Line Combos: Kulak vs Wideman - The Poll

Which player would you prefer as a 6th D if MB doesn't shop for anyone else and no rookies standout

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Nooo, not allowed!
:laugh:
Well, I'm gonna pick Kulak if I have to pick someone right now because I at least know he can somewhat play in the NHL. Wideman might surprise during the camp though, wouldn't be astounded if he starts the first game of the season and Kulak's out of the lineup.

Reactions: Holystik

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Sight unseen, I don't trust Wideman's game after being out of the NHL for a couple of years. Odds are against him. Hopefully the Habs' scouts pull a rabbit out of their hats – he's only 31 (I thought he was older).

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I don't know much about Wideman, however I have always found Kulak to be one of our more underrated players. He has decent size, can skate and isn't bad at moving the puck.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Kulak is 27, so he's in his prime, he's not a young guy who is going to improve. Wideman is older, so he'd better be good early in the season and they should move on if he isn't.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
No idea, I haven't ever paid attention to Chris Wideman to have an opinion. He had some pretty impressive numbers in the KHL last year though, so hopefully he's a late bloomer, and is good for the team.

Reactions: Holystik

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Preferably Wideman, because, at least in theory, he seems like a more natural partner for Chiarot and I want Romanov to play with Savard. If Wideman sucks, though, it's going to be Kulak and our D pairs will again not have any rhyme or reason.

Reactions: BLONG7

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Wideman is having a little come back!

The only reason I voted for him is because of wishful thinking. We need a RD PMD and he could be our free surprise for this year.

If he could end up somewhere in the middle between Sekac and Radulov type of signing, not hurting too much defensively and helping with the first pass, Ozone lateral blue line cycles and PP, I would be extremely happy!

I'm also ready for a quick bust.
:laugh:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Picked Wideman just because he's a RHD. But yeah, not convinced he's NHL caliber

I'm willing to wait to see him in action but these are the things I look at right now.

* 5'-10" and 183 lbs. His physical presence and neutralizing in front of the net and along the boards is very limited. Maybe a bit better than Mete? KHL is a very good league but it's not physical like the NHL. Interesting to note that his +/- was among the best in the regular season but was the worse in the playoffs. Bet you the KHL playoffs got more physical and he was taken advantage of to some degree. NHL coaches and players will be able to take advantage of that more.

* In order for him to provide value for us, he needs to move the puck well and produce on the PP. If he struggles in that area, he is useless.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
There's literally no one else to play at that position if we're trying to avoid putting a LD on the right again this season (unless of course Brook surprises everyone at camp and claims that spot)

So if he can't even beat a D playing out of position I would hope they'd planned on signing him as a 7-8th defenseman all along and are intending to sign someone else to round up the top-6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad