Confirmed with Link: Kurz Leaving Isles Beat

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
He was fine. He wrote detailed and interesting articles on the Athletic covering the team 3-5 nights a week during the season. Was a regular presence on twitter covering the team also.

It's frustrating that the Athletic basically is using the NYI beat job as a stepping stone. Staple took the NYR job and Kurz took the PHI job and both left NYI. The Athletic has completely cut certain beat jobs for teams without big enough followings, so from a job security point of view, I guess I can't blame Staple and Kurz for taking the job to cover teams with larger fanases.

Isles will likely get some young (i.e., cheap) person to take over the beat. Hopefully we get someone with a lot of energy who dives 100% into it and we can enjoy the work for a few years until they inevitably move on.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Get Sara Civian. At least her content is interesting, unlike Kurz. Staple was great, but we’re not getting another one of him probably

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Now I can really justify getting rid of the Athletic, already was going to do it with Kurz but now there's literally no point.

Reactions: seafoam

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He used the Islanders role to coast hop and was waiting for the Philly job to open up, and it showed in his work.

Anyone replacing him?

Reactions: JKP

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
He was fine. He wrote detailed and interesting articles on the Athletic covering the team 3-5 nights a week during the season. Was a regular presence on twitter covering the team also.

It's frustrating that the Athletic basically is using the NYI beat job as a stepping stone. Staple took the NYR job and Kurz took the PHI job and both left NYI. The Athletic has completely cut certain beat jobs for teams without big enough followings, so from a job security point of view, I guess I can't blame Staple and Kurz for taking the job to cover teams with larger fanases.

Isles will likely get some young (i.e., cheap) person to take over the beat. Hopefully we get someone with a lot of energy who dives 100% into it and we can enjoy the work for a few years until they inevitably move on.
The best we can hope for is someone who has a genuine interest in the sport and the franchise. Someone who also isn’t a mouthpiece for the organization and who can balance the need for critical journalism while maintaining a respectful and cordial relationship with the players.

If they’re fortunate to get someone like this, it’ll probably be a younger person with skill and ambition. That means they might stay here a year or two and move on. That’s just the way it is when you’re not the lead team in your media market.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Staple was better than Kurz for me so I won't miss him. Wonder who the replacement will be, especially since this is happening so late (I assume they knew it was coming but I'm curious how long ago they knew).
I suppose the replacement will be some kid blogger who is just looking for free meals in the press room.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Can you write clickbait content to drive traffic? That’s all the Athletic is going to care about.
Isn’t that what all media sources do? Unless you were picking up newspapers that somebody left on the seat next to you in the subway you always had to pay for your reading in some way. Instead of newsstand purchases or home delivery its online subscriptions now. Nothing’s for free.

Reactions: Big L

JJ18Sniper

Oct 2, 2020
NY
I'm expecting them to give Staple a stretch assignment for a few extra bucks where he does mostly NYR with some NYI coverage sprinkled in.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad