Kucherov becomes 5th player in history to record 100 assists in a season

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
I find it kind of sad that it's the same year that McDavid did it. Should be historical and it feels almost cheapened because two players did it in the same season. Similar to how Lemieux should really be built up more as a player but because he played during the same timeframe as Gretzky he gets lost in the shuffle a bit.

Reactions: Outl4w

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
He’s certainly not, but he’s one HELL of an underrated player. So many lists didn’t even have him in the top 10
Yeah. with two cups and finals and huge succesfull impact in play off may be he isnt in the same tier.

Overall second best PPG after McDavid joined the league.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He’s kind of the perfect example of being able to think the game at a high level is the best trait a player can have.

He’s not incredibly fast, no cannon of a shot, and you rarely see any highlight real plays.

But he just “gets it” and manages to slow the game down to his speed and always seems to be a step ahead of everyone in knowing where his teammates or the defenders will be/act

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yeah. with two cups and finals and huge succesfull impact in play off may be he isnt in the same tier.

Overall second best PPG after McDavid joined the league.
He definitely has a strong argument to be #2 behind McDavid.

It’s still clearly McDavid at #1

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I'm still gonna give that to Ovechkin. Even as a Lightning fan
I mean, Kucherov got to a Gretzky-tier statistic. Ovechkin might actually break the Gretzky goal record. It isn't comparable. Ovechkin is all time in his own kind of way

It’s hard to argue against Ovechkin’s regular-season goal total, but if you ask yourself who you’d rather have in the postseason it becomes a very different question. Ovi has the individual numbers but Kucherov elevates his team on a level rarely seen before. He’ll go down as one of the greatest playmakers of all time, just as Ovi will as one of the greatest goal scorers.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
He’s kind of the perfect example of being able to think the game at a high level is the best trait a player can have.

He’s not incredibly fast, no cannon of a shot, and you rarely see any highlight real plays.

But he just “gets it” and manages to slow the game down to his speed and always seems to be a step ahead of everyone in knowing where his teammates or the defenders will be/act
Not picking on you but if you watch Bolts games regularly...he makes highlight plays constantly. Some are finished...many are not. It's crazy how he sees the ice. His game is 99% mental.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
what a stud. always think this is the year he is gonna fall off and he procees to destroy me in my pool. Congratulations to him. Truly a remarkable accomplishment. Can't be upset with the way the nhl is going. Scoring is way up.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Not picking on you but if you watch Bolts games regularly...he makes highlight plays constantly. Some are finished...many are not. It's crazy how he sees the ice. His game is 99% mental.
I think the poster just wanted to highlight the fact that Kucherov doesn't have the physical gifts of the other top players. He doesn't have McDavid's blazing speed, MacKinnon's brute strength and toughness, or Matthew's incredible shot and accuracy. He's also quite a bit undersized at just 182 pounds but his brain and ability to think the game at a higher level easily make him a match for the other best players.

Hell, despite being a winger, he's probably the closest to Gretzky in terms of style and skills among the top players.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I mean in the sense of dangling his way through a team ala McDavid or Datsyuks of the past.

And that’s what I’m saying, his hockey IQ is just through the absolute roof

Reactions: T REX

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Hell, despite being a winger, he's probably the closest to Gretzky in terms of style and skills among the top players.

He really is. Obviously there’s no comparison in terms of accomplishments (and that’s true of any other player, past or present), but in terms of play style and dominating with mostly average (by NHL standards) physical attributes, he’s the closest we’ve seen to The Great One.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad