit that there's a better chance that GM voting tracks coaches voting more than it tracks the voting of the writers. if the TSN poll was based on the opinion of beat writers, Niemi would have no hope in hell at being a finalist, but if he's caught the eye of western conference coaches, there's a better chance that he gets recognition.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Niemi out of him, bobrovsky, rask, lundqvist (the 4 hf favorites for the award), is the leader in wins, shots against, saves, shutouts (tied with bobrovsky).

Bobrovsky leads in goals against average, shutouts.

Rask leads in save %, goals against.

Lundqvist leads in nothing.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Niemi out of him, bobrovsky, rask, lundqvist (the 4 hf favorites for the award), is the leader in wins, shots against, saves, shutouts (tied with bobrovsky).

Bobrovsky leads in goals against average, shutouts.

Rask leads in save %, goals against.

Saves/shots against is just a product of Nemo playing more games.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
There are 3 Vezina finalists.

I would love to see a Shark in Vegas, and since it won't be the whole team hoisting the cup, Niemi has the best shot (unless Wingels for Masterson due to his YCP campaigns) and I want to see him there.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010

Bobrovsky leads in goals against average, shutouts.Rask leads in save %, goals against.

niemi is tied with bobs with 4 shutouts, nimo leads the league in wins. somethings to consider are the jackets are playing all cali teams starting tonight. it is very possible that bobrovsky could get lit up this next few games in ana and la, the sharks should be hungry for revenge. if nthis happens it is very possible that neimi could pass him in gga, come very close in sv% if he continues to play strong, and could end up with quite a few more wins then him. also if this happens they will not make playoffs. if this is the case hard not to give it to niemi

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I think at least 1 finalist will be from the WC. In the West, it's between Bob and Niemi right now unless idiots vote Crawford because he plays for O6 team and they'll be the President's trophy winning team. I guess Schneider could also be in the mix although he has 7 less wins and 12 less starts than Niemi. So, Niemi needs to stay strong and grab a few more wins and stay top5ish in sv. pct and GAA.

I just can't see Niemi winning over Rask or Lundqvist. Rask is the former 1st round pick and heir-apparent to Thomas and people expect big things from him. King Henrik plays for a huge market and obviously a big name. Niemi is an undrafted former zamboni driver who many felt lucked his way into a Cup ring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad