Confirmed with Link: Kunin traded to Sharks

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
I still can't believe that Kunin was the only Pred to play all 82 games last year. Hynes should have been fired for that alone. And I kinda like Hynes.

AnalogKid

Oct 3, 2017
Well with Kunin gone, the floor is now open for nominations for this upcoming season's new whipping boy.....

Reactions: PredsV82

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Tolvanen lacing up the skates as we speak

tenor.gif

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Signing rights for signing rights plus a 3rd. Kunin's 13 NHL goals (all ES) and -11 for Leonard's 17 AHL goals (10 ES) and -28 ... 54 NHL games, 4 goals, 11 assists, -12.

Cap savings will likely only be in the $1mil range after signing Leonard. The biggest positives are Leonard doesn't have the PIM tendency that Kunin has and he put up some PP goals in the AHL .... the two most glaring issues in Kunin's game.

CRay

Feb 9, 2021
Nothing but net for him this offseason.. so far.
I am not a Poile hater but Kemell fell in his lap, unloading Kunnin was a good move but the the real work begins now, lock up FF and land the missing piece before we all hail.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Leonard can be signed to a two way contract for league minimum. I like JL and have followed him back to when he played Division 1 High School hockey in Massachussetts with Springfield Cathedral. He has excelled at every level he has played, until......the Sharks. I did not see him get any opportunity in the top six with the sharks, but he showed speed and hockey smarts. I hope it works out.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Leonard can be signed to a two way contract for league minimum. I like JL and have followed him back to when he played Division 1 High School hockey in Massachussetts with Springfield Cathedral. He has excelled at every level he has played, until......the Sharks. I did not see him get any opportunity in the top six with the sharks, but he showed speed and hockey smarts. I hope it works out.

His qualifying offer is 105% of more than league minimum, so unless he agrees to less than his QO he'll make more than the minimum. He can get a two way.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Needless to say I'm not too much of a fan of this trade. Although if Poile actually does something with the Cap space and walks away with a Very Significant UFA forward in addition to Forsberg, I'll change my tune. If instead he just sits on a $2.3M (or larger) cushion, then this will suck.

I guess I'm just not as down on Kunin as everybody else here seems to be. I thought he'd be an ok 3rd liner at least. And 13 goals and a ton of hits and scrappy play is worth $2.3M. Plus he's still young and could go back to playing smarter like he did the year before. One bad year with mostly-mental issues wouldn't have been enough for me to give up on him. Just because he couldn't be the top-6 offensive producer we dreamed of doesn't mean he couldn't still contribute to a team if he just got a few correctible things re-calibrated in his game. Oh well. I expect he'll be a lot better for the Sharks than he was for us.

I have been watching Leonard for a couple years. He seems to have fallen into a bit of a gap like Rem Pitlick where he needs to play in a certain role to have value, but maybe isn't quite good enough to be in that role in the NHL? Good timing for him to get a look in a new organization, and at least he is Waiver Exempt still, so we can re-sign him and start him in Milwaukee. He should be a very effective player for the Ads if nothing else.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Not a bad return honestly. Sucks to have lost the 2nd round pick paid for him, but it was a risk worth taking. Kunin really took a step backwards this season. I still see potential in him, but he leaned into the grinder role a little too much and forgot how to offense.

Nashville actually has a bit of cap space to play with now. If Poile can nab a 2nd line winger I'll be happy. Any available Swedes out there who can be Forsberg's new BFF??

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Not a bad return honestly. Sucks to have lost the 2nd round pick paid for him, but it was a risk worth taking. Kunin really took a step backwards this season. I still see potential in him, but he leaned into the grinder role a little too much and forgot how to offense.

Nashville actually has a bit of cap space to play with now. If Poile can nab a 2nd line winger I'll be happy. Any available Swedes out there who can be Forsberg's new BFF??

Andre Burakovsky? And we could get Jarnkrok back too to really up the friend factor.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
I still can't believe that Kunin was the only Pred to play all 82 games last year. Hynes should have been fired for that alone. And I kinda like Hynes.

His .82 g/60 playing 5on5 explains why he played all 82 games. There were three full season forwards with a better g/60 on the Preds ... Forsberg, Duchene, Jeannot.

League wide he was 179th among forwards with five or more games played.

The flip side of that was his total lack of PP scoring and number of PIMs. The rest of the PP unit scored more than enough to cover for his shortcomings in that area. His 22 minor penalties were costly for a team with a relatively poor PK%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad