Kudos to the Coach

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
For the first time since Krueger was here we are seeing excellent development of players all through the lineup.

Taylor Hall finally stepped up his game to a higher level than he played under Krueger, and we are seeing signs of the same things from lots of other players, Yak included. I don't think it's a coincidence that so many players just suddenly came around. It's like spring has finally sprung in Edm.

All hail the Mcssiah.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
For the first time since Krueger was here we are seeing excellent development of players all through the lineup.

Taylor Hall finally stepped up his game to a higher level than he played under Krueger, and we are seeing signs of the same things from lots of other players, Yak included. I don't think it's a coincidence that so many players just suddenly came around. It's like spring has finally sprung in Edm.

All hail the Mcssiah.

Everything is going good except for the wins coming. Until I see we are winning more than losing, then I'll come around. For now, there's too much suckage.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Visually, the team looks infinitely better than under Eakins. Unfortunately, the team still has the worst record in the league still. The Oilers have been in games late. It sucks they can't finish them.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Visually, the team looks infinitely better than under Eakins. Unfortunately, the team still has the worst record in the league still. The Oilers have been in games late. It sucks they can't finish them.

I think its still a case of GA>GF that's hurting the Oilers, not scoring.

I want to say its all defense's fault but many games slipped because of poor goaltending

McDeathbyCheerios*

I think its still a case of GA>GF that's hurting the Oilers, not scoring.

I want to say its all defense's fault but many games slipped because of poor goaltending
They are mistakes that end up in the back of the net. Something that can be fixed. We are keeping up or outplaying in the majority of games but individual mistakes have led to losses. A lot of that is youth and inexperience.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Everything is going good except for the wins coming. Until I see we are winning more than losing, then I'll come around. For now, there's too much suckage.

Pretty much this. Reminds me of school where everyone got the participation ribben. This aint elementary school where everyonr gets a pst on the back for trying

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This is better than getting wins with suspect play. I wish we were winning of course but the team is coming around.

You never know. Its early in the season. Maybe we can go on a run

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Totally premature. Hallsy can beast with a good coach or bad. That is like saying Nelson would lead us to the promise land because Yak improved under him.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
We're playing well, and we're close, but as I stated in GDT this club continues to be blessed with a preponderance of sheer stupidity.

Last night on the winning GA count the number of mistakes. Its a complete clownshow in OT. Textbook what not to do.

1) Chicago possesses the puck. Bad time for a linechange in 3 on 3 hockey. NEVER do this especially on long change.

2) Oilers decide to line change right then anyway because Oilers..

3) Eberle and Nuge take all day to get off ice with Nuge particularly coasting in for the long change like an airplane taxiing off the runway.

4) The one player left on the ice is King idiot, Sekera, the one token D on the ice that didn't change but for some strange reason completely misses Hossa breaking in alone right past him. With Nuge at least pointing at that while he's coasting back to the bench.

5) While the Oilers clueless twins are taking forever to get off the ice the Hawks player coming off is astute enough to rush the bench and basically jump off the ice allowing Hossa to get on the ice prior to the Oilers coming off the bench.

6) Two Oilers coming on jump completely the other way flying towards the attack zone as the puck hits Hossas stick for the breakaway. Apparently neither are watching the play from the bench. (you can't make this **** up)

7) The funniest thing is the Oilers actually had 4 skaters on the ice as Purcell and Pouliot are on about 2 secs before Nuge finally gets to the bench.

8) Nillson lets Hossa, who has all of 2 goals this season and not much of a shot anymore blow a mid range slapshot right by him. doesn't even move.

In short this play, the losing play, offers a synopsis of how this team may be close, but its still so far. its like a snapshot of the critical moments of the season. I could accept a couple mistakes on a play. But the amount of things that had to go wrong to create this goal are truly astounding. mindblown..

Sometimes I think we have a line up full of congenital idiots.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010

All hail the Mcssiah.

Hall is producing around the same rate he did the first season under Eakins when he put up 80 points in 75 games. You cant really give credit to the coaching for developing his game. Yakupov improved while playing with McDavid but since he's left he's back to his old self, was actually better under Nelson. Lander has take a step backwards. If you judge the results by the standings Mclellan hasnt had any effect there yet.

If we're going to judge coaching by what we've seen so far then it looks like we made the wrong decision on the coaching hire. Babcock is doing better with a worse lineup in Toronto, the Sabres are doing more under Blysma. Just like all the kudoos that were going around in the preseason it's much to early to be crowing about our improved coaching because we aint seen nothing yet.

McDeathbyCheerios*

We're playing well, and we're close, but as I stated in GDT this club continues to be blessed with a preponderance of sheer stupidity.

Last night on the winning GA count the number of mistakes. Its a complete clownshow in OT. Textbook what not to do.

1) Chicago possesses the puck. Bad time for a linechange in 3 on 3 hockey. NEVER do this especially on long change.

2) Oilers decide to line change right then anyway because Oilers..

3) Eberle and Nuge take all day to get off ice with Nuge particularly coasting in for the long change like an airplane taxiing off the runway.

4) The one player left on the ice is King idiot, Sekera, the one token D on the ice that didn't change but for some strange reason completely misses Hossa breaking in alone right past him. With Nuge at least pointing at that while he's coasting back to the bench.

5) Two Oilers coming on jump completely the other way flying towards the attack zone as the puck hits Hossas stick for the breakaway. Apparently neither are watching the play from the bench. (you can't make this **** up)

6) The funniest thing is the Oilers actually had 4 skaters on the ice as Purcell and Pouliot are on about 3 secs before Nuge finally gets to the bench.

7) Nillson lets Hossa, who has all of 2 goals this season and not much of a shot anymore blow a mid range slapshot right by him. doesn't even move.

In short this play, the losing, play offers a synopsis of how this team may be close, but its still so far. I could accept a couple mistakes on a play. But the amount of things that had to go wrong to create this goal are truly astounding.

Sometimes I think we have a line up of congenital idiots.
I've seen that happen to very good teams too. Not as often, but great teams aren't prone to complete brain farts

McDeathbyCheerios*

Hall is producing around the same rate he did the first season under Eakins when he put up 80 points in 75 games. You cant really give credit to the coaching for developing his game. Yakupov improved while playing with McDavid but since he's left he's back to his old self, was actually better under Nelson. Lander has take a step backwards. If you judge the results by the standings Mclellan hasnt had any effect there yet.

If we're going to judge coaching by what we've seen so far then it looks like we made the wrong decision on the coaching hire. Babcock is doing better with a worse lineup in Toronto, the Sabres are doing more under Blysma. Just like all the kudoos that were going around in the preseason it's much to early to be crowing about our improved coaching because we aint seen nothing yet.
Then you literally haven't been watching games.

If we got Babcock we would never to restart the rebuild as his style iof play doesn't work with our players.

Bylsma and his sabres have had quite the easy schedule in comparison.

Our team has more fundamental problems then the rest so McLellan had more to work with.

McLellan was the right pick for the team, saying he isn't cause other teams have more wins is ridiculous.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I've seen that happen to very good teams too. Not as often, but great teams aren't prone to complete brain farts

Its the amount of futility on the play. The sum and extent of it, that should be completely shocking. Also, why do you even have a D on the ice if its name is Sekera? He's just standing there watching the line changes and seeing a cute bird in the 3rd row as Hossa blows right by him on the breakaway.

That these guys are not clued in, not thinking on the ice is so completely obvious. Nuge was actually pointing at his stick to Sekera to cover the hawks player jumping off the ice. To his credit Nuge at least knew that play was going to happen. Sekera I half expected to wave his stick back.

Stupid things happen to stupid teams. Another lol moment for the hawks to be sure. With some of the Oilers supposed best players being on the ice and culpable in the GA.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Its the amount of futility on the play. The sum and extent of it, that should be completely shocking. Also, why do you even have a D on the ice if its name is Sekera? He's just standing there watching the line changes and seeing a cute bird in the 3rd row as Hossa blows right by him on the breakaway.

That these guys are not clued in, not thinking on the ice is so completely obvious. Nuge was actually pointing at his stick to Sekera to cover the hawks player jumping off the ice. To his credit Nuge at least knew that play was going to happen. Sekera I half expected to wave his stick back.

Stupid things happen to stupid teams. Another lol moment for the hawks to be sure. With some of the Oilers supposed best players being on the ice and culpable in the GA.
Why is Sekera out there on 3 on 3? That was our 3rd ot game. Sekera had glory passes in the other 2 that led to wins. I know you don't like him but he has been much much better lately and he has been money in ot

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Why is Sekera out there on 3 on 3? That was our 3rd ot game. Sekera had glory passes in the other 2 that led to wins. I know you don't like him but he has been much much better lately and he has been money in ot

No, I know, just frustrated. He's good offensively in the OT, but completely clueless defensively. It just drives me a bit batty. :laugh:

I was in the middle of a good rant..

But heres a funny thing. Pro players that don't know enough not to be looking at danger emanating from a player jumping off the bench on a long change period. How can you even be a pro player and not understand to look out for that. I don't even....

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think I'll save the kudos until we are out of last place overall.

Hardly his fault we're in last. A combination of so many things has put us in last place. If we didn't blow so many games late we'd be closer to a playoff spot than we are right now, unfortunately things just happen. Saves of the year, untimely (or unwarranted) penalties, sticks breaking, you name it, it happens to this team.

Not to mention losing McDavid.

This is not a last place team, unfortunately the standings read that we are.

McDeathbyCheerios*

No, I know, just frustrated. He's good offensively in the OT, but completely clueless defensively. It just drives me a bit batty. :laugh:

I was in the middle of a good rant..

But heres a funny thing. Pro players that don't know enough not to be looking at danger emanating from a player jumping off the bench on a long change period. How can you even be a pro player and not understand to look out for that. I don't even....
3 on 3 is still new and chaotic. We haven't made it to it enough so we haven't had enough practice. The less players on the ice the scarier for the d imo

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Hardly his fault we're in last. A combination of so many things has put us in last place. If we didn't blow so many games late we'd be closer to a playoff spot than we are right now, unfortunately things just happen. Saves of the year, untimely (or unwarranted) penalties, sticks breaking, you name it, it happens to this team.

Not to mention losing McDavid.

This is not a last place team, unfortunately the standings read that we are.

Sent Drasitl down after a great camps, sent down nurse, schultz leads team in ice time It's all about wins and as I watch scrubs teams like Arizona and Buffalo get results I once again see us dead freaking last. Hall got off to a bad start.

At this point none of that other stuff matters. This is a mact like visually we are better. It's time to win or get off the pot and like it or not each new regime does not get a 'a few years' to see what they have and start winning.

If our coach was doing a great job this team would be winning some games, unless you feel our talent level is so horrible that his great coaching has moved us to be a 6 win rather than a 1 win team.

Win stinking games and I'll pat you on the back. Lose and it's same old same old.

aspin

Sep 13, 2002
Regina
Visit site

All hail the Mcssiah.

I would have to disagree. We saw this and better under Nelson at the end of last year. McLellan is getting nothing from our bottom 6. Nelson had Lander going and many other bottom 6 guys including the likes of Nuge, Hall, and Yak.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
His management of the goaltending has been very poor but the rest of his coaching seems to be nothing short of amazing.

This team will come around and everyone knows it... They don't just pretend or talk about some future maybe, you can see it every day and every day they seem just a bit closer. Its a matter of when not if. Something that under Eakins seemed highly unlikely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad