Kucherov having an insane season (125 pts in 79 games) - most since 2007 season

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Kucherov has been the best player in the league this year.

McDavid is the best player in the world.
So what you're saying is that McDavid's status as best in the league has been taken over by Kucherov this year. Yet, McDavid is still the best. Is the assumption that McDavid is so great, his ascent to top spot is unquestionable and inevitable, no matter how great Kucherov has been?

Reactions: RedLeader and Rasmi

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
So what you're saying is that McDavid's status as best in the league has been taken over by Kucherov this year. Yet, McDavid is still the best. Is the assumption that McDavid is so great, his ascent to top spot is unquestionable and inevitable, no matter how great Kucherov has been?

No. I think at least a few years of hockey should be taken into consideration when determining the best player in the world. Kucherov’s performance this year has been minimally better than McDavid given the circumstances of both. I believe Connor could still have a 20+ game run that changes the conversation this year.

There’s a good argument to be made that Jonathan Cheechoo had a better 05-06 season than Datsyuk, Zetterberg, or the Sedins. He was never the better player.

Reactions: insomniac

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
No. I think at least a few years of hockey should be taken into consideration when determining the best player in the world. Kucherov’s performance this year has been minimally better than McDavid given the circumstances of both. I believe Connor could still have a 20+ game run that changes the conversation this year.

There’s a good argument to be made that Jonathan Cheechoo had a better 05-06 season than Datsyuk, Zetterberg, or the Sedins. He was never the better player.
Cheechoo is a terrible comparison. He basically had one great year and one good year. Plus having watched both him and Kucherov you could see the huge difference in talent.

I can see the argument that we need wait longer to proclaim Kucherov the greatest current player but not using Cheechoo as comparison.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Cheechoo is a terrible comparison. He basically had one great year and one good year. Plus having watched both him and Kucherov you could see the huge difference in talent.

I can see the argument that we need wait longer to proclaim Kucherov the greatest current player but not using Cheechoo as comparison.

That’s fair. I chose an extreme. We’re on the same page.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Looks like the hart trophy will elude Mcdavid in his career. 2 straight years of his prime already lost. Mcdavid is human which this season shows. Kucherov is better right now.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
Is he having an insane season? Yes. Is he having the best season since the lockout? Probably not.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014

Since 2016-17:
Kucherov 284 pts in 214 gp (1.33 ppg)
McDavid 291 pts in 221 gp (1.32 ppg)

Kucherov has elite PO runs in 2014-15, 2015-16 and 2017-18.

As for the Cheechoo part. His numbers were influenced by unquestionably better player on his line (Thornton). Maybe you can point me to a player that is dragging Kucherov numbers (like Thornton).

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Kucherov is just as lucky as Thornton was. Both would be like 60 point players if they didn't have elite goal scorers like Stamkos and Cheechoo to play with.

Reactions: Post Karl Malone

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Patrick Kane is having arguably his best season ever, has an insane assist streak, and he's 2nd in league scoring and he's STILL 9 points back of Kucherov. It's absolutely insane how great of a year #86 is having. Congrats Bolts fans, it's a lot of fun to watch

Reactions: CupsOverCash

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

FlatNeedyAxolotl-size_restricted.gif

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

So were their performances based on their PPGs in 16/17 the same given their circumstances?

It's close to three seasons of similar offensive performances. What more do you want?

Reactions: Post Karl Malone

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
So were their performances based on their PPGs in 16/17 the same given their circumstances?

It's close to three seasons of similar offensive performances. What more do you want?

Nothing more. The Lightning have been a better team over the last 3 years combined. At all points, Kucherov has benefited from a better supporting cast. Stamkos and Point are better all around players than Draisaitl who does not even try defensively. McDavid’s numbers, at a younger age, have been better over that time period. I’m not saying the gap is tremendous, in just saying that when considering a three year period I think McDavid is the better player. I’m not an Oilers fan.

My Cheechoo example was only cited to say a single year cannot be judged. It wasn’t a direct comparison.

Saying McDavid is still the best player in the league is not outlandish. His self-generation of offense is unmatched in the NHL and the underlying numbers are just as strong as Kucherov’s this season.

99 > 83. Yes, I can do math

The Lightning have also scored 73 more goals than the Oilers. Kucherov might be outproducing McDavid by 19% right now but the Lightning are outproducing the Oilers offense by 46%. The gap really isn’t that significant in production when considering who these guys play with.

How many more points would McDavid have if the Oilers had 233 goals this year, or even 200?

Last edited:

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
Patrick Kane is having arguably his best season ever, has an insane assist streak, and he's 2nd in league scoring and he's STILL 9 points back of Kucherov. It's absolutely insane how great of a year #86 is having. Congrats Bolts fans, it's a lot of fun to watch

I agree, Kane is having his best year, with arguably worse or equal supporting cast to McDavid.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
What "underlying numbers" are those? Worse possession stats? Worse scoring chance stats? Worse GF%? With way more minutes?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I agree, Kane is having his best year, with arguably worse or equal supporting cast to McDavid.

Kane doesn't even have a Draisaitl, Duncan Keith is well out of his prime, and yet Kane is producing better than he was with Panarin. Kucherov has all eyes on him from McDavid fanboys but they're forgetting Kane is vastly out producing him as well, they just can use the linemate/team excuse there.

Reactions: binop7

quacktastic93

Dec 9, 2017
Since 2016-17:
Kucherov 284 pts in 214 gp (1.33 ppg)
McDavid 291 pts in 221 gp (1.32 ppg)

Kucherov has elite PO runs in 2014-15, 2015-16 and 2017-18.

As for the Cheechoo part. His numbers were influenced by unquestionably better player on his line (Thornton). Maybe you can point me to a player that is dragging Kucherov numbers (like Thornton).
Take into consideration the org and teams they play for though, if you switched their teams i highly doubt this convo even happens

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Nothing more. The Lightning have been a better team over the last 3 years combined. At all points, Kucherov has benefited from a better supporting cast. Stamkos and Point are better all around players than Draisaitl who does not even try defensively. McDavid’s numbers, at a younger age, have been better over that time period. I’m not saying the gap is tremendous, in just saying that when considering a three year period I think McDavid is the better player. I’m not an Oilers fan.

My Cheechoo example was only cited to say a single year cannot be judged. It wasn’t a direct comparison.

Saying McDavid is still the best player in the league is not outlandish. His self-generation of offense is unmatched in the NHL and the underlying numbers are just as strong as Kucherov’s this season.

99 > 83. Yes, I can do math

The Lightning have also scored 73 more goals than the Oilers. Kucherov might be outproducing McDavid by 19% right now but the Lightning are outproducing the Oilers offense by 46%. The gap really isn’t that significant in production when considering who these guys play with.

How many more points would McDavid have if the Oilers had 233 goals this year, or even 200?
How many more points would Kucherov have if he didn't have to share points and ice with Stamkos, Point, Gourde, Johnson, etc?

I can ask hypothetical questions as if they have anything to do with the discussion at hand too!

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
How many more points would Kucherov have if he didn't have to share points and ice with Stamkos, Point, Gourde, Johnson, etc?

I can ask hypothetical questions as if they have anything to do with the discussion at hand too!

It does impact the discussion. Better players put up more points with a stronger supporting cast. It’s not my fault you don’t understand that and resort to giant lol wut gifs.

Anyone else here think Kucherov posts 99 on the Oilers and McDavid is still at 83 with the Lightning?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad