News Article: Kroenke Buys Outdoor Channel

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22781766/outdoor-channel-agrees-227m-purchase-by-nuggets-owner

Outdoor Channel Holdings Inc., the owner of a cable-TV network with hunting and fishing programs, agreed to be bought by Denver-based Kroenke Sports & Entertainment LLC for about $227 million, spurning an earlier offer from InterMedia Outdoors Holdings LLC.

The all-cash transaction offering $8.75 a share represents a 16 percent premium over its share price on March 1, before the bid was first disclosed, Temecula, Calif.-based Outdoor Channel said Wednesday in a statement.

I hope this means that for people like me, who DON'T have Altitude, but HAVE the Outdoor Channel, that either Altitude will just overtake that channel, and then I'll get it!

Not sure if this needed it's own thread, if not then I can move it elsewhere.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Which Kroenke? I thought Josh is the one who runs the team's wallet and his dad Stan no longer does that.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Why acquire a good 1st pair defensemen when you can have the Outdoor Network?

Don't forget he married into the Walmart family....yee haw.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Guys, I want to keep this thread on topic of Kroenke buying The Outdoor Channel. Perhaps I'm a bit more interested in this because it may finally mean that Altitude will come to my cable carrier in Wichita.

So I want to keep this thread as news pertaining to that, and if anyone finds anything out about that, please post it in here.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Guys, I want to keep this thread on topic of Kroenke buying The Outdoor Channel. Perhaps I'm a bit more interested in this because it may finally mean that Altitude will come to my cable carrier in Wichita.

So I want to keep this thread as news pertaining to that, and if anyone finds anything out about that, please post it in here.

I remember when I first moved out to Nebraska one of the first things I did was order Center Ice so I could watch the Avs games. Turn the TV on to tune in for the first game of the season only to find it blacked out. I call Time Warner, they give me the "our engineers are on the case."

Next game comes around, once again blacked out. I call TW, they tell me "our engineers are on the case." I tell them that's the same line of ******** they gave me the last time, so the kid finally does some work to find out the problem. Turns out Altitude broadcasts on DirecTV only out here, but they can still black out games on Center Ice on TW Cable, even though they don't broadcast on TW Cable.

So my alternatives are to either rip out my existing cable/internet deal and go with DirecTV, whom I've heard a LOT of horrible things about, or just settle for the occasional NBCSN/NHLN broadcast and look for illegal bootleg feeds or Moser on the radio. Frankly, as rabid an Avs fan as I am, I've just got too much pride and am too pissed at KSE to kowtow to their demands that I switch Cable providers because they believe eastern Nebraska to be "their" territory.

In short, be careful what you wish for.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I remember when I first moved out to Nebraska one of the first things I did was order Center Ice so I could watch the Avs games. Turn the TV on to tune in for the first game of the season only to find it blacked out. I call Time Warner, they give me the "our engineers are on the case."

Next game comes around, once again blacked out. I call TW, they tell me "our engineers are on the case." I tell them that's the same line of ******** they gave me the last time, so the kid finally does some work to find out the problem. Turns out Altitude broadcasts on DirecTV only out here, but they can still black out games on Center Ice on TW Cable, even though they don't broadcast on TW Cable.

So my alternatives are to either rip out my existing cable/internet deal and go with DirecTV, whom I've heard a LOT of horrible things about, or just settle for the occasional NBCSN/NHLN broadcast and look for illegal bootleg feeds or Moser on the radio. Frankly, as rabid an Avs fan as I am, I've just got too much pride and am too pissed at KSE to kowtow to their demands that I switch Cable providers because they believe eastern Nebraska to be "their" territory.

In short, be careful what you wish for.

KS is in the Altitude broadcast region, but only DirecTV/Dish Network carry it. And I work for my local Cable company.

I am able to order Center Ice and get the Avs games, that's how I watch them, I just can't get the games that are broadcast on NHL Network because they're blacked out for me.

So I'm hoping w/ the acquision of The Outdoor Channel, a channel I'm currently receiving, that Kroenke/Altitude will just either justt re-negotiate w/ Cable/Satellite Broadcasters because they have more leverage w/ having The Outdoor Channel, or they just flat out turn The Outdoor Channel into Altitude, keep some of The Outdoor Channel's programming, mix it w/ Altitude's, including the broadcasting of Avs games...

Basically I'm hoping that this will force either Altitude and/or my Cable Company to come to terms and bring Altitude here, that way I don't have to pay for Center Ice.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I doubt the NHL would let Outdoor Network televise Avs games on a national telecast. It would probably remain regional and go to the same markets that Altitude currently serves. To broadcast it nationally would compete with their other agreements and it would start a NHL v Kroenke battle. That being said, if I was Kroenke I would initiate the battle because I’m guessing at least 50% of the viewers of Outdoor come from this region of the country (the other 50% in SE USA and maybe even some in Canada).

Going out on a limb, Kroenke probably wants to bring soccer to the channel
Going out on a really long limb, Kroenke wants to bid on the whole NHL package next time around. How crazy would that be, considering he doesn’t really give a crap about the team he actually owns?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I doubt the NHL would let Outdoor Network televise Avs games on a national telecast. It would probably remain regional and go to the same markets that Altitude currently serves. To broadcast it nationally would compete with their other agreements and it would start a NHL v Kroenke battle. That being said, if I was Kroenke I would initiate the battle because I’m guessing at least 50% of the viewers of Outdoor come from this region of the country (the other 50% in SE USA and maybe even some in Canada).

Going out on a limb, Kroenke probably wants to bring soccer to the channel
Going out on a really long limb, Kroenke wants to bid on the whole NHL package next time around. How crazy would that be, considering he doesn’t really give a crap about the team he actually owns?

But the NHL would have no control over this if he wants to turn The Outdoor Channel into Altitude. It would be treated as a "Channel Rebranding/Repackaging" (much like when TNN changed to Spike TV)

That's what I'm hoping happens. That he takes The Outdoor Channel, when the sale is completed, and rebrands it as Altitude for those people who have TOC (The Outdoor Channel) but don't have Altitude. It gets his programming into more homes.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
But the NHL would have no control over this if he wants to turn The Outdoor Channel into Altitude. It would be treated as a "Channel Rebranding/Repackaging" (much like when TNN changed to Spike TV)

That's what I'm hoping happens. That he takes The Outdoor Channel, when the sale is completed, and rebrands it as Altitude for those people who have TOC (The Outdoor Channel) but don't have Altitude. It gets his programming into more homes.

I don't think it's that easy though. He can't just rebrand the station and throw Nuggets games on everywhere...or Avalanche games.

From the altitude website - http://www.altitude.tv/about-us/altitude-sports/faq/

Where is Altitude available?
Altitude is available within a 10-State territory of the Rocky Mountain Region including: Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Northern New Mexico, Northeast Nevada and Southwest South Dakota.

Availability in these states is based on NBA and NHL territorial restrictions which determine where Avalanche and Nuggets games can be distributed. Outside of the Altitude territory, Altitude is available in regional Sports Packs (anywhere in the U.S. that Dish Network or DirecTV service is offered), however all Avalanche and Nuggets games will be blacked out. All other Altitude programming is available in these areas.

Colorado Avalanche games are available in the following areas: Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas (except for Kansas City), Nebraska, Montana, Idaho, Utah, Northern New Mexico and Northeastern Nevada.

Denver Nuggets games are available in the following areas: Colorado, Wyoming (except for Evanston), Nebraska, Kansas, Northern New Mexico and Southwestern South Dakota. Collegiate game blackouts are determined on a game by game basis.

The NHL, NBA, and some college conferences place territorial restrictions on the distribution of certain teams or games. Altitude and its cable/satellite distributors must follow these mandated territorial restrictions, which is why you may not receive a specific game, depending on your location.

I think the KC area in Kansas must be in the territory of the St Louis Blues and the Evanston WY territory is in the Utah Jazz area. The NHL and NBA have definitely drawn lines on the map here.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Kroenke has been in the news quite a bit lately. Just nothing about the Avs. He doesn't like to talk about the red headed stepchild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad