Rumor: Kucherov long term injury could give lightning the cap space they need

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Because Tampa is in a joke of a division, the first round of the playoffs will be like a warmup for Kucherov anyway.

Unfortunately, I think this makes it very likely that the NHL blocks players coming off the LTIR just before the playoffs in the future. There will be some kind of provision that they have to play at least 1 regular season game or they can't return until the second round.

That's a rule that should have been put in after the Patrick Kane LTIR.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Isn't it great that they specify 'regular season'? Dr Brisebois can determine the recovery timeline down to the day, evidently.
It's not that the GM of the team losing its superstar to injury has been informed by the surgeons and the medical staff to a T. No, it's him that comes up with a diagnosis and the recovery timetable, per @BruinsBtn.

Never change, HF.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
It's not that the GM of the team losing its superstar to injury has been informed by the surgeons and the medical staff to a T. No, it's him that comes up with a diagnosis and the recovery timetable, per @BruinsBtn.

Never change, HF.

Truly some 'born yesterday' stuff. Lemme guess, you don't think NHL docs prescribe PEDs and cleared players with post-concussion syndrome too? How cute.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Truly some 'born yesterday' stuff. Lemme guess, you don't think NHL docs prescribe PEDs and cleared players with post-concussion syndrome too? How cute.
Hop you don't play hockey, would be hard to fit your tinfoil hat under the helmet

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I can't spin this as Tampa trying to "circumvent" anything. Losing a top 5 player for an entire season sucks, no matter what. I'm sure they would have much preferred trading Johnson with a 1st attached.

With that said, this doesn't solve the Lightning's cap issues, it only delays them. The cap is not going up after this season, so they'll be in the same spot next offseason.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I can't spin this as Tampa trying to "circumvent" anything. Losing a top 5 player for an entire season sucks, no matter what. I'm sure they would have much preferred trading Johnson with a 1st attached.

With that said, this doesn't solve the Lightning's cap issues, it only delays them. The cap is not going up after this season, so they'll be in the same spot next offseason.

But it gives them the chance to take another run without breaking up the team. I get that losing Kucherov for the season hurts, but I think TB management and every fan would prefer another kick at the can before having to deal with it next season.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Kane situation 2.0

Too bad the league will do nothing about this highly convenient form of cap circumvention.

They need to implement a cap system in the playoffs to stop this bullshit from happening.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Im just shock to read that he will be back and ok for the playoffs nhl is such a bush league

"BriseBois a mentionné que si le retour à la forme du Russe se passe bien, il sera en mesure de revenir à temps pour les séries éliminatoires."

Kellen

Apr 17, 2019
Google Image Result for https://media.tenor.com/images/cd15f6a78b09357ffdf99a8c79d0d8b5/tenor.gif

Kuch the day before playoffs start
E562D8B0-1ABF-4050-863F-E2575A646D2A.gif

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I can't spin this as Tampa trying to "circumvent" anything.
How is this not circumvention? This isn’t an unfortunate injury. This is surgery due to an injury from last season. Surgery they have had months to do. Surgery that there management has a timetable for, and could easily time it such that he’s back by playoffs. Surgery isn’t an unfortunate incident, it’s a decision, and it’s clear it’s being timed to maximize cap impact.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
so let me get this straight... people actually assume that Tampa and Kucherov had a discussion during off season and they told one of the best players in the world to PLEASE limp thru this offseason and pretend you aren't hurt until the VERY last moment and we will tell the world that you are hurt and need surgery and will miss the whole season so we can sign some young guys??!!... one of the best players in the world... really??

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
How is this not circumvention? This isn’t an unfortunate injury. This is surgery due to an injury from last season. Surgery they have had months to do. Surgery that there management has a timetable for, and could easily time it such that he’s back by playoffs. Surgery isn’t an unfortunate incident, it’s a decision, and it’s clear it’s being timed to maximize cap impact.

The reports say he first complained of this hip issue in December. Not sure why you are doing the Message Board MD thing where you pretend to know his medical details.

Reactions: AndreRoy

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Kane situation 2.0

Too bad the league will do nothing about this highly convenient form of cap circumvention.

They need to implement a cap system in the playoffs to stop this bullshit from happening.

The owners clearly don’t care because a new CBA was just agreed to and nothing was changed about the lack of a playoff salary cap.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Does the NHL have their own Medical staff to investigates LTIR such as this one?

Seems sooooo convenient for Tampa... and they refuse to talk about the injury on top of it .. lol.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If he comes back before the play offs then TB still need to move players

With Kucherov on LTIR they're at $7.5m under.
Too biz to read all 11 pgs so apologies if this was already discussed.

?
Doesn't a player have to come back BEFORE the playoffs and actually be on the roster at least a minimum of a few games before season ends to be playoff eligible?

If that is a yes, then that means TB could put off the inevitable until the last minute, but then if they want Kuchy to play in playoffs this season [assuming nature of the injury allows and he is up to it], THEN it's EITHER bite the bullet OR he can't get into playoffs.

Or did I miss something?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Does the NHL have their own Medical staff to investigates LTIR such as this one?

Seems sooooo convenient for Tampa... and they refuse to talk about the injury on top of it .. lol.

Theres no question the LTIR is legit if Kucherov is going to have surgery. Where it could get interesting is the recovery time. If Kuch for example is fit to play a few weeks before the end of the regular season it will be difficult for Tampa to keep him on LTIR without committing a cap circumvention. Likewise if he’s magically fit to play for game 1 of the playoffs that’s also a concern the league could challenge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad