Kucherov becomes 5th player in history to record 100 assists in a season

lawrence

May 19, 2012
despite having more points than Mcdavid, I don't think he's better than Mcdavid though and it's not close for me. McDavid has way less to work with compared to Kucherov. Of course, nobody will take any credit away from him. Awesome season by him.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
despite having more points than Mcdavid, I don't think he's better than Mcdavid though and it's not close for me. McDavid has way less to work with compared to Kucherov. Of course, nobody will take any credit away from him. Awesome season by him.

Nobody is saying he is better than McDavid.

But he had a better season than McDavid. Beating McDavid to Art Ross Trophy is itself a great achevement. Kuch did it twice in great fashion!

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
TBH? Same reason Marino needed a SB ring. I have little doubt that McDavid will win a cup at some point. But what top ten all-time NHL greats never won a cup? Just curious. Not winning it all is definitely a heavily weighted mark against you. I am sure he will make this post obsolete but...but...he's gotta win a cup or 2 or 3 to be top 5
So are you saying is McDavid doesn’t win a team award that Kucherov is better?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yeah he doesn't need one, he should just golf early now and prepare for a 160 point season next year. Who wants a Cup anyways, just lose in the 1st round, put up 2PPG and pretend like that's good enough.
What are you going on about?

I’m asking why would McDavid need to win a team awar
Because its a huge important career mark. No matter about team award.
Like someone mentioned there were three nhlers with consecutive 30 points playoff performance.
If McDavid will not won a cup, those crazy arguments about weak div or conference or some other unmeaningful aspects will start to be more meaningful. Or his partnerism with another hart level player. Yeah, great producer but not the only one of his time.

Because for now some players did something more.
If he will win it, there will be no argument if there will be no career drop, and even if he will, his consecutive art/hart 10 seasons dominating will be remembered as some historical performance.
But for now Kucherov is the only non Oilers art ross winner (looks like it will be two times winner), he doesn't play with Draisaitl, has consecutive playoff 30+ points herformances, made 100 assists in one season, won 2 cups and played in 4 finals, is second best ppg player after McDavid joined this league and for now can't separate himself from Kucherov until he will win SC. Now I can agree he doesn't need CS, but SC is huge need.
that’s great he might have 2 Art Ross.

McDavid already has 5 in 9 seasons. Also a rocket

He also has a much higher PPG in both the post season and regular season.

As I said it’s a very good argument that Kucherov is the 2nd best, but there is not a single argument in Kucherov favour other than he’s won more TEAM awards

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam

All 100 of Kucherov's assists.

Now, people are going to think I'm hating or taking a swipe or giving a back-handed compliment but I'm not. His passing and IQ are off the charts and only a handful of players in NHL history can make those cross-seam passes that he's making.

But I've been banging the drum all year that people need to stop acting like Kucherov is doing it all alone on Tampa because of his lead over 2nd place scorer on his team.

Watch those highlights. 90% of his assists come from standing still on the right-side half wall and either feeding the point man or cross seam for a one-timer.

If Stamkos/Point weren't so insane on one-timers/converting cross seam passes and Hedman wasn't so good at walking the line and finding lanes for the puck from the point, this doesn't happen.

Those 3 guys have elite skill sets that allow Kucherov to play that cerebral game from that spot. He isn't a one-man offence generator like McDavid or Mackinnon.

Flame away but that's how I feel.

User9992

Feb 27, 2016

Now, people are going to think I'm hating or taking a swipe or giving a back-handed compliment but I'm not. His passing and IQ are off the charts and only a handful of players in NHL history can make those cross-seam passes that he's making.

But I've been banging the drum all year that people need to stop acting like Kucherov is doing it all alone on Tampa because of his lead over 2nd place scorer on his team.

Watch those highlights. 90% of his assists come from standing still on the right-side half wall and either feeding the point man or cross seam for a one-timer.

If Stamkos/Point weren't so insane on one-timers/converting cross seam passes and Hedman wasn't so good at walking the line and finding lanes for the puck from the point, this doesn't happen.

Those 3 guys have elite skill sets that allow Kucherov to play that cerebral game from that spot. He isn't a one-man offence generator like McDavid or Mackinnon.

Kuch has 54 points more than any other Lightning. That's a record in modern NHL.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
What are you going on about?

I’m asking why would McDavid need to win a team awar

that’s great he might have 2 Art Ross.

McDavid already has 5 in 9 seasons. Also a rocket

He also has a much higher PPG in both the post season and regular season.

As I said it’s a very good argument that Kucherov is the 2nd best, but there is not a single argument in Kucherov favour other than he’s won more TEAM awards

SC. Two.
And no one care about that it is team award. Until McDavid is playing without it - he can't separate himself. Like it or not. 5 more art ross trophies with Draisaitl in the pocket will not help.

Reactions: sanscosm

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Kuch has 54 points more than any other Lightning. That's a record in modern NHL.
Yes Kuch is undeniably the straw that stirs the drink and the offence goes through him. Stammer, Point, and Hedman aren't neccessarily getting a lot of points on each others goals but Kuch is getting points on a large number of them being the facilitator so his point lead makes sense.

That doesn't change the fact that the video doesn't lie. A lot of those are easy assists that have more to do with Stamkos having an absolute bomb of a one-timer, Point having a laser beam shot, and Hedman being elite at getting pucks on net through traffic which either goes in directly or gets banged home.

This is only in response to the people who keep acting like Kucherov has been a one-man show with no help unlike Mack or McDavid or AM. He has two 40+ goal elite shooters and an 80 point Dman to work off of and the highlight video I posted clearly bears that out.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
SC. Two.
And no one care about that it is team award. Until McDavid is playing without it - he can't separate himself. Like it or not. 5 more art ross trophies with Draisaitl in the pocket will not help.
Vastly better PPG in regular season

Vastly better PPG in the playoffs

A rocket vs no rocket

More Art Ross trophies

More Hart Trophies

More Lindsay awards

Vs

2 team awards.

But sure, he hasn’t separated himself. I’ve also heard Jack Eichel and Nathan Mackinnon are better players too.

Reactions: WalterLundy

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Yes Kuch is undeniably the straw that stirs the drink and the offence goes through him. Stammer, Point, and Hedman aren't neccessarily getting a lot of points on each others goals but Kuch is getting points on a large number of them being the facilitator so his point lead makes sense.

That doesn't change the fact that the video doesn't lie. A lot of those are easy assists that have more to do with Stamkos having an absolute bomb of a one-timer, Point having a laser beam shot, and Hedman being elite at getting pucks on net through traffic which either goes in directly or gets banged home.

This is only in response to the people who keep acting like Kucherov has been a one-man show with no help unlike Mack or McDavid or AM. He has two 40+ goal elite shooters and an 80 point Dman to work off of and the highlight video I posted clearly bears that out.
Assist reals never look impressive. Let’s see Mackinnons and Mcdavids

Reactions: User9992

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Not a fan of Kuchorov the man but what an insane talent. First winger to record 100 assists in a season and to steal a bit of McDavid's thunder on his own historic season. Congrats

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yeah, that’s why I specified Kucherov’s prime. He took a few years to reach his ultimate level - probably because he had to develop that insane intuition and ability to read the play, while McDavid came into the league a ridiculous natural athlete.

Again though, Kucherov missed a season and a half in his prime due to injuries, and in the half season he played he was barely behind McDavid’s scoring pace. So you already have him outscoring McDavid in two seasons, as well as leading him in a third before being passed at the very end; if Kuch had stayed healthy those two prime seasons and at least been competitive with McDavid (which almost certainly would have been the case), possibly even beating him in one of them (speculative, but certainly not outside the realm of possibility), it’s difficult to see how you don’t put them on the same tier.

Let’s look at it season by season, starting at the point Kucherov hit his prime (as unlike McDavid who came into the league a physical beast, Kuch needed a few years of exponential growth before reaching his ultimate level):

2017-18: McD 108, Kuch 100. Kucherov was leading before letting off the gas and getting passed at the end of the season. Clearly they were competitive this year.

2018-19: Kuch 128, McD 116. A clear win for Kucherov, who put up what was at that time the highest-scoring season since Lemieux in ‘95-96.

2019-20: McD 97, Kuch 85. A clear win for McDavid, who followed a 12-point loss to Kucherov with a 12-point win over him in a shortened season.

2020-21: Kucherov missed the entire season due to injury. McDavid went beast mode this year so Kucherov certainly would have had his work cut out for him, but considering the incredible postseason Kuch put up while playing through multiple injuries I don’t think we can rule it out. Still, it’s a no-contest between them.

2021-22: Kucherov missed almost half the season due to injury. McDavid scored 123, while Kucherov in the games he did play was pacing for 120. Again, we’ll never know what would have happened had Kuch been able to stay healthy, but clearly he was playing on the same level as McDavid this season.

2022-23: McD 153, Kuch 113. A dominant win for McDavid, who topped Kucherov’s previous total by putting up the new highest-scoring season since Lemieux’s ‘95-96 campaign.

2023-24: Kuch 144, McD 132. A clear win for Kucherov, who once again bests McDavid by 12 points.

So from the time Kucherov hit his stride he’s beaten McDavid’s scoring by double digits twice, been beaten by double digits twice, and been on the same level twice, with one season being missed entirely.

That being the case, I don’t see how you don’t put the two of them on the same tier. You can fairly argue that McDavid has the edge in the regular season as he peaked a little higher, hit his stride sooner upon entering the league, and has stayed healthier, but then Kucherov has been the most dominant postseason player of his generation and one of the greatest of all time. Regardless of how you rank the two, there’s no way the gap between them is large enough to put one of them on a lower tier than the other.
Let’s look the separation by each aeason

17/18 - McDavid by 8. Why Kucherov gets some kind of excuse for “letting off the gas” while they’re competing for 1st in the league is really weird. If you’re going to say that, then you could say McDavjd was just “letting off the gas” this season. Or say McDavid was injured this season and would have won otherwise

18/19 -Kucherov by 12.

19/20 - McDavid by 12

20/21 - McDavid by a ton as Kucherov didn’t play. But even using Kucherovs playoff PPG, he’s still way behind. 153 over 82 games for McDavid and 115 for … so McDavid by 3

21/22 - McDavid by a ton ain, but even using PPG he comes ahead by 3

22/23- McDavid by 40

23/24- giving McDavid the same PPG pace as we gave Kucherov the benefit of the doubt for, Kucherov is ahead by 2

In the end, it’s McDavid by 87 points despite giving Kucherov the benefit of extrapolating seasons in his favour.

There’s a clear separation in the two

Last edited:
Reactions: WalterLundy

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

And yet whenever the task at hand isn’t denying Kucherov’s greatness, we Lightning fans hear nonstop about how Point is nowhere near the caliber of Draisaitl and Rantanen. Funny how the narrative changes like that: the Oilers’ and Avs’ secondary stars are clearly far better than the Lightning’s, but yet Kucherov’s accomplishments are diminished because he plays with better players while McDavid and MacKinnon are “one-man offense generators.”

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012

Well 90% might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I do agree for the most part. I would kill to see just one right handed shooting option of that caliber on the Penguins powerplay, let alone 2 of them. But you have to give Kucherov credit for making it run so well, his ability to manipulate the PK set up into opening up those seam passes is unmatched.

The Lightning have what I think is almost the perfect power play set up. Not only can they run it from the right half wall with Kucherov finding Stamkos and Point, but they can also flip it and work to set up Kucherov for the one timer as well. It's very rare for a team to have elite one timer threats on both sides of the ice like they do. Plus they have Hedman who is a strong shooting threat in his own right. It's kind of like those Capitals power plays earlier in OV's career when they had Backstrom dishing to Ovechkin, Semin and Green, if Backstrom had an elite shot as well. That's pretty much what the Lightning have going on.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

A rocket vs no rocket

More Art Ross trophies

More Hart Trophies

More Lindsay awards

Vs

2 team awards.

But sure, he hasn’t separated himself. I’ve also heard Jack Eichel and Nathan Mackinnon are better players too.
again. Kucherov doesnt play with Draisaitl and Kucherov has two SC and two consecutive 40+ points playoff. And he is second best PPG. Both are having 100 assisting seasons.

McDavid has zero SC. Zero. No Stanley Cups. its millions times vastly less Stanley Cups rings. With Draisaitl. Its millions time more Draisaitls than Kucherov has.

So until McDavid doesnt have Stanley Cups, vastly more art rosses, vastly more points, vastly more rockets will not help. Because with having what Kucherov has and what kind of results he produced - his Stanley Cups are McDavid cryptonite. Kucherov is Maroon. Kucherov is Kucherov and now they are in the same tier at least.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto

If you watched all of the games and how many times he sets up his teammates for glorious chances that aren't converted you would feel differently. For every goal that Point scores there are 5+ of the same chance that he misses. There's a reason that Point's shooting percentage is so high and it's because of the quality of looks he gets.

Kucherov does this game after game after game.

Just a few stats to demonstrated this... Kucherov is:

1st in Primary Shot Attempts Created per Game
1st in Scoring Chances Created per Game
1st in Slot Passes

These are stats that have nothing to do with the quality of scorers he plays with

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoek

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008

A rocket vs no rocket

More Art Ross trophies

More Hart Trophies

More Lindsay awards

Vs

2 team awards.

You do realize that the playoffs get harder the deeper you go in for many reasons, not least of which is better competition, and McDavid has only ever been in the kiddie pool? Suggest leaving playoff ppg out of it

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If my goal is to win a Stanley Cup in the short term. The only other forward I would take on my team other than Kucherov Is MacKinnon.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
again. Kucherov doesnt play with Draisaitl and Kucherov has two SC and two consecutive 40+ points playoff. And he is second best PPG. Both are having 100 assisting seasons.

McDavid has zero SC. Zero. No Stanley Cups. its millions times vastly less Stanley Cups rings. With Draisaitl. Its millions time more Draisaitls than Kucherov has.

So until McDavid doesnt have Stanley Cups, vastly more art rosses, vastly more points, vastly more rockets will not help. Because with having what Kucherov has and what kind of results he produced - his Stanley Cups are McDavid cryptonite. Kucherov is Maroon. Kucherov is Kucherov and now they are in the same tier at least.
Yeah Kucherov “only” has Point, Stamkos, Hedman, Sergachev and this guy named Vasilevski who’s been pretty good in the playoffs?

Kucherov has never had a single 40+pt playoff performance, never mind two.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
100 assists as a winger is damn impressive. I doubt we see this achievement reached again for at least a hundred years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad