Confirmed with Link: Kristian Näkyvä signs with Predators

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
No one has pointed out that his first year in the Finnish league he was on the same team as another guy who was the same age, a couple inches smaller and a couple pounds lighter: SAMI VATANEN. I'd take that in a heart beat!!!

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
No one has pointed out that his first year in the Finnish league he was on the same team as another guy who was the same age, a couple inches smaller and a couple pounds lighter: SAMI VATANEN. I'd take that in a heart beat!!!

That's like saying we should sign this guy because he was on the same team as Forsberg in Sweden.

If Nakyva comes over during the summer and works with our conditioning staff, I have no concerns about him needing to bulk up. I'm still not convinced he makes the team, but he could at least be useful depth for us if he doesn't.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
Sami Vatanen had practically double his amount of points...

I'm sure Vatanen was twice the offensive player Nakyva is, but I'd still like to believe that the scouts saw something within the coaching structure and positional play to believe that a similar sized D, with similar age, and skating skills could be of benefit to the organization. I'd take half a Sami Vatanen offensively...

Sigismund

Feb 17, 2012
I'm sure Vatanen was twice the offensive player Nakyva is, but I'd still like to believe that the scouts saw something within the coaching structure and positional play to believe that a similar sized D, with similar age, and skating skills could be of benefit to the organization. I'd take half a Sami Vatanen offensively...

I'd agree mostly what Padawan already said about Näkyvä (we support the same team JYP Jyväskylä here in Finland it seems). Näkyvä has an upside with his offensive talent, but he's a bit different type of player than Vatanen, who was a flashy coast-to-coast kind of guy when need be at least back here in Finland. Compared to Vatanen, Näkyvä is more of a stay-at-home d-man, but has his strenghts also on PP. He made mistakes every now and then when he played in Finland, and sometimes choked on the blue line - the thing Vatanen never usually did. He's not as fast either, but on the other hand does play better all-around game than Vatanen. Is that enough in the NHL, I obviously hope so, but there was a reason why he wasn't sorely missed when he left JYP (there was a bunch of Näkyvä-"haters" in JYP fans due to his lack of consistency). Hopefully his time in Sweden and with Luleå has helped him get better and consistent, but quite frankly I was a bit surprised that Preds signed him. Still, hope for the best, because after all he does have what it takes to become a NHL-player, but I wouldn't count on it.

("Näkyvä": that must be a helluva name to pronunciate for most people except for the Finns)

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
When it comes to Dmen and this organization, they have the track record of finding good ones. There was something there or they wouldn't have bothered.

Sigismund

Feb 17, 2012
Oh and what everyone seems to have forgotten: Näkyvä also dates Miss Finland 2013. Maybe that was a factor.

Sigismund

Feb 17, 2012
Uh, hello? You do know who our top center is married to, right?

No I don't, I'm sorry. Sarah Palin? Did I win something? Quite frankly I don't even know who is your top center, I'm here just to make dubious remarks on Finnish players and act like a donkey.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
No I don't, I'm sorry. Sarah Palin? Did I win something? Quite frankly I don't even know who is your top center, I'm here just to make dubious remarks on Finnish players and act like a donkey.

Mike Fisher is married to Carrie Underwood ( just for your general information. ) It doesn't get much hotter than her imo.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I believe he could be a successful defenseman in the NHL. I just think we should've given him a 2-year contract just for the fact that I think he will need a year to adjust to North American style. Let him adjust in the system carefully, he could come time to time to replace injuries, and bring him in the big league for a permanent role in 2016-2017. He could become a poor man's Roman Josi. I believe in him because we have a famous history of producing solid NHL defenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad