Speculation: Kronwall ideal fit for the Maple Leafs?

Should we trade Kronwall for futures?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
This did start from our Finnish board. Toronto fans there are speculating, that Mike Babcock would want his trusted defenceman on his team.

Kronwall has played 10 seasons, 654 regular season games + 104 playoff games under Babcock. Kind of everything of his career is "made" by Babcock. He knows 110% what he would get.

This sounds reasonable.

Toronto is searching for a veteran help on their back end, they also need a right-side defencemen, but could add left-side veteran like Kronwall to play on 3rd pair.

Kronwall has no NTC or anything, I think he could be motivated for another and his career-ending Stanley Cup push he hasn't experiment for a while.

Kimmo Timonen --> Chicago trade value could be the comparable, I remember it was 2nd rounder + conditional 4th round pick, if the team reaches conference final or something like that.
Where do you come up with Kronwall having no NTC? He has a MOD-NTC and can accept a trade to 10 teams per Capfriendly.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Where do you come up with Kronwall having no NTC? He has a MOD-NTC and can accept a trade to 10 teams per Capfriendly.

Yeah... kind of meaningless NTC.

Same trade-process or negotiating process anyways. Just shows how those NTC:s are meaningless. He can block 20-teams, which won't ask his services anyways. No-contender ever buys him and the 10-team list includes all realistic buyers = real contenders, which would be worth to join, if he likes to have a final playoff push.

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yeah... kind of meaningless NTC.

Same trade-process or negotiating process anyways. Just shows how those NTC:s are meaningless. He can block 20-teams, which won't ask his services anyways. No-contender ever buys him and the 10-team list includes all realistic buyers.
True it is kind of meaningless, He still pretty much with those 10 teams. Pretty much chooses where he wants to play. And Toronto would be the best possible destination for him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't think he goes anywhere. I also wouldn't find it the least bit surprising if Kronwall has no interest in playing for Mike Babcock ever again and would not okay a move to the Leafs even if he considered a trade.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I don't think he goes anywhere. I also wouldn't find it the least bit surprising if Kronwall has no interest in playing for Mike Babcock ever again and would not okay a move to the Leafs even if he considered a trade.

I'd be disappointed if Kronwall couldn't tolerate Babcock for a cup run. Kronwall knows Babcock has the ability to coach to another championship. Not like he's signing in to play for him long term again.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'd be disappointed if Kronwall couldn't tolerate Babcock for a cup run. Kronwall knows Babcock has the ability to coach to another championship. Not like he's signing in to play for him long term again.

Does Kronwall actually fix their D enough anyway...

I mean I have to be honest if Boston gets healthy and takes that 3 seed, I still favor them to oust the Leafs in Round 1... So there is that when you talk about them as a buyer. I know Toronto should be a buyer, I still view them as the third best playoff team in our division and I think the Sabres are gaining as Dahlin gets more and more comfortable. They are going to have the worst D-core in any of their matchups in my opinion given the four teams they are likely to face. I don't see them catching Tampa for the division so they are getting fed the Sabres or Bruins and I don't think that is great for them in terms of matchups.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I still think they have the best goaltending, Vasi is awesome but prone to have more bad games than Andersen. I don't see Boston being able to handle Matthews and Tavares for 7 games when Toronto has home ice.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I still think they have the best goaltending, Vasi is awesome but prone to have more bad games than Andersen. I don't see Boston being able to handle Matthews and Tavares for 7 games when Toronto has home ice.

I don't believe in Anderson like that at all. We will see. Vasi is a lot better than Andersen for me. I would actually also take Rask personally but understand those that disagree.

Until Morgan Rielly doesn't get owned by Boston's big line I am not sure I care what Matthews and Tavares who one of them would be taken out by a healthy Bergeron are really doing. But that was the problem really Gardiner couldn't check Krejci and he isn't likely to be. Rielly couldn't control the big boy line in their losses and the guy I have seen this year is still on the outscore you plan. They have the same flaws that saw them get lucky to push it to 7 and wilt with the series on the line. Could have just as easily been swept by Boston last year. They got throttled when they weren't on. Of course nothing says Boston will actually get healthy and the Leafs could add something at the deadline that makes me think harder on this. Kronner for their third pairing wouldn't change my opinion on them being a flawed contender. The scoring bursts they use to swing games in the regular season aren't something that typically feature in the league come the post-season. Finesse team with a bad defense doesn't seem like a winning formula even in the "new" NHL.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Given Kronwall's injury record. I doubt there will be teams knocking for him. If Maple Leafs does, I think the only way Kronwall goes is if he thinks they have a real legitimate chance of hoisting the cup.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Seems like a no-brainer, Kronwall needs one last chance to get a Stanley cup, he deserves it. Also it helps the team. What is he worth, a 3rd round pick?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Does Kronwall actually fix their D enough anyway...

Not sure, but what we do know is that Babcock trusts him immensely. There was a period of time after Lidstrom's retirement that Kronwall was arguably the most important player to Babcock's Wings. Hard to imagine ol' Mike wouldn't want him as an option to throw over the boards when playoff stakes are high.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I don’t think anyone is claiming that kronwall “fixes” their D. The question, is does he improve their 3rd pairing. If the answer is yes, TO should try to acquire him.

As for the wings, I would trade him if kronwall gave the ok. It the return was a 1st (I know it won’t be) I’d do it either way, but I don’t burn a bridge with a player who doesn’t want to be traded and is a lifer for say a 5th rounder.

I’d leave it up to kronwall.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I have been a big fan of Kronwall, but being honest, I wouldn't trade for him if I was GM of another team. He isn't the same level Kronwall as even 2 years ago, and honestly there are better 3rd pairing veteran D out there.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If we get a decent return for him, then sure, trade him. We should be able to get a 3rd or 4th for him.

What makes you believe that? And frankly, a 3rd or a 4th even if we could get it is not enough return to make it worth it to me. We need to start getting quality in picks, not quantity. If we are trying to trade guys, trade Nyquist to get a prime position pick, not Kronwall for a mid round guy who probably won't make the league.

We are quickly entering the part of the rebuild where we need to be judicious with who we are giving up and what we're getting back instead of just throwing out whatever we can for whatever return we can get.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
We are quickly entering the part of the rebuild where we need to be judicious with who we are giving up and what we're getting back instead of just throwing out whatever we can for whatever return we can get.
I understand the logic, but why does this apply to Kronwall? He's a shell of his former self, and doesn't really provide anything meaningful enough to retain him.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I understand the logic, but why does this apply to Kronwall? He's a shell of his former self, and doesn't really provide anything meaningful enough to retain him.

It doesn't necessarily apply directly to Kronwall, but I kinda don't think he returns anything meaningful enough to trade him, either. And in my opinion, any phone calls made to try to deal Kronwall are phone calls that would be better used to ask around on Nyquist, Green, or Howard.

I'm not especially beholden to retaining him, but I just can't see it being something that's a material event in Red Wings history.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad