News Article: Kunitz's success shouldn't surprise

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Another great piece by LeBrun..

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9052443/success-pittsburgh-penguins-chris-kunitz-come-no-surprise

Undrafted and waived twice in the same month of his first full NHL season, Chris Kunitz never would have envisioned that one day he would be sitting third overall in scoring in the top league in the world.

But the story of Chris Kunitz is one that young minor hockey players should embrace.

He stuck with it. And he believed in himself.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The way he started the season - it sure as hell shocked me. But I'm very happy to see him scoring at this pace. He's just finishing EVERYTHING.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Getting that line another legit scoring threat would be insane.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
The way he started the season - it sure as hell shocked me. But I'm very happy to see him scoring at this pace. He's just finishing EVERYTHING.

:laugh: I remember people wanting to buy him out after the first week or two.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Same, I really hope Shero extends his contract this summer as well. I see it as 3 guys Shero needs to keep long term for extensions this summer - Malkin, Letang, and Kunitz.
He's going to be 34 at the start of next season, and 35 when any new deal kicks in. Yes extend him... but if it's longer than 2 maybe 3 years (max), then forget it. There's no reason to give him a long term extension. Also keep in mind that there's no way he can keep up his current pace. He's converting at a 29% rate. That WILL drop at some point.

Tellmeister

Jan 13, 2013
He's going to be 34 at the start of next season, and 35 when any new deal kicks in. Yes extend him... but if it's longer than 2 maybe 3 years (max), then forget it. There's no reason to give him a long term extension. Also keep in mind that there's no way he can keep up his current pace. He's converting at a 29% rate. That WILL drop at some point.

It doesn't have to drop a lot.

Look at his goals. http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8470543&lang=en

They are all open nets and high percentages shots from the slot. The only 3 who hasn't been this way is a deflection and a "lucky" shot both against Washington and an EN.

He is not taking a lot of shots unless there is a GREAT scoring chance.

Other then that I agree. I don't mind giving him a 2 maybe 3 if we get the cap hit down.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

This. I love the fact Kunitz is tearing up the league this year, but going forward I really hope folks aren't banking on him being a perennial 40 goal guy. He's also not that young anymore, so how much longer can he be counted on to hit as much as he does and remain healthy for 82 games?

Around 20-25 goals, around 50-60 points, plus some physicality is what folks should expect -- just like he's always done. And that's fine. I'd just be surprised if this year was anything more than an anomaly/career year.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
He shouldn't get more than 3 years at his age. Love the guy (no homo) but you can't cheat Father Time. Sooner or later he's going to slow down a bit. Also he takes a beating the way he plays the game so figure that in.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He shouldn't get more than 3 years at his age. Love the guy (no homo) but you can't cheat Father Time. Sooner or later he's going to slow down a bit. Also he takes a beating the way he plays the game so figure that in.

but he keeps getting better. We may have a benajmin button on our hands here moving towards his prime

od71

Apr 8, 2012
Different players start to flourish different times. Right now he is a third man in a team. There are 40 yo players that faster than bunch of much younger players.

Last edited:

Sorry

May 18, 2005
The way I see it, Kunitz will be a main reason people in the future look back and say this regular season doesn't count.

cheebatree

May 28, 2009
Altoona Pa
Kunitz is reaping the benefits of playing with Sid. Last year he was bangin bodies and grindin it out along the boards while Neal reaped the benefits. This year he's getting some quality PP time and he's the Neal of his line. Can he keep it up, yeah he's always had good hands. How many years? As long as he takes care of himself, as long as he wants and stays with Crosby in this role.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
but he keeps getting better. We may have a benajmin button on our hands here moving towards his prime

Could be... but why not keep giving him 3 year deals as long as the cap hit provides a substantial raise? I can't see him balking because he wants a 6 year deal somewhere.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
It's still ridiculous to go to NHL.com and see him 2nd in league scoring. Who could have possibly expected that?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's still ridiculous to go to NHL.com and see him 2nd in league scoring. Who could have possibly expected that?

Kunitz has a calming influence to his game just like Sid, too. Man he started off the season so lethargic and I could only imagine he's pacing himself but also challenging himself. He doesn't look like a player trying to be someone else. He's just doing what he wants to do.

Same goes for Dupers this year, too. That line is just falling into it's own. They are so calm and playing with chemistry.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
Very underrated player and it's great to see him get such success, after being a huge fan of him in ANA

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
i've read that a few times and still don't really get it.

please spell out what you are trying to say in very basic terms for us less intelligent folks.

short season leads to statistical anomalies. Guys with hot streaks may not have time to play in to the cold streak that would typically follow and vice versa.

That and people like excuses to discount what other teams and players have done.

If Chris Kunitz finishes towards the top of the scoring race, do you think people will really give him credit as one of the league's best scorers? Not a chance. Unless he can keep it up in to next season at least.

actually, it will depend. When discussing the Penguins as a whole, Kunitz will be a product of Crosby and Geno; the only good players we have. When discussing Crosby, he will be said to play with one of the best wingers in the game :laugh:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If Chris Kunitz plays 48 games and tops his career high in points in pretty much half the games...that's not a statistical anomaly. That's a great season.

I think team stats are really the only real stats that can be considerably skewed.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If Chris Kunitz plays 48 games and tops his career high in points in pretty much half the games...that's not a statistical anomaly. That's a great season.

I think team stats are really the only real stats that can be considerably skewed.

I'm just saying what people will say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad