Kucherov becomes 5th player in history to record 100 assists in a season

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
He absolutely is. Missed a season and a half in his prime due to injury, but otherwise has been right up there with McDavid for most of his prime and far more successful in the postseason. Kucherov and McDavid are this generation’s Crosby and Ovechkin.
i think the only reason id argue this is that McDinglenuts came out of the gates running. Kucherov took a number of years.

Peak is quite similar, though, especially if the injuries you alluded to are accounted for.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The last 100 assist year prior to this, was Wayne Gretzky at 122 in 1991.
Gretzky the year prior had a 'down' year in assists at 102 in 1990.

Man was a machine.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Kinda cheesy to compare modern day players to an entirely different era. I mean, I'm an Oilers fan and McDavid is THE best. But no sense downplaying Kuch's achievement. He had a hell of a season!
Well when you are talking about an all time list you kind of have to compare players across eras.
I'm not sure what exactly you are butthurt about here?

I'm talking about Kucherov potentially being a top 10- 20 player all time and you are trying to fight about that?

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
No 70 :( Oh, well.

Ovi finished one goal shy of 50 in 2017-18. But it was well worth it after the playoffs.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I mean in the sense of dangling his way through a team ala McDavid or Datsyuks of the past.

And that’s what I’m saying, his hockey IQ is just through the absolute roof
Yeah...my bad. Thanks for clarifying. I feel like his game will age better than McDavid's or Mack's or Matthews. It's all 4d chess with Kuch. He doesn't have a lot of talent physically LOL

Reactions: nbwingsfan

WalterLundy

Nov 7, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
Both 100 assists in a season. Mcdavid 153 points career high. Kuch 144 and counting. Very close peak wise
Not going to talk down on the deserving Hart/Ross winner this year but I wouldn’t say that he’s in the same tier. Definitely the clear cut number two though. This is McDavid’s third best season (and marred by injury) and their points per game was still virtually identical with McDavid at a better assists per game. This year though for Kucherov is statistically (and adjusted) just as good/if not better than peak 99 Jagr and what 11 Crosby was pacing for.

Kucherov just finished this year with 144. McDavid from 2020-21 to 2023-24 has 513 in 293 games (1.75). That’s 144 per 82 games for 4 straight seasons. He led outright in goals assists and points last year for the first time since Gretzky in 1987. Was pacing for 70 goals 72 games in. 2021 and 2023 McDavid are a cut above anyone from the cap era but this is the third best single season of it. Congrats to Kucherov on the milestone and historic season. Tampa fans enjoy him he’s a special talent.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
People on this website over rate the ability to score and under rate the ability to win.

Winning is also a skill. Showing up when needed is also a skill. Determination is also a skill.
That’s amazing. McDavid is still clearly the better player.

Yeah...my bad. Thanks for clarifying. I feel like his game will age better than McDavid's or Mack's or Matthews. It's all 4d chess with Kuch. He doesn't have a lot of talent physically LOL
100%
As long as injuries don’t derail him, he’s going to be very good for a very long time and likely will have an argument for best Russian of all time.

As a Wings fan, I hate it. Will one of the elite Atlantic teams PLEASE just start being terrible for the love of god

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Well when you are talking about an all time list you kind of have to compare players across eras.
I'm not sure what exactly you are butthurt about here?

I'm talking about Kucherov potentially being a top 10- 20 player all time and you are trying to fight about that?

lol you wanna fight? name the place bro! anyways, no, I just meant that the game has obviously changed dramatically since then, there's really no way to compare players when they were barely even wearing helmets to what we have now.

At least we can cut Matthews out of the discussion finally.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
oops wrong thread lol. Was following the Leafs game. Matthews not even in the picture now. The silence is so nice.

Last edited:

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
i think the only reason id argue this is that McDinglenuts came out of the gates running. Kucherov took a number of years.

Peak is quite similar, though, especially if the injuries you alluded to are accounted for.
Yeah, that’s why I specified Kucherov’s prime. He took a few years to reach his ultimate level - probably because he had to develop that insane intuition and ability to read the play, while McDavid came into the league a ridiculous natural athlete.

Not going to talk down on the deserving Hart/Ross winner this year but I wouldn’t say that he’s in the same tier. Definitely the clear cut number two though. This is McDavid’s third best season (and marred by injury) and their points per game was still virtually identical with McDavid at a better assists per game. This year though for Kucherov is statistically (and adjusted) just as good/if not better than peak 99 Jagr and what 11 Crosby was pacing for.

Kucherov just finished this year with 144. McDavid from 2020-21 to 2023-24 has 513 in 293 games (1.75). That’s 144 per 82 games for 4 straight seasons. He led outright in goals assists and points last year for the first time since Gretzky in 1987. Was pacing for 70 goals 72 games in. 2021 and 2023 McDavid are a cut above anyone from the cap era but this is the third best single season of it. Congrats to Kucherov on the milestone and historic season. Tampa fans enjoy him he’s a special talent.

Again though, Kucherov missed a season and a half in his prime due to injuries, and in the half season he played he was barely behind McDavid’s scoring pace. So you already have him outscoring McDavid in two seasons, as well as leading him in a third before being passed at the very end; if Kuch had stayed healthy those two prime seasons and at least been competitive with McDavid (which almost certainly would have been the case), possibly even beating him in one of them (speculative, but certainly not outside the realm of possibility), it’s difficult to see how you don’t put them on the same tier.

Let’s look at it season by season, starting at the point Kucherov hit his prime (as unlike McDavid who came into the league a physical beast, Kuch needed a few years of exponential growth before reaching his ultimate level):

2017-18: McD 108, Kuch 100. Kucherov was leading before letting off the gas and getting passed at the end of the season. Clearly they were competitive this year.

2018-19: Kuch 128, McD 116. A clear win for Kucherov, who put up what was at that time the highest-scoring season since Lemieux in ‘95-96.

2019-20: McD 97, Kuch 85. A clear win for McDavid, who followed a 12-point loss to Kucherov with a 12-point win over him in a shortened season.

2020-21: Kucherov missed the entire season due to injury. McDavid went beast mode this year so Kucherov certainly would have had his work cut out for him, but considering the incredible postseason Kuch put up while playing through multiple injuries I don’t think we can rule it out. Still, it’s a no-contest between them.

2021-22: Kucherov missed almost half the season due to injury. McDavid scored 123, while Kucherov in the games he did play was pacing for 120. Again, we’ll never know what would have happened had Kuch been able to stay healthy, but clearly he was playing on the same level as McDavid this season.

2022-23: McD 153, Kuch 113. A dominant win for McDavid, who topped Kucherov’s previous total by putting up the new highest-scoring season since Lemieux’s ‘95-96 campaign.

2023-24: Kuch 144, McD 132. A clear win for Kucherov, who once again bests McDavid by 12 points.

So from the time Kucherov hit his stride he’s beaten McDavid’s scoring by double digits twice, been beaten by double digits twice, and been on the same level twice, with one season being missed entirely.

That being the case, I don’t see how you don’t put the two of them on the same tier. You can fairly argue that McDavid has the edge in the regular season as he peaked a little higher, hit his stride sooner upon entering the league, and has stayed healthier, but then Kucherov has been the most dominant postseason player of his generation and one of the greatest of all time. Regardless of how you rank the two, there’s no way the gap between them is large enough to put one of them on a lower tier than the other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Absolutely amazing to go from having only ever had three in the history of the game to two first-timers in the same season. Great time to be a fan of the game.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad