Speculation: Kronwall ideal fit for the Maple Leafs?

Should we trade Kronwall for futures?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This did start from our Finnish board. Toronto fans there are speculating, that Mike Babcock would want his trusted defenceman on his team.

Kronwall has played 10 seasons, 654 regular season games + 104 playoff games under Babcock. Kind of everything of his career is "made" by Babcock. He knows 110% what he would get.

This sounds reasonable.

Toronto is searching for a veteran help on their back end, they also need a right-side defencemen, but could add left-side veteran like Kronwall to play on 3rd pair.

Kronwall has no NTC or anything, I think he could be motivated for another and his career-ending Stanley Cup push he hasn't experiment for a while.

Kimmo Timonen --> Chicago trade value could be the comparable, I remember it was 2nd rounder + conditional 4th round pick, if the team reaches conference final or something like that.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kronwall has mentioned several times that he would love to finish his career playing only for one team. As you mentioned, he doesn’t have any trade protection, but I don’t think the team would trade him without his blessing.

I've heard this same talk from multiple players, and then the trade comes.

Like Chelios, "I'd never play for Detroit" and then he played for 10 years.

Of course you answer for Red Wings reporters that way. I'm loyal and this and that. But it's only 3 months of his life, and another chance for a Cup hunt. When the situation really comes, and he sees how Red Wings is clearly out of the playoffs, and there's a better change to get on his final legs, his mind will probably change.

That trade would be a big gift for the organization. We'll get a better future. That's would be very very much an appreciated thing.

Reactions: golffuul and avssuc

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I'd do it with Kronner's blessing. How was his relationship with Babcock - not everybody likes playing for him afterall. If they got on well, I could see Kronwall willing to make the move as he'd know the coach well and what was expected and it's a geographically close move (assuming Kronwall has a family and would leave them back here for ROS).

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
On paper, Detroit absolutely should trade Kronwall if there's a buyer(s).

But I'd be surprised if anybody was interested, because he's got next to nothing left in the tank, AND he seems to want to finish his career here, AND this franchise seems to want to keep any long-time loyal veterans in house.

So yeah, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I'd sooner expect lightning to strike twice in the same place than the Wings to trade Kronwall.

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
I would be shocked if this happened. Leafs need a defensively inclined RHD, not another PP quarterback - so I don’t see it as an ideal fit for TML. That, along with the fact that he’s a lifelong Red Wing - something the players (Swedes in particular) and management seem to take real pride in, makes me feel like it is unlikely. I leave it totally up to Kronner, though, he’s totally earned the right to choose his own fate in his last half-season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kronwall is moved only if he goes to management and asks and if he asks to be moved, he'll be moved to where he wants to go and we'll get whatever return we can manage.

I don't think it goes that way at all.

This is is how I see 95% of the trade cases:

Kyle Dubas calls first to Holland, "Hi Kenny, is Kronwall available? Babcock would very much like to add him.". Then Holland says to him, that "We like to respect our career-only players, but I'll go to ask what's Kronwall's own opinion." Then Holland asks and Kronwall probably says that "I'll take take few days to consider." Then after few days Kronner gives his opinion of the case, and Holland operates after that, whatever the answer was. Calls for Dubas, that "Kronner will want so stay at Detroit, and retire. No matter what you offer." Or, as another option he could say, "Hi it's Kenny, if we find a deal, he would leave for your team. Let's negotiate. I have consider also other possibilities."

Toronto or the buyer makes the first call. Without that first call, nothing ever happens.

Player asking for a trade is a possibility, but a very rare one.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I've heard this same talk from multiple players, and then the trade comes.

Like Chelios, "I'd never play for Detroit" and then he played for 10 years.

Of course you answer for Red Wings reporters that way. I'm loyal and this and that. But it's only 3 months of his life, and another chance for a Cup hunt. When the situation really comes, and he sees how Red Wings is clearly out of the playoffs, and there's a better change to get on his final legs, his mind will probably change.

That trade would be a big gift for the organization. We'll get a better future. That's would be very very much an appreciated thing.

Even if its just "media speak", there's no way I see Holland trading him without his approval.
I doubt Toronto would have interest in him, and I'm not sure Toronto would be anywhere near to the top of his places he'd want to play outside of Detroit.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I would be shocked if this happened. Leafs need a defensively inclined RHD, not another PP quarterback - so I don’t see it as an ideal fit for TML. That, along with the fact that he’s a lifelong Red Wing - something the players (Swedes in particular) and management seem to take real pride in, makes me feel like it is unlikely. I leave it totally up to Kronner, though, he’s totally earned the right to choose his own fate in his last half-season.
If they thought Larkin wasn't ready for it yet, they should have given Kronner the C this year.

Reactions: waltdetroit

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Don't think he would be laughed out from town, and then play 4 seasons at Top level on the ultimate Contender 1st pair.

It will be more of "Timonen" -ending. Depth role, and then call it quits.
shhhh2.jpg

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I don't think the organization wants a revolving door captaincy. They are looking for someone who will fill the role for many years, as Yzerman (19), Lidstrom (6), and Zetterberg (6) have.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I was saying this for a while. He's depth and good presence for some young swede's they have around particularly Liljegren and Sandin.
Even if its just "media speak", there's no way I see Holland trading him without his approval.
I doubt Toronto would have interest in him, and I'm not sure Toronto would be anywhere near to the top of his places he'd want to play outside of Detroit.
I'm not so sure. Kronwall was front loaded and has minimal money owed to him.

+He would be a decent depth option due to his experience. He might not have functioning knees but he has big game xp and reduced minutes may alleviate health concerns. They have healthy young guys with little xp, diversity isn't a bad idea in case they turn into deer in headlights.

But, above all else I think Kronwall would be valued as a mentor to Liljegren and Sandin. But it's up to him if he wants to accept the role and move on. I would not expect a big return, but I could see a fit.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I’d be happy with him and Glendenning for a 2nd should he wish to be traded. Maybe add in a third since Toronto will be drafting late in each round

Add a 6-7th d man for depth and a 4th line center Babcock is in love with.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I’d be happy with him and Glendenning for a 2nd should he wish to be traded. Maybe add in a third since Toronto will be drafting late in each round

Add a 6-7th d man for depth and a 4th line center Babcock is in love with.

I'd want more for Kronner AND Glenny than a 2nd. For the package of the two I'd start at a 1st + but accept just a 1st. (To a contender) Toronto will have late picks so I value their 1st as a high 2nd rounder.

I think Glenny alone would fetch a second rounder so adding Kronner pushes that package into a late first rounder for me.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't see anybody as willing to part with a 1st for Kronwall and LGD. Maybe a 2nd and a 3rd, or a pair of 2nd rounders at the most.

I'd happily take that return, but I'd be surprised if the Wings dealt those guys.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I was saying this for a while. He's depth and good presence for some young swede's they have around particularly Liljegren and Sandin.

I'm not so sure. Kronwall was front loaded and has minimal money owed to him.

+He would be a decent depth option due to his experience. He might not have functioning knees but he has big game xp and reduced minutes may alleviate health concerns. They have healthy young guys with little xp, diversity isn't a bad idea in case they turn into deer in headlights.

But, above all else I think Kronwall would be valued as a mentor to Liljegren and Sandin. But it's up to him if he wants to accept the role and move on. I would not expect a big return, but I could see a fit.

Experience(especially PO experience) and as a mentor, it makes a ton of sense, but I think Leafs would want someone whose more mobile.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't think it goes that way at all.

This is is how I see 95% of the trade cases:

Kyle Dubas calls first to Holland, "Hi Kenny, is Kronwall available? Babcock would very much like to add him.". Then Holland says to him, that "We like to respect our career-only players, but I'll go to ask what's Kronwall's own opinion." Then Holland asks and Kronwall probably says that "I'll take take few days to consider." Then after few days Kronner gives his opinion of the case, and Holland operates after that, whatever the answer was. Calls for Dubas, that "Kronner will want so stay at Detroit, and retire. No matter what you offer." Or, as another option he could say, "Hi it's Kenny, if we find a deal, he would leave for your team. Let's negotiate. I have consider also other possibilities."

Toronto or the buyer makes the first call. Without that first call, nothing ever happens.

Player asking for a trade is a possibility, but a very rare one.

With most guys, no, it doesn't go that way. With Kronwall, unless he gives the okay on a deal beforehand, I don't think Holland lets the conversation get to the point where he's taking offers on the guy and then begging Kronwall to get the hell off his team.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad